XP repair install won't finish

patio

I am also having trouble doing a repair install of XP Pro.

Full version of XP Pro, only used on initial install.

All updates current including SP2, last updates were about a week ago.

After the repair install seems to finish and before the system re-boots the following is the error message i get...

Error:

Setup had problems registering the following OLE control DLL:

D:\XPI386\System32\initpki.dll

Contact your system administrator, who may provide assistance in diagnosing this problem.

Warning:

Setup failed to remove the product catalog SP2.CAT.

Error:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 426.

The service has not been started.

Fatal Error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Is this because of SP2 being installed ? ?

And is there a workaround for it. I'd rather not do a clean install at this point if i can help it.

Thanx in advance...

patio. B)

Patio:

It's taken me awhile to snoop around-- i'm still not sold on SP2 enough to install it:

I would try the following varied cures I've seen to that issue(s):

1. Temporarily slow down your cd rom speed(as much as you want / can), clean the cd, burn it to another cd & try that, burn to hard drive & try from there...

2. Swap out each & all ram sticks, flash bios, temporarily use fail-safe settings(even & especially those for the processor itself) AND slow down your bus speed-- say to 100 from 133. (no high internal temps anywhere inside, SMART report for hard disk ok?)

If not due to problem ram / processor-- once installed/repaired/updated, the settings can be restored & Windows has been reported to run ok......

The second point'll get me on a mini-rant: while there's wonderful technology coming out of Asia, there's also a lot of cheap/shoddy hardware-- Ram for one i'm seeing quite a bit more incidents w/ all over the net: (i'm becoming real dubious when not from known maker, esp. one offering lifetime guarantee).. there's a lot of flakey, unreliable memory-- it's just too tempting for unscrupulous persons to fiddle w/ the numbers, etc... msfn member erpdude8 i think would concur......

3. The common & numerous issues re SP2:

MSMVP MICHNA Windows XP Service Pack 2 Troubleshooter

HTH....