Framedyn.dll and Srclient.dll missing

BallTongue

We are getting closer to the issue: after my working custom installs, I added different things in, one by one--none of the component removal seems to break it so far (I did not really expect it to), but adding in a collection of the add-on CABs severely broke it again ... Now to find the culprit(s). userus suggests that XPize doesn't work well with one of the updates (KB907265), so that could in fact be all there is to it (I wonder if the XPize Beta release might fix this..?), since this is among the CAB add-ons that I integrate in the hotfixes section. XPize would make sense, because of how it works, and because I just don't see how a few CPL, context menu and Windows Update add-ons could be responsible for breaking the installation so severely. So what I'm trying now is (I did not see the userus post before I started this, unfortunately): take my working install (with SP2 and RyanVM updates already integrated), MANUALLY XPize it (not using nLite to integrate XPize), THEN take nLite and finish the job. I thought perhaps this would overcome the conflict pointed out by userus ... However, I'm not hopeful, because I'm sure it's that XPize screws around with MMC 3.0 files that it shouldn't be touching! :wacko:

So here's an idea: take out MMC 3.O Pre-Release (KB907265) from RyanVM's Post-SP2 Update Pack, integrate everything as normal, then integrate MMC 3.0 afterwords...? Only problem, I don't know how to make MMC integration occur after XPize in the process--except to manually install after Windows is installed...? Or just give up on using XPize, until and if when it is fixed (XPize is not exactly mission critical--it's just cool in that it makes Windows a little less boring without bogging it down in like a lot of eye candy). (Does anybody know if the XPize creator is aware of updated MMC conflict?) Another idea: nlite with XPize and RyanVM Update Pack, then redundantly apply the Post-SP2 Update Pack (to fix the XPize-corrupted MMC) by running nLite again...?

Surprising Update

Okay, I actually got it to work without errors, like this (I thought it was just to simple to work): I took my previous working customized OS (already slipstreamed with SP2 + all SP2 updates, with a bunch of tweaks added and components removed), then manually applied XPize, then re-ran nLite to integrate drivers and make a couple of other changes, but I waited to make the ISO--instead I extracted with RyanVM SP2 CAB, took all of the mmc files (exe and dll), copy them over to my newest custom install, then fired up nLite again and made the ISO, then ran it in VMware ... (drum roll) ... with no errors. Can it really be that simple? Well, so far, everything seems to be intact (no missing services, mmc snap-ins, dlls, etc.). BTW, it appeared that only two mmc files were different in size: the mmc.exe and the mmcshellext.dll--so it's poosible that merely replacing these two will solve the whole problem. (?) My premature conclusion is that screwing up those two pesky files causes a cascade failure, preventing inclusion of at least 7 basic Windows services and 2 important DLLs, and thus severely disembowels the whole install. (It gives a whole new meaning to an Achilles Heel...)

One side note that makes Microsoft suck on this issue: you can't check Windows update with your install until you activate it (they should AT LEASET allow you to see if you need any, show them to you, but not let you download and install them)--which obviously is not going to fly when (in this case) I would be calling them up 15 times to activate this copy...! So in order to check the stupid thing, I would have to crack a legitimate copy of XP. My experience with this whole WGA and Activation thing is it just causes legitimate and legal users(and custom builders like ourselves) continual annoyances, without stopping even a newbie hacker from cracking XP--in other words, it's just an id*** way to protect your product (punish legal users, p*** of OEM builders, make illegal users laugh--sure, that's a real good formula for protection and security). If any of you happen to ever speak to an MS representative, I encourage you to complain--I do and I have, and they will listen (believe it or not). Okay, no more soapbox. Sorry.

For now, I'm happy that a long week and half of pulling my hair out in frustration may be over.

Oh, and thanks to userus for the tip (I appreciate someone struggling to explain something in a language not native to them--I certainly couldn't have done it the other way around). So I hope that userus can understand this thanks at least.

Edited by nowinscenario

@nuhi,

As always, thank you very much for giving us nLite.

Great piece of software :thumbup .

Too bad it needs DotNet...

But there's already so many tools out there nowadays that need DotNet that anyway it's starting to become "a must have" in every PC.

@userus

I'm sorry buddy but I'm affraid I didn't understand a word of what you were saying :(.

