HARDDRIVE problem help corrupt data orphan files

Ok so my hard drive is a 160 GB , partitioned in to :

40GB

109GB

(the bigger the drive the bigger the overhead :rolleyes: )

Now my drive keeps getting corruption all over it, I will save a file and then a few days later it wont be able to be read, I will capture a TV show, a few days later the 30mins show will only register as 3mins long :( it has happened many times before.

I know that it is not a virus or a heat issue now. I also have been told that using partition magic may have been the cause as files are being copied to other drives etc.

When i used to have it as master is would not boot now and then with a "no operation system installed" and the partition would vanish!

On proforming a CHKDSK /F on the drive/partiton i would get errors like "Deleting orphan file $FILENAME.TXT " and it would do this for the whoel drive, after this it would scroll the screen with "recovering file $FILENAME.TXT" etc and scroll the screen with the whole drive.

I'm have tried everything, there is no bad sectors (from a scan) but could there be any other physical errors? Both partitions seem to have these errors that’s why I thought maybe it was a "illegal" partition size or something.

Please guys and girls! Any help would be very appreciated

Regards

cyph

this shouldnt matter, but i bet its not a seagate hard drive. I have problems not like your describing with nearly every maxtor hdd, and a few western digitals.

hows the disc partitioned? what filesystem ntfs / fat32 / ???

what did you use to partition the data? partition magic?

is this a IDE, SATA, or SCSI hard drive?

if so are the drivers correct?

Try replacing the cable?

are the jumper thingies on the hard drive correct?

Were these partitions created from a 'blank slate' or did you upgrade/convert existing partitions?

Thanks for the reply :)

Sorry,

The drive is a Western Digital

The drive is NTFS Running Windows XP

I used partition magic to create (i think this may be a bad move now)

It's a IDE interface, and everything seems to be ok.

The master / slave pins are all correct.

if so are the drivers correct?
I'm not sure what this question means :huh:
Try replacing the cable?

This is a good idea, i wasn't thinking in this area at all. (could it also maybe be a bent pin etc?)

The partitions where created from deleting the old ones via partition magic and creating (no format ) new ones.

Was there a easy solution to the problems with the dirves you had?

Regards

cyph

The bent pin is something to look at--- what might happen in that case is the serial # reported for the hard drive would be off by a digit or two. If you happen to have it handy, you could quickly run Belarrc Advisor..... Alternatively, your Mfg's online registration / diagnostic would hiccup due to unrecognized / unknown serial #.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them if i were you-- even if you've not registered it, most have a long warranty: 4 years? & will RMA it(copy everything off, you'll likely

get a blank replacement).

This is not likely, but if by chance you see any other issue, such as corrupted downloads and/or zipped archives, then i'd look at the ram as a culprit...

One thing i harp on continuously, is hard disk temps: most of us monitor case, cpu, gpu temps: extra fancy heat sinks / blowers go on those-- but few of us even notice the usually empty & covered up front fan slots that could be blowing nicely on the dis©ks.......

Good Luck......