re: kb885835 & kb885250

One question concerning hotfixes :

When do u use SVCPACK.INF Method or Nlite , do u still see which hotfixes are installed under "add / remove programs" ?

I've tried nlite, but i don't see anything under "add/remove programs" after integrating hotfixes.

thx

The Ongoing saga: Apparently my case was escalated with M$ after I questioned the statement that the updates were not final. Here is the latest response. names and case numbers were changed.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support. My name is Xxxxxx, and I am an Escalation Engineer for the Windows Support Team. In order to better serve you and resolve this issue more efficiently, I have taken ownership of your Service Request. I appreciate the time and effort you have taken on this service request.

Going forward, I will be working with you to address the issue as soon as possible. To contact me, you may directly send emails to my account: xxxxxxx@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID SRZxxxxxxxxxxx.

As I understand, Windows Update 885250 cannot be integrated to a folder after Windows Update 885835 is integrated to that folder.

I would like to explain that neither 885250 nor 885835 is a beta update. Microsoft keeps release Windows Update to improve the security of the systems. Xxxxxx means that Microsoft will still release updates to update the files updated by 885250 if a potential problem is found in the files. The updates are fully tested before they are released.

To provide you with the most accurate support, please let me know the error message appears when you try to use the \integrate switch to integrate the update to the folder.

Please capture a screenshot when the issue happens:

1) Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2) Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.

3) In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and click Save.

4) Please send this file to the email account: xxxxxx@mssupport.microsoft.com

Please try the suggestions above on your side and provide me with the results at your earliest convenience. If anything in my e-mail is unclear or you need further help, don't hesitate to let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

I am looking forward to your reply.

I have just finish taking his snapshots, I did one whith 885835 first and another with 885250 first, the exact same error, but just for his reference. I actually installed the hotfixes in different orders, one numerically the other but release date.

Will post any response.

Have not yet heard anything back from microsoft. Currently the only solutions are posted in opening post or the hotfix integrate tool, or one of the othe cd creation tools here. As soon as M$ replaies I will post the info here.

Da bumms! They seemed to have updated that document since I last looked, adding the "/integrate" switch thingy, which is just not good enough for The GreenMachine!

So ... the method I use seems to still be described HERE, called The Combination Installation. Note it is also desribed on the document I linked to in my previous post, just pretend the desired hotfix has an older UPDATE.EXE

If you want to integrate software updates that use Update.exe versions earlier than 5.4.15.0, follow steps 6 through 13 to integrate these updates.

Hope that clears things up ...

We had to disable auto updates to all 2000/xp computers because, of this. This one would not let mapped drives work. We could also not reconnect. So we had to unisntall and disable it. What would this be about? We are sing an appleshare server.

Be careful with the KB885250 one it's bad for some networking types.