Maybe you could write it in your native language and we could use babelfish to translate it.

How about that?

I'm saying this because I get the feeling that you are closer to giving a good tip to nuhi than anybody else here.

And I would really like to get rid of this annoiance.

Anyway thanks for all your efforts so far.

@nowinscenario & @nuhi

I myself have been facing this problem lately on a lot of VMWare trials.

I even thought it could be related with VMWare so, silly me, I decided to try this on a real PC just to find out that it's a real...how shall I call it...a bug?

Anyway, just to let you know that:

- I always use XP-SP1a as a source.

- I sleapstream SP2 on it and close nLite.

- I download latest RyanVM pack and latest RVMIntegrator.

- I also download some RVM add-ons such as:

Kels_AudioShellExt_addon_v1.1.CAB
Kels_AutoPlay_addon_v1.1.CAB
Kels_Bootvis_addon_v1.1.cab
Kels_CabTool_addon_v1.8.CAB
Kels_ClearType_addon_v1.1.CAB
Kels_MemTest_addon_v1.cab
Kels_myuninst_addon_v1.33.CAB
Kels_UPXShell_addon_v1.cab
MrsP_PowerOff_Addon_v3.0.1.3.cab
MrsP_Rainlendar_Addon_v0.22.1.cab
MrsP_uTorrent_Addon_v1.5.437-QL.cab
shxZacam_AttributeChanger-v5.23_addon.cab
Themes_Kel_OSminimal2_Addons_v1.4.cab
Themes_Kel_RoyaleMod_Addons_v1.2.cab
Xable_CalcPlus-v1.2_addon.cab
Xable_Contig-v1.0_addon.cab
Xable_Foxit-v2.0_addon.cab
Xable_HashTab-v1.9_addon.cab
Xable_HighMAT-v1.1_addon.cab
Xable_Sysinternals-v2.1_addon.cab (this one I'm still using although it break the EULA but since Sysinternals didn't answer Ryan and since I read the EULA...)
XAddon_Unlocker-Full-v1.8.1.cab

- I integrate RVMUpdatepack 2.0.4 and the RVM Add-ons with the integrator.

Now, if I don't remove stuff, such as for instance Internet Explorer, and I only integrate some hardware drivers and ask nLite to create and ISO everything works perfectly.

Which means, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this rules out RVMUpdate pack and the add-ons.

Now, if I remove some stuff from WinXP then I get a "rundll32.exe - Unable to locate component - This application failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.".

And then I get a "RUNDLL - Error loading srclient.dll - The specified module could not be found.".

Everytime I right-click My Computer icon I get the srclient.dll message.

Hope I have sometime today to run some tests without RVM's update packs and add-ons.

Maybe I can try to narrow the possibilities to a point that nuhi can actually catch the s**ker :D.

BTW, I don't use XPize one my unattended XP CDs ;).

Cheers

Last_Session.ini

Edited by rds_correia

I'm having the same problem. I've followed this step :

- nLite1.0RC7

- RyanVM Integrator (for french pack which isnt compatible with nLite)

At the final reoot, when my batch try to use taskkill.exe, it doesnt work because Framedyn.dll is missing. I'm gonna try in this order :

- RyanVM Integrator

- nLite1.0RC7

Hold on a minute!

I just did another trial with the same settings as before but this time I didn't apply RVMUpdate 2.0.4 or any of the add-ons AND I didn't add my SIS SATA drivers.

This time around the nLite'ed XP does not show any signs of framedyn.dll/srclient.dll being missing at all.

Everything is working as it should!

Now, I'm going to use the same settings.ini and I'm going to add my SATA drivers and I'll test it with VMWare.

If it works, I'll make another nLite'ed XP based on the same settings.ini and this time I'll add RVMUpdate 2.0.4 with nLite and not with RVMIntegrator -> For now, no add-ons will be added.

If everything works fine, I'll give it another shot using the same procedure and this time adding the SATA drivers, adding RVMUpdate 2.0.4 AND I'll only add add-ons that I have always worked fine, meaning, no new add-ons that I downloaded lately.

I'll catch the little SOB that has been giving me sleepless nights :D.

Cheers

EDIT: I have just finished an nLite'ed UACD with RVMUpdate 2.0.4 integrated from nLite's options and using the already mentioned Settings.ini file.

