Ti4200 (silent) not working in winnt.sif

hplsbyufan

I used the application install method for installshield:

1. Ran setup.exe -R
  2. Copied setup.iss from winnt folder
  3. Overwrote original setup.iss with the new one
  4. Placed files in %cdrom%\i386\svcpack
  5. Manually ran setup.exe -s to test it (it works this way)
  6. Renamed setup.exe to ti4200.exe
  7. Added a line to winnt.sif: ti4200.exe /s

During unattended setup (from cd), the screen blinks around the time that the ti4200 setup should be running (that's what it does when I run it manually, too), so I think it runs, but the driver is not installed when I get to the windows desktop.

Perhaps I should run the ti4200 install with cmdlines.txt? Would this work? Do I have to use a batch file?

I tried searching, but found nothing exactly like this, sorry if this is in the forum already...

I used the application install method for installshield:
  1. Ran setup.exe -R
  2. Copied setup.iss from winnt folder
  3. Overwrote original setup.iss with the new one
  4. Placed files in %cdrom%\i386\svcpack
  5. Manually ran setup.exe -s to test it (it works this way)
  6. Renamed setup.exe to ti4200.exe
  7. Added a line to winnt.sif: ti4200.exe /s

During unattended setup (from cd), the screen blinks around the time that the ti4200 setup should be running (that's what it does when I run it manually, too), so I think it runs, but the driver is not installed when I get to the windows desktop.

Perhaps I should run the ti4200 install with cmdlines.txt?  Would this work?  Do I have to use a batch file?

I tried searching, but found nothing exactly like this, sorry if this is in the forum already...

You placed the files in I386\svcpack? huh?

Application installs don't work properly from svpack ;)

All the info you need can be found in this topic.

Thank you. That link looks great! I tried putting the drivers in the folder with all the other drivers, but my setup freezes once it reaches 100% on the detecting devices part of setup. However, I did not try expanding the already compressed files first. I'll try that and hope it works.

BTW, I use svcpack for dx9c, ie6sp1, and media player 9 in addition to all the hotfixes. It works for them OK. That is why I thought it might work for installing the ti4200 drivers as well.

Thank you. That link looks great! I tried putting the drivers in the folder with all the other drivers, but my setup freezes once it reaches 100% on the detecting devices part of setup. However, I did not try expanding the already compressed files first. I'll try that and hope it works.

BTW, I use svcpack for dx9c, ie6sp1, and media player 9 in addition to all the hotfixes. It works for them OK. That is why I thought it might work for installing the ti4200 drivers as well.

Those are all installations for Windows components: they are an exception ;)

OK, I have tried three scenarios. In all three cases:

• I put the driver files in cdroot\$OEM\$$\pnpdrvrs
  • I reverenced pnpdrvrs path in winnt.sif

First, I tried it with the driver files unchanged

Second, I tried it with the drivers unpacked

Third, I repacked the driver files and tried again

Not one scenario worked. In all three cases, setup locks when it reaches 100% of the device detection section.

What else can I try?

Hey mate, the best way is to do this.

Search in this section for the words nvidea compression. You should get a post from prathapml who made a nice .cmd file which will undo the nvidea compression.

Get the .exe and extract the files to a directory, put the cmd file inside with the files and run it. Now I recomend a structure like this for drivers,

D:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\009_Graphics\(all the files in here).

The reason for this is when you format and reinstall a PC, its best to install certain stuff before others. So have 001_chipset for chipset drivers etc. As you can see by 009_Graphics, i install my graphics card drivers last.

Then in winnt.sif put the lines:

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\001_Chipset;Drivers\009_graphics"

Basically you have to point to the folder with the .inf file in it. Seperate each directory with a semi colon ( ; ). I recomend this because its maintainable.

Using the compressor tool creates some problems. Some of the files it removes are needed for driver uninstallation, and windows complains that it cant uninstall devices.

Hope this helps. Once you have this task done, there is a space saving method, but you need to get this right first :)

Edit: 66.93 re still the latest WHQL forceware arnt they?

...I recomend a structure like this for drivers,

D:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\009_Graphics\(all the files in here)...

I'll be working on this over the weekend. One question in the mean time. I remember reading in "unattend.doc" from the reskit that files and folders should be in 8.3 format. $rename.txt or something like that must be used to give the files names longer than 8.3 formatted names on the hard drive. Your folder name above (and the one in the unattended cd/dvd guide homepage) is more than 8 characters. How does this work?

That $rename is only related to installations from DOS, and non-WinPE-based network installs. So those points are not relevant to CD-installs and WinPE-based network installs.

