RIS question

jarod670

I hope someone can help me with this. We are currently setting up an W2K3 RIS server in a test environment. We have followed every tid we could find as far as setting it up drivers for our Broadcom and Intel Pro nics. We are having an issue where we delete the .pnf files out of the i386 folder, stop BINL service copy our nic .inf files over and then start the BINL service again. The way I understand it, the BINL service is supposed recreate all the .pnf files as it starts up. When I stop the BINL service, it stops, I add the .inf files, and restart the BINL service. It starts immediately without creating any .pnf files. Has anyone seen this happen, or am I being a moron and missing something?

Yes, I can see the machine. We are trying to add drivers for the newer machines we have, HP d530's and dx2000's, which have a Broadcom Gigabit Extreme and Intel Pro 100 nic's in them. We pushed the image up, edited the riprep.sif file the way we wanted and then tried pulling the image down. With the standard on board nics installed, we couldn't pull the image back down. We tried using an older compaq nic with the RBFG disk and were able to pull it down with all drivers correctly installed. We have seen all the tids on placing one .inf here and three .inf's there for the Broadcom and Intel nics, but just can't seen to make it work. Supposedly, the BINL service is supposed to register these drivers and recreate .pnf files for these nics. Everything we read said that when restarting the BINL service it is supposed to take a while recreating the .pnf files. Ours starts instantaneously without recreating any .pnf files, so we think something isn't working right.

I had some problem with one of my system. Dell Precision 370 wich use Broadcom 57x Gigabit Integrated NIC.

Just after the CIW, Windows setup tells that driver or somewhat is missing.

On broadcom site you have information about this. Yesterday, update the broadcom driver to newest version and they were not working with the RIS setup (in the i386). I dont think the problem is because RIS doesnt creates your PNF file.

You might want to try older driver and see broadcom site for more information. You have to edit them to get them working

Hope this help.

Since im not an english im not sure that i have understood all corectly. If no, i would like to get more precision on your question

Thank you!

We added the Broadcom RIS driver and edited out some of the information out of the .inf and and installed the XP .infs in the i386 folder. According to everything we have read, once we do this we are supposed to restart the BINL service and it should work. But we keep getting the driver error. I don't think we can back rev drivers any more because the only other drivers are for 9x machines. The XP is the same as the 2000 driver. I had problems when we started developing sysprep images, but not to this extent. I don't know what else to do. I have read there are hotfixes for this and are possible in RC1 for SP!, but I see nothing in the release notes. Anyone have any other ideas?

Well, I think we got it figured out, we were trying to put the drivers in the i386 folder for the image we pushed up. We moved them to the actual flat xp image i386 folder and now it seems to be working. Thanks for all your help jfmartel!

Just FYI.. the pnf files will not be created until the first time you try to RIS a client after restarting the BINL service. In fact when I integrate Intel NIC drivers, the first time I try to RIS usually fails with the usual error message about no drivers for the device. I'm not sure if there's a timeout issue or not since that's when the pnf files are created, but the second time I try it always works.

• 1 month later...