This means that it's either RVM_Integrator or one of the add-ons.

248_F1_temp.ini

Edited by rds_correia

I don't have time to read carefully but here goes something important:

Never keep nlite running in background while upgrading your source because nlite keeps some important files in memory for fast access and on apply it overwrites them with modified versions...meaning if you kept it at apply and did something you'll make hell.

Just turn it off until you think on using it in one go.

Hi nuhi :),

I think I get the picture but I only open nLite when I have everything set to start building a new UACD.

And for the record, I think this has something to do with RVM addons or RVMIntegrator.

I am currently installing a new UACD on a VMWare that I built ONLY using nLite.

No RVMIntegrator used this time.

I'll let you know when I'm done.

@all,

For those having this problem: do you install RVM addons or use the RVMIntegrator?

Cheers

UPDATE: just finished installing that UACD and the problem is back.

Which means that RVMUpdate 2.0.4, RVM Integrator 1.2.2 and nLite 1.0rc7 don't have any problem.

The issue is add-on related.

I'll try to catch the little SOB and I'll let you know afterwards.

Cheers

Edited by rds_correia

rds_correia throws a wrench in the machine by saying that he doesn't use XPize, so now I'm puzzled--but one thing seems to be for sure now: one or more add-ons, or (more likely, as it is appearing), combination of add-ons, is causing the problems we're all experiencing in variations.

After further testing of my last supposedly working install, I discovered that some essential networking components missing; however, this, in fact, may be a VMware problem now because I removed legacy networking adapter components which VMware might require to make an internet connection. Other than this, though, all the other myriad problems I've been having seem to have disappeared by replacing those MMC files that XPize seems to mess up.

The thing is, if you look at that pre-release MMC 3 on MS, they list several known issues with using it that may or may not play into some of these problems.

I'm am now going to test an install without XPize and without removing legacy networking components to see if this fixes everything--then, for whatever all the specific reasons, I will have identified the source(s) of at least many of our problems.

More on this later after my next test build ... I'm sooo close...

Anybody no the easiest way to just remove the MMC 3 from the RyanVM Update pack...?--just remove the kb exe file and the two mmc 3 files...?--then try integrating it (or is more complicated than that? will it mess up RyanVM's install...?)....

Edited by nowinscenario

I have successfully narrowed it to the following addons from RyanVM site:

- Kels_AudioShellExt_addon_v1.1.CAB

- Kels_MemTest_addon_v1.cab

- Kels_myuninst_addon_v1.33.CAB

- MrsP_PowerOff_Addon_v3.0.1.3.cab

- MrsP_Rainlendar_Addon_v0.22.1.cab

- MrsP_uTorrent_Addon_v1.5.437-QL.cab

- shxZacam_AttributeChanger-v5.23_addon.cab

- Siginet_Codecs_OpenSourceMpeg_Decoder_Splitter1.0.0.1_Addons_Beta1.1.cab

- Xable_Foxit-v2.0_addon.cab

Please note that I chose NOT to install these on a random choice.

Some of these addons are quite young and some of these addons are quite old.

One thing's for sure: I have full confidence on their authors and for safety sake I have downloaded them again and will play with them tomorrow since it's already 2:30am.

Cheers

Hmmm, the only two add-on CABs that we share in this ordeal is shxZacam_AttributeChanger-v5.23_addon.cab and Kels_AudioShellExt_addon_v1.1.CAB ... So I would perhaps concentrate on those two, at least for your end of the problem(s). My problems may be either or both of these AND the MMC/XPize conflict combined together, which conspire to make my life hell. I'll also report back ASAP. Right now, I'm so sick of all this, I'm going to treat myself to a movie (V for Vendetta), and relax...

rds_correia: any more narrowing it down? Sorry, I had to take a little longer break than I originally planned--I was just going at it for far too long, getting burned out. I'm starting up again tonight and hope to have it ironed out by the end of the week at the latest (I really need to get started on my backlog of clients that have been waiting for me to solve this mystery)...

