New Version

dhs13

Jeeez, has anyone actually tried this new version? Seems awful quiet ...

Me! Without any problem: everything is OK :thumbup

Except what I said in your list:

(1) In the old XPCREATE.INI, there was a DLAUTO which seems to be replaced by DLLOCAL, but the new XPCREATE create the .INI with DLAUTO.

(2) MD5.EXE is not in the distribution; may I take the old one from the previous XPCREATE ?

(3) DOWNLOAD.EXE is not in the distribution; may I take the old one from the previous XPCREATE ?

(4) My XPCREATE.INI contains RENAMEF=NO

I have the following files:

a} SVC-MSX\NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe (10 703 680 bytes)

b} SVC-MSX\NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86.exe (1 577 248 bytes)

They are renamed:

a} CDROOT\I386\SVCPACK\NDP11S~2.EXE (10 703 680 bytes)

b} CDROOT\I386\SVCPACK\NDP11S~1.EXE (1 577 248 bytes)

SVCPACK.INF contains:

[setupHotfixesToRun]    ...

NDP11S~1.EXE /QN

NDP11S~2.EXE /QN

So, because NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86.exe is applied _BEFORE_ NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe, Win Updates says that it has to be updated :(

With RENAMEF=YES, there is no such problem.

(5) I think that XPCREATE is doing something wrong when it renames the files: That's because it does not accept spaces in filenames :(.

1st I'd like to thank GreenMachine for all his hard work time and effort he put in to the new version of XPCREATE. :thumbup

2nd Please don't send me private email about your problems and/or questions about the new XPCREATE please post them here so that the authour (GreenMachine) is aware of them this way he can make any necessary changes and help you get it working.

ok now that is out of the way I did try it over the weekend......

test 1-win2000

- did not auto make the file folder so used the web site as a referance and created/copied the folders I needed. I did notice that SVC-PRE was not listed but I added it any way.

- did 1st run all worked well but the hot fix Q818043_W2K_SP5_x86 was missing

both problems are comfermed here - http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=39202

test 2-win2000 :thumbup no problems to report

I am still testing it with XPpro will report latter on that.

Thanks GM. Sucessfully created and tested Win2k and XP pro with new version. Worked flawless after taking care of above noted issues. To these I will add this small one. (not really an error, just unexpected behavior)

When you run XPCREATE for the first time before editing INI, as you would do to initialize directories in previous version, new program immediatly starts searching for cdsource. If you have a zip drive with no disk in it you get a loud red-x error message CMD.EXE - NO DISK

"There is no disk in the drive E:" with buttons "Cancel" "Try Again" "Continue"

as noted, this is not really an error, but It might be better if the program could trap and ignore this condition if cdsource is not actually set to zip drive.

EDIT:

After looking at the log it appears XPCREATE is processing a mapped drive on my networked laptop (drive W:, where there IS a i386 folder, but not the one I want to use). This is what is written to the log before getting "Drive E:" message. strange since it seems to be processing network drive w: at the time.

XPCREATE.LOG.TXT

Thanks GM

As allways the best Unattended Cd Maker, Worked fine but a newbie may have problems cause the folders inside Xpcerate don't automatically pop up and the iso doesn't boot ok but i used Nero to make a bootable cd as allways.

But i had a little problem with Windows media connect (Folder sharing cannot be started. the dependency service or group failed to start) when i want to open it after installation

THANKS GM FOR YOUR WONDERFUL PROGRAM

@mdes:

1) DLAUTO and DLLOCAL are not used by XPCREATE itself. That is parts of a work in progress, and should cause no harm.

2) MD5 was only used for downloading, which is not included in that version.

3) Same as #2

4) That is exactly why I suggest RENAMEF=YES, Otherwise, rename with short file names that sort correctly.

5) I thought I had all the long files names in order. I'll keep an eye on it. Note that I have no control over the XXXXXX~1.EXE names generated by Windows.

@dman: I look into that soon, but I always had troubles with zip and mapped drives ...

I still am surprised by CDs that cannot boot ... mine always work fine.

I'll be checking into the search for boot file stuff very soon as well.

And, yes, I forgot that one update, Q818043_W2K_SP5_x86 , which is only needed for 2000 Professional, and not 2000 Server.

@mdes:

5) I thought I had all the long files names in order. I'll keep an eye on it. Note that I have no control over the XXXXXX~1.EXE names generated by Windows.

I don't think so :P : see my post in your mailing list (...Journal Viewer... was not put in SVCPACK.INF, while ...JournalViewer... was); and there was an error in the XPCREATE.LOG file :yes: saying something like "File not found"...