Can we have Another Notepad with SP2.0?

Notepad2 is very nice looking at, but when I open a file more than 30Kb, it lags terribly. It takes ages to load the file, and scrolling is very slow.

The strange thing is that it doesn't happend when I open an htm file with it.

But for editing code specific software such as Notepad++ are better.

Notepad should for txt files basicaly.

Now, I would like to know how to revert to normal Notepad without uninstalling the package...even if I havev to use wordpad for large files.

It would be great to have something like the old Notepad but without the file size limitation.

All the Notpad replacement I have seen so far offer too many features. Not easy for handy notes, copy-paste, temporary saving text, quick reading, :no: etc

Notepad2 is very nice looking at, but when I open a file more than 30Kb, it lags terribly. It takes ages to load the file, and scrolling is very slow.

The strange thing is that it doesn't happend when I open an htm file with it.

But for editing code specific software such as Notepad++ are better.

Notepad should for txt files basicaly.

Now, I would like to know how to revert to normal Notepad without uninstalling the package...even if I havev to use wordpad for large files.

It would be great to have something like the old Notepad but without the file size limitation.

All the Notpad replacement I have seen so far offer too many features. Not easy for handy notes, copy-paste, temporary saving text, quick reading, etc

I'm actually considering replacing Notepad2 [quite primitive] in 98SE2ME with the more sofisticated PFE [my favorite :)]. See details here:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#TXT

Thanks!

i choosed Metapad :thumbup

Works good. Only 95Kb extracted!

Features:

Persistent window placement

Dirty file notification

Intelligent Find and Replace

External viewer support (e.g. web browser)

Usable accelerator keys (Ctrl+S, Ctrl+N, etc.)

Dual customizable font support

Optional Quick Exit (Esc key)

Configurable tab stop setting

Auto-indent mode

Go to Line/Column

Seamless UNIX text file support

Block indent and unindent (Tab, Shift+Tab)

Recent files list

WYSIWYG printing

Snazzy status bar & funky toolbar

No file size limit! (under Win9x)

Hyperlink support

User interface language plugins

But why did you include Notepad2, it was realy not the editor of choice...

PFE is very good too.

Except there isn't one thing that is very important to me whatever the app: a resizable open dialog window.

And PFE is already too advanced, it's like a script/code editor. My conception is that Notepad should be a minimal app just to see text quickely and type some infos inside.

PFE could play this role, if it was set by default to look like notepad (no statu bar, no tool bar etc).

The best would to ask the user what kind of Notepad they want during the installation process.

Choices, choices, choices.......................

You can please some of the people all of the time,

you can please all of the people some of the time,

but you can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time.

So my dear departed Mum would say :D

Guys, epsecialy Gape,

We are talking about Notepad replacement, not MS-Office Word replacement. ;)

personaly I don't want to have 5 rows of toolbars+a system bar, everytime I want to view a password saved in a txt file... (see above what I mean by notepad)

Note that AbiWord looks great and would make a great replacement for Wordpad.. I will give it a try.

Here you go Freddie: 46K only.... yes, there's 64K limit, but it's tiny in comparison........ http://freewarehome.com/software/newpad.html

Smaller than Metapad & with no size limit, don't think this kind of animal exists...

btw fetch your pw with this one, just hover your cursor over the file and see the first part of its stored text

I didn't see Notetab mentioned...it's always been very nice for me....(I like PSPad but it's too heavy for just text editing...).

Of course go for the free version.....(I am the FreewareKing!!!)

Notetab

fyi, I have an amatuer freeware site if anyone is interested....I am lazy and it hasn't been updated in a while, but there are some nice links there...

In case anyone cares!! FreewareKing