Building a printer driver package?

FuNKeR

Hi there.

I wondered, if someone had a solution for my problem.

I want to install some printer drivers (HP DJ640C, DJ840C, DJ930C, DJ940C, BIJ1100d, BIJ1200d) on a ready-to-go system.

At the moment we always need to install every driver by hand with the new printer wizard and this is not really time saving.

Is there a possibility to build a package or something, that installs the drivers alltogether? That would be great.

btw: I do not need it in an unattended installation, so there is no need to hide everything. A statusbar would be better then, so you can see, when it is finished.

btw2: I'm not a fan of AutoIt for these kind of installations then, so please don't tell me, I have to use it. There must be another way ;)

Thanks for your help.

cu

FuNKeR

I think it's theoretically possible. However, there're so *many* models around that it'd be a hudge work. Plus, they usually come with big sized utilities softwares that'd require a separate install everytime. For some All-in-One HP printers, the "drivers" take up to 200 MB or such :/

Bashrat, do you use compression with your pack?

I would love to have a separate printer driver package, however Windows doesn't install printers by default during Unattended Installation so it doesn't have to integrate on cd.

I toke a look at the Samsung ML-1210 drivers, they are compressed about 700 KB

Bashrat, do you use compression with your pack?

I would love to have a separate printer driver package, however Windows doesn't install printers by default during Unattended Installation so it doesn't have to integrate on cd.

I toke a look at the Samsung ML-1210 drivers, they are compressed about 700 KB

Yes, I do.

7zip compression for Pyron's method and CAB compression for the regular method. However this CAB compression is not yet available! However, it should be released tomorrow.

If you want to automate the process of adding printers try this:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?

It will give you a list of switches that may be helpfull (found this on google search for "unattended printer installation")

Hope it helps!

edit: just found another great rundll32 link: http://www.dx21.com/SCRIPTING/RUNDLL32/REF...E.ASP?ISF=0&P=A

It will give you a list of switches that may be helpfull (found this on google search for "unattended printer installation")

Hope it helps!

hmm... That's not quite handy: you'd have to specify which inf file, so it won't be system independant anymore ;)

where was that 2 years ago when I had to set default printers duing syspreped ghost deployments. I ended up writeing an app to do it all i needed was :

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n "printer1"

Thanks Ghost82

where was that 2 years ago when I had to set default printers duing syspreped ghost deployments.  I ended up writeing an app to do it all i needed was :

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n "printer1"

Thanks Ghost82

That command just sets a printer as default printer and renames it to printer1...

What about that app? :o

Which is exactly what I needed to do set the default printer. The printers were already installed in the image just had to set the appropriate default. All I needed was a line in runonce, not a app and a line in runonce.

Hope it helps!

hmm... That's not quite handy: you'd have to specify which inf file, so it won't be system independant anymore ;)

that's true, but u can possibly use this in a domain to write a script that checks the department of the user (or any other info in the domainprofile of the user) and that way identify wich printers the user(s) need.

Anyway: a Printerpack would really be a good idea as alot of modern printers are USB-Printers so windows auto-detects them and always tries to install the drivers! (there are even printers on a parallel cable that get detected by windows)

Hope it helps!

that's true, but u can possibly use this in a domain to write a script that checks the department of the user (or any other info in the domainprofile of the user) and that way identify wich printers the user(s) need.

Anyway: a Printerpack would really be a good idea as alot of modern printers are USB-Printers so windows auto-detects them and always tries to install the drivers! (there are even printers on a parallel cable that get detected by windows)

OK.

Then the DriverPack Printer will only support plug 'n play printers, untill a decent solution has been found.

Well, all I personally need, are the drivers mentioned in my first post. I already got them and I only install them via the new printer wizard. I do not need the utilities.

The point is, that I need to use them with Win2000, not XP. Maybe this makes it a lot more difficult? :blink:

cu

FuNKeR

I think I did not get the point :( What method do you mean though?

EDIT:

Ah, think I got it now. You meant the

"rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?" command. Tried it and found this "predefined" command:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "Testdrucker" /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf /r "lpt1:" /m "AGFA-AccuSet v52.3"

This could be useful for me. I will try it with RAR-archives that execute the commands after extraction :)

I'll report, if it works.

cu

FuNKeR