How to make a 7-Zip Switchless Installer

keytotime

DLF,

I just winrar for PowerDVD since u only get 50kb savings using 7zip.

I assure u that the PowerDVD guide does work.

Here is my list of apps

Photoshop CS

Illustrator CS

FrontPage 2003

Office Suite 2003

FireFox

Adobe Acrobat

Adobe Acrobat Pro

NetFrameWork

Norton Internet Security 2005

Hi!

I'm darn sure that these files are not needed (assuming that it has been installed):

:: instmsia.exe

:: instmsiw.exe

Any1 can comfirm whether I should leave this from the archive?

If I archive all, execute the .MSI in config.txt, but the system don't have MS Installer installed, will the 7-zip switchless installer work?

My theory is that if this doesn't work, i might as well call the setup.exe from config.txt so that it will install MS Installer if non detected in the system.

The folder in question contain:

setup.exe

setup.ini

test.msi

instmsia.exe

instmsiw.exe

0x0409.ini

thanx ryan,

actually i'm targetting to install these switchless installers on Windows 98SE system ...

these installers contain some USB mass storage device drivers which only requires Windows 98SE :)

looking at the drivers' size floating around 4-5MB, i planned to do this switchless installers in order to reduce the package size ...

but, i noticed that the only large files for the drivers are these 2 MS Installers ...

this installation of Installshield packaged is making me nuts :)

after extraction, the temp files in the Temp folder will be removed after 3-4 secs.

I've added this:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="setup.exe /SMS"
;!@InstallEnd@!

... and it's still being deleted off the Temp folder, making it near-impossible to finish the setup ...

the only way to continue is to immediate pressing Next button so that the installation can be finished :(

@Astalavista

Yes I can do PowerDVD with Winrar with my eyes shut. Works great. Its 7z ones I'm having trouble with thats why I've used this thread instead of the PowerDVD thread! :whistle:

P.S. Asta = We can all claim we've got Adobe Reader and .NET Framework to work when all we do is download them off RyanVM! In that case then I've got 3 to work cos I use his Java runtime too!

P.P.S. I've just d/l Ryan's customised 7zS module and I will have a dabble with that now.

P.S. Asta = We can all claim we've got Adobe Reader and .NET Framework to work when all we do is download them off RyanVM! In that case then I've got 3 to work cos I use his Java runtime too!

huh?

We can all claim?

pls refer to the links in my sig

about 50% of my apps are 7zip

i guess i am just lucky.

:thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

first, i've been enjoying making 7Z Switchless Installers! Thanks to 'keytotime' for posting the guide here and at MSFN.org. Kudos!

second, is there a special switch for installers packed by InstallShield?

the reason i'm asking this because all of my 7Z Installers having its temporary files deleted before the installation is completed.

i've followed exactly of the steps listed here, compressing went well, packing went well ...

however, when i tried to execute the 7Z installers, the extracted temp files in the TEMP folder will be deleted just about 3-4 seconds after loading the InstallShield Installer.

I peeked the TEMP folder just to see what's wrong. During 7Z extraction, the files were extracted fully. But, after 3-4 secs, most of the files are deleted, leaving just some IS files (which were used to load the IS Installer).

any1 experiencing this?

p/s: thinking of it, this scenario also happens when i use PackageForTheWeb to pack. the files will just *disappear*.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...