Pls expound on actual memory usage W9X

Would someone care to expound on the max possible / mappable memory use in win9x-- little to none dos used.... OR the converse: if is used & in conjunction w. freedos udma enabled....

Vis a vis the total amount of / interplay of all these: max ram w/ max vcache size limit w/ max swapfile size limit w/ max agp aperture size limit w/ max ramdisk size limit.... emmexclude a significant effect on all this?.... 1.5GB ram possible & does that lower corresponging amount limit of other mem size settings..... what amount'd be sitting unused for practical purposes....

Feel free to be as detailed/specific as you wish.....

Thanks, kiddos!

horsecharles:

Would someone care to expound on the max possible / mappable memory use in win9x-- little to none dos used.... OR the converse: if is used & in conjunction w. freedos udma enabled....

Vis a vis the total amount of / interplay of all these: max ram w/ max vcache size limit w/ max swapfile size limit w/ max agp aperture size limit w/ max ramdisk size limit.... emmexclude a significant effect on all this?.... 1.5GB ram possible & does that lower corresponging amount limit of other mem size settings..... what amount'd be sitting unused for practical purposes...

Actually if I were to explain all this, would take hours.

So you need to do some homework, kiddo... B)

D/l W95-11D.EXE [1.25 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/95.htm

install it [hope the install UI looks familiar, it's the same I used in 98SE2ME :)], and then read: MEMORY.TXT, REGIONS.TXT, EMM386.TXT + memory related topics in MYTIPS95.TXT, TIPS95.TXT + TIPS98.TXT [some memory issues are also detailed in REGISTRY.TXT].

Memory topics in last 4 files are clearly marked.

Warning: if using default Windows Notepad, you won't be able to open those text files, cuz they're huge. So u need a better Notepad replacement [all freeware, take a pick]:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#TXT

You'll find all your answers in those files.

Have fun.

I don't know what the maximum is, but in 98 SE I use 2 x 512 MB DIMM's + 1 GB swap partition now. FWIW, I also am able to create 32 MB RAM disk and 32 MB smartdrv cache from DOS with no problem. I also have *piles* of TSR's in UMB's including sound driver, mouse driver, CD-ROM driver, etc...

512 MB disk cache works but I prefer 128 MB. EMMExclude=A000-FFFF is very good for stable operation, with my sound card anyway.

I use AGP aperture size 128 MB but I have gone up to 256 MB. Games are slightly faster at 128 MB vs. 64 MB.

For a while the PC (one I recently built) was limited to 0.5 GB swap, and I had difficulty with SB Live! Value CT4832 card and using lots of xms from dos (e.g. limited to 16 MB XMSDSK), but installing SP 2.0 and 98SE2ME.exe apparently have helped clear some things up :)

azagahl: thank you kindly for your answer!

MDGx you know for years i followed your autoexec/config advice: i began w/ Qemm standalone, then shifted to Umbpci/hiram/cloaking/cloaked mscdex & mouse, etc.... fell 6K short of matching you-- tried everything: disabled all ram/rom shadowing/caching, used emmexclude, a patched command.com...

The one thing that was needed back then & nobody ever came up with publicly: that modded win.com from 4dos(win34?)-- if that could've been made to work better w/ msdos, cloak, load high....

Now ask me if i understand anything of what i just wrote..... :rolleyes::lol: