• 1 month later...

- Run Setup.exe

- Click next

- agree to license agreement

- click next about 4-6 times more

- click finish

- enjoy!

:P:D B)

LOL, I just answered you. Sorry, been busy with things....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I don't believe in AntiVirus on Vista at all.

When Vista was RTM Microsoft co-president Jim Allchin was quoted as saying:

"I'll give you an example: My son, seven years old, runs Windows Vista, and, honestly, he doesn't have an antivirus system on his machine. His machine is locked down with parental controls, he can't download things unless it's to the places that I've said that he could do, and I'm feeling totally confident about that. That is quite a statement. I couldn't say that in Windows XP SP2."

"My favorite feature within Windows Vista, is called ASLR (Address Space [Layout] Randomization). What it does is, each Windows Vista machine is slightly different than every other Windows Vista machine. So even if there is a remote exploit on one machine, and a worm tries to jump from one machine to another, the probability of that actually succeeding is very small.

"Please don't misunderstand me: This is an escalating situation. The hackers are getting smarter, there's more at stake, and so there's just no way for us to say that some perfection has been achieved. But I can say, knowing what I know now, I feel very confident."

I'm not saying it will be this way forever I'm merely observing that IF you are behind a properly configured router/firewall and IF you leave UAC switched on and ALWAYS make sure your system is up to date and perhaps take a few extra precautions like perhaps running Firefox 3 with Adblock and excercise caution with attachments and files from dubious sources then the chances of an up to date copy of Vista x64 Sp1 becoming infected with a virus are currently very small indeed in my humble opinion.

In fact I would even go so far as to say that even XPSP3 is probably reasonably safe against infection provided the same precautions are used.

The fact is, Antivirus companies profit from fear.

many people will make sure their Kaspersky is running and up to date but when you say "when was the last time you ran windows update?" they give you a blank look. Quite often they have never even seen the windows update page but the Antivirus Fear Marketing Brigade makes sure their Symantec/ McAfee/ Avast/ AVG is of course installed and working.

These days the vast majority of infected computers seems to be from people who routinely click away the update notification and treat is nothing more than an annoyance.

Of course i'm not suggesting for one moment that my fellow Vlite/Nlite enthusiats behave in this way but I am generally in contempt of the entire AntiVirus industry as a whole. Surely as with ones health versus insurance that prevention is way more desireable than the cure.

pardon my anti antivirus rant, amen!