disable System Restore during install?

just wanted to find out if anyone has a way to disable system restore during install? I'd really like it to be during the install process and not a registry tweak or script to disable it one I'm done. I don't know if it can be done, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Not positive, but I think there is a way to turn it off in WINNT.SIF. Check the ref.chm in deploy.cab for that.

Also it can be turned off in the registry through cmdlines.txt, before any restore points are created.

just wanted to find out if anyone has a way to disable system restore during install?  I'd really like it to be during the install process and not a registry tweak or script to disable it one I'm done.  I don't know if it can be done, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Option A - Import a registry tweak at CMDLINES.TXT with the tweak to disable the service (look in the registry tweak thread or BlackViper's site)

Option B - Once finding the registry entry, open up the hive***.inf files in your I386 directory and then change the proper entry to disable it from the start.

Problem with Option B, is that Setup might reset it during setup. Problem with Option A is that it might be active untill the end of setup (not sure on this one)

kwpro, I've used nLite, but can't seem to find an option in there to disable it. Which category is it in? I've seen the % of space used option, but setting it to 0 didn't seem to work for me.

Alanoll, thanks, I think I'll give option B a try.

kwpro, I've used nLite, but can't seem to find an option in there to disable it.  Which category is it in?  I've seen the % of space used option, but setting it to 0 didn't seem to work for me.

Alanoll, thanks, I think I'll give option B a try.

in nLite its located under Services

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what nLite does to disable System Restore during the install? More specifically is it just deleting some files, modifying a file or two or is there something i can put into my Winnt'sif or unattend.txt to have System Restore disabled. I ran nLite to remove System Restore and it worked I'm just curious to see what it does. Thanks

I use this in my cmdlines.txt

; Disable System Restore Service
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\srservice]
"Start"=dword:00000004

Of course that is in a .reg file that is called from cmdlines.txt,

I use this in my cmdlines.txt

; Disable System Restore Service
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\srservice]
"Start"=dword:00000004

Of course that is in a .reg file that is called from cmdlines.txt,

How about inserting a line in batch file called executed via cmdlines.txt ?

example inside batch file :

rem *** disable system restore ***
net stop srservice

-YOUR CUSTOM CODE GOES HERE -

rem *** finished with my custom stuff, turn restore back on ***
net start srservice

Note that i put my reg tweaks AFTER this sequence in separate batch file, so even

if the restore (or enything else) is started, reg tweaks (including service-tweaks)

will still be in effect.

Hi,

I was about to make the same post, just if any really knowledgeavle geek could tell me what I need to put in the WINNT.SIF that would disable system restore. I would be very grateful.

Thanks

P.S. I've tried nLite and believe it rocks just wanted to do this through WINNT.SIF

I have edited the sr.inf file.

In the i386 folder there should be a file sr.in_, I expanded this and deleted everything apart from

[version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"
SetupClass=BASE
LayoutFile=layout.inf

[DefaultInstall]

Saved the file and placed it in the i386 folder and deleted the compressed sr.in_ file and it works for me, ugly maybe but it works.

This does not install the system restore and there is no tab available on the system properties page, so do not use this method if you at some time want to enable it.

I have edited the sr.inf file.

In the i386 folder there should be a file sr.in_, I expanded this and deleted everything apart from

[version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"
SetupClass=BASE
LayoutFile=layout.inf

[DefaultInstall]

Saved the file and placed it in the i386 folder and deleted the compressed sr.in_  file and it works for me, ugly maybe but it works.

This does not install the system restore and there is no tab available on the system properties page, so do not use this method if you at some time want to enable it.

Ummm... Interesting approach ! There's lot of stuff you could throw out this way.

Major boot disk cleanup ! Maybe nLite works like this when removing components ?

I wonder ...

• 4 months later...

1. COPY THIS INTO NOTEPAD:

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
   & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\default")

Set objItem = objWMIService.Get("SystemRestore")
errResults = objItem.Disable("")

2. SAVE FILE AS... "SROff.vbs"

3. PUT SROff.vbs IN YOUR $OEM$ FOLDER

$OEM$\$1\Install\Scripts\

4. ADD THIS LINE TO winnt.sif:

[GuiRunOnce]
   "%systemdrive%\Install\Scripts\SROff.vbs"

======================

Disable Full System Restore

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcen...e/dmsrvb03.mspx

Edited by rockstarjeremy