Hiding apps from other users??????

XPerties

Ok Im running retail and never really had to worry about this till now. Im setting up 4 user on my PC but I dont want anyone else to be able to acsess certain apps and programs. There my younger brothers. What I did was:

Created 4 users - 1 admin and 4 regular

Installed apps

Now everyone can see them in there start menu, when I right click on a app in my start menu and click hide its still showing up in everyone else user. Ive been able to lock other user from using them but I have alot of crap and I dont want them to use them or it to cludder up there windows....Any help?

Ive also deleted the users and added them again and it still keeps showing up on there users.

-Chris

Check out Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart Menu

You can delete the shortcuts there.

Take note: They can still execute the application. To prevent this, you use file permissions, which is done in the security tab of a file/folder.

Guest LouCypher

Instead of deleting the shortcuts just move them to your profile's directory (i.e. replace "All Users" with the userid you login with).

They won't be able to access your shortcuts in you Start Menu directory, but you will stil be able to and your Start Menu will look the same as it did before.

You also would set the permissions like XxMaNsOnX with the Security options. Just remove access to those app's directories for "Everyone", and add yourself back for full control (unless you're Administrator, then you don't have to).

Ya I found that after I posted that but dam guys I thought there was alot easier way with XP. Hell If I right click on the program and choose not to share that program under propertis it still shares. Then I have to go back throught the all users folder and delet the short cuts. This sucks!

-Chris

Figures the one thing I have bothered checking out before I buy the dam thing....Just thought it did it nice and neatly:mad:

Guest LouCypher

So just set the permissions on the directories so they can't execute them and move the shortcuts from the "All Users" directory. You know how to do this, don't you? I can help if you need it.

Ya I got it, but just a little disappointed probaly in myself and M$...Only becuase I was under the impression that this could be done very easy...myself becuase I didnt research it enough before I wiped out 98/2000. Now I have to reinstall everything. Even tho I can remove the shotcuts it doesnt stop them from exploring c: drive and running the exe file. I know I can block that but I have a major s*** load of apps and games that a 14 year doesnt need to get to!Looks like Ill be spending another day off of work in front of the computer...s***!

-Chris:mad:

Guest LouCypher

I'm confused? What was stopping them from exploring C: drive and running apps directly under Windows 98/ME? Certainly not its outstanding builtin security? :) At least now the security is builtin to the filesystem (assuming you're running on NTFS and not FAT32).

It's mainly a problem with installation programs that aren't smart enough to realize they're being installed on a multiuser machine. At lease some components when installed under XP ask me if I want to make the shortcuts available to just me or to all users.

I'm confused? What was stopping them from exploring C: drive and running apps directly under Windows 98/ME? Certainly not its outstanding builtin security? At least now the security is builtin to the filesystem (assuming you're running on NTFS and not FAT32). [/quote:18244af528]

Before I was running 2000/XP in NTSF w/password and dual booting with 98 as fat32...You could never see my drives and get accsess to them. Thats what I meant. Now I formatted everything and Im only running XP in NTSF.hope this helps

-Chris

• 6 years later...
Ok Im running retail and never really had to worry about this till now. Im setting up 4 user on my PC but I dont want anyone else to be able to acsess certain apps and programs. There my younger brothers. What I did was:

Created 4 users - 1 admin and 4 regular

Installed apps

Now everyone can see them in there start menu, when I right click on a app in my start menu and click hide its still showing up in everyone else user. Ive been able to lock other user from using them but I have alot of crap and I dont want them to use them or it to cludder up there windows....Any help?

Ive also deleted the users and added them again and it still keeps showing up on there users.

-Chris

Check out SteadyState! :angel