Give me the makecat.exe, please?

.cat are used for windows to recognize and protect files. For example if you make a cat for a patched file and then install the .cat, xp will protected the patched file. Hacked uxtheme can be protected.

that would assume that they're in the protected list. If however they're not, a CAT file will just verify their integrity and nothing more.

Yeah, we've been trying to do it since a lot of time. No-go. :(

You need the microsoft signatures (certificate) file for signing and making a new and proper .CAT, and obviously they won't give it up even if their life depended on it....

Yeah, we've been trying to do it since a lot of time.  No-go.  :(

You need the microsoft signatures (certificate) file for signing and making a new and proper .CAT, and obviously they won't give it up even if their life depended on it....though I haven't tried installing a digitally signed driver...signed by me though...

untrue, to make a CAT you just need a digital signature, which costs some money if you want it accepted on EVERY system, without requiring you to import a new root certificate. You can easily make your own, but then it'll appear invalid till you add it to the certificate store.

Just any digital signature is not enough... it has to be the MS one.

And also as you said, using some other certificate you need to add it to the list of recognized certs on your computer (and there's no way you'd have done it at T-39 during device detection).