Problems in variation again, latest build. Did it in this order: integrated SP2 into SP1a XP Pro using nLite, no add-ons, no drivers, no update packs, then stopped; then manually integrated XPize by itself, then stopped; then re-ran nLite, integrating drivers and the add-on CABs, RyanVM Post-SP2 Update Pack, and made ISO. Tested in VMware: WMI service disappeared again; framedynn.dll & srclient.dll missing again; IE and Outlook Express icons missing from desktop, start menu and quick launch bar, again. The rest of MMC left intact this time (due to XPize first and post-SP2 updates second), so no hideous problems there. However, I believe rds_correia is on the right track: one or more of the add-on CABs is causing all of the above. Shame on them...

Good News:

Successful build, finally.

1. Started with an nLite'd build of Pro SP1a, SP2 slipstreamed.

2. Ran nLite again, integrated all possible drivers I need (plus a few extras for potential future: nVisa RAID, RAID 5).

3. Integrated all add-on CABs (that I currently use) EXCEPT:

4. I did NOT include (as per rds_correia's investigations) Kels_AudioShellExt_addon_v1.1.CAB OR Xable_ContextAttributes-v1.1_addon.cab (just to be safe, because it might share similar hypothesized problems as shxZacam_AttributeChanger-v5.23_addon.cab--which I confused in my mind earlier).

5. I did NOT include XPize (as per userus' tip) anywhere in the process (I just left this out, because I was so frustrated at this point by the whole process--I think I'm on or around my 15th build now!).

6. I did not really compromise on any of my tweaks or component removals or customizations or options (because I was so confident that eliminating those three items above would eliminate my problems), with a few perhaps notable exceptions.

7. Tested the custom install ISO in VMware, which went flawlessly--except that, for some reason .NET 1.1 add-on CAB did not install, but .NET 2.0 did (but I may have simply not selected it--I was getting very tired, after all).

8. Have been testing it, looking at all the components, peering under the hood--and it looks like everything is where it's supposed to be and everything is functioning like it should ... Whoopee! Just for the sake of completeness I'm going to take that install, run nLite yet again, finish off the rest of the customizations that I held back on, and try to get that missing .NET in the install, too--then test it out one final time...

10. Noticed one odd thing (has not happened before): no audio adapter. Hmmmm... might be a VMware problem because I pulled out all default/legacy audio (leaving only integrated nForce)--but it also looks like I left out one INF that looked redundant (maybe it isn't). I'll try to re-integrate, then instruct VMware to use nForce audio only. We'll see...

11. Made mistake and removed lagacy ethernet, which VMware apparently needs (also noticed on previous build that VMware is using virtual Intel system drivers--so I would say to NOT remove such things as Intel IDE Bus IF you're testing in VMware ... Interestingly, thoug, I removed all display adapters, but VMware seems to be able to get along without them, even though it's using a SiS adapter...?)

Edited by nowinscenario

@nowinscenario,

Hey there :),

Sorry for taking so long to reply but my life has been a mess lately.

Actually I haven't look any further into this mistery.

I have done all my XP installations with an nLite'd XP that is running perfectly.

I'm attaching my settings.ini so you can see what I included and what I removed ;).

Those other addons that I did not include...well...they're not essencial to my work.

So for now I'm happy with what I have.

Cheers

Last_Session.ini

Edited by rds_correia

rds_correia:

Yeah, I now have great custom installs once again (I just leave out the 2 attribute changers and 1 audio context extensions, as well as the XPize--I miss this last, but, oh well, it's not essential: I just liked it because it was non-resource-hogging eye candy enhancements).

The ethernet turned out to not be a problem--the problem was me: I forgot that I limited the amount of users on my router, so it wasn't letting the VMware install connect to the Internet. Strike that from the record.

The .NET was what I thought: I simply forgot to toggle it--so now the install went fine there. Strike it from the record.

VMware uses Creative PCI to power its audio output, so a previous component removal must have interfered with that--but I solved the problem in the current build. Strike that from the record.

I will also attach my last INI session after one more build--I'm doing one more build because of very minor annoyances: one of the application installs, although working, is broken with respect to the CPL add-on, because the author hard-coded "Program Files" in the path, but I change the path to "Installations"); the CDImage GUI CPL add-on does not work (it comes up as unknown/unworking in the Control Panel--don't yet know why, but I suspect it's once again path naming convention discrepencies). I'll have to post to the respective forums to see if the author can fix any of these problems...

Thanks for your helpful input... =;-}