Using the setup for nVidia drivers is doing it the long way.... Just use the OEMpnpDriversPath method that the guide (and Mekrel above) says.

That $rename is only related to installations from DOS, and non-WinPE-based network installs. So those points are not relevant to CD-installs and WinPE-based network installs.

Using the setup for nVidia drivers is doing it the long way....  Just use the OEMpnpDriversPath method that the guide (and Mekrel above) says.

Thank you for the information. That is good to know. I am using the oempnpdriverspath method. All my other drivers install this way. When I add ti4200 6693 drivers, Win2k setup freezes at 100% on the hardware detection. I am working on moving all my drivers to separate folders as recommended and will report the results. BTW, I have successfully installed them now using guirunonce.

In the mean time, another question. If I do an unattended install with no hotfixes and 1 autologin, I get to the desktop on reboot. If I do so with the hotpatches, it logs me in but explorer fails to load, so I have to reboot manually in order to get the guirunonce part to work. Any ideas? If not, I'll post that question in the apps thread...

...I recomend a structure like this for drivers,

D:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\009_Graphics\(all the files in here)...

I tried the folder structure with each driver in each folder, and my setup still freezes at 100% on the hardware detection. It still occurs in any of these scenarios:

• Each driver in it's own folder, and all folders referenced in winnt.sif
    • All files in original compression
    • All files decompressed
    • All files recompressed

[*]Each driver in it's own folder, and only the video driver referenced in winnt.sif

• All files in original compression
    • All files decompressed
    • All files recompressed

If I install as an app using the installshield silent install method, it works.

Is there anything else I should try to install it as a driver?

I thank anyone in advance.

Please post your winnt.sif in code tags and also a screenshot of your folder setup using the tree view in explorer.

Sorry for the delay. BTW, I have now tested with only vid drivers, and they alone cause the lockup. All my other drivers work when the Vid driver folder is not referenced in winnt.sif. My winnt.sif:

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
   DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPnPDriversPath=winnt\pnpdrvrs;winnt\pnpdrvrs\0mobo;winnt\pnpdrvrs\1nic;winnt\pnpdrvrs\3tvIn;winnt\pnpdrvrs\4sound;winnt\pnpdrvrs\5kbd;winnt\pnpdrvrs\6mouse;winnt\pnpdrvrs\7printer;winnt\pnpdrvrs\8scan;
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   TargetPath=\WinNT

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword=penelope
   AutoLogon=Yes
   AutoLogonCount=3
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=10
   OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
   FullName="Brandon Stout"
   OrgName=FamilyHomeVCD.com
   ComputerName=Home
   ProductID=(Omitted)

[FavoritesEx]
   Title1="myname.url"
   URL1="myurl"

[Branding]
   BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[URL]
   Home_Page=http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html
   Help_Page=http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html
   Search_Page=http://www.google.com/

[TapiLocation]
   CountryCode=1
   Dialing=Tone
   AreaCode=801

[GuiRunOnce]
   Command0=winnt\install.cmd

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

Screenshot of folder tree:

post-43301-1108980786_thumb.png

Edited by prathapml

Hmmm but why are you listing the winnt bit in your drivers path?

For instance this is my winnt.sif driver path:

OemPnPDriversPath="drivers\000_GART;drivers\001_MemCtl;drivers\002_IDE;drivers\003_SMBus;drivers\004_AudioDrv;drivers\005_AudioUtl;drivers\008_Ethernet;drivers\008_Ethernet\PreNRM;drivers\009_graphics;drivers\010_monitor"

and also the folder containing all the folder with the driver files in should be in $1 not $$.

for instance my screenshot for the above code:

folders8hn.jpg

Hi Mekrel,

I put the drivers in $$ instead of $1 simply because I prefer not to have the drivers in a folder right on the %systemdrive% root. The reskit's .chm file says that the driver path will automatically put %systemdrive% in front of the path for the oem drivers, so I started with \winnt, which is where files placed in $$ end up.

I can try moving the drivers to $1 and removing \winnt from my path, but since all my other drivers work this way I have not tried that.

Should I try $1 anyway? Thank you again for your assistance.

BTW, Gerry Hickman, in the microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment Forum believes the problem is related to an .inf file, but I have not found one yet - all paths seem fine.

Hi mate,

Ok sorry I did not realise that it automatically put the %systemdrive% variable in there.

I would recomend using $1 just to try, you can always remove them using a clean.cmd file to delete the directory.

Interesting find, did you try and redownload the drivers and re-extract just incase the ones you had were somehow corrupt?

try www.guru3d.com to download them if you didnt already get them from there.

Good luck