best tv tuner

ripken204

Ripken, before you make a decision on a TV tuner, be sure to think through what you'll be doing with the tuner. I am a proponent of the big name tuners, as they are better supported and most refined. The ATI AIW and Hauppauge have already been mentioned and fit my aforementioned criteria.

Secondly, if you are building a new system, and money, space, etc are important, then the AIW is a good tuner, as it is actually a video card with a tv tuner built in. If you're upgrading a system and already have an acceptable video card, then get a Hauppauge PVR.

Third, CPU usage may be a factor. If you plan on using the PC to do other things (surf, web-editing, etc) while recording/viewing from the tuner, then you must consider your CPU's processing power. The AIW uses the CPU to encode incoming video (even to view it), while the Hauppauge PVR's use a built-in chip to do most of the work. If your CPU is 1.4 GHz or under, you are likely to find it difficult to work while viewing a video stream in the AIW. But if you have a modern screamer, don't discount the well-respected ATI AIW's reputation.

I just happen to be keen on TV tuners right now and decided on the Hauppauge option for myself. I am looking to buy a PVR 150MCE, which happens to be an update of the PVR250. The PVR350 is top of the scale. Beware that the 150's are hot items right now and are sold out at all the best online retailers at this very moment (I'm on 4 notification lists!).

Finally, the 150 comes with a remote and the 150MCE comes without remote, but has FM radio. I'll be using a Firefly remote and testing BeyondTV and SageTV. Note: 150MCE is supposed to work with my WinXP SP2 system.

ripken204,

First you ask on the forum what people think about the ATi AIW. Then you ask what VGA card and TV tuner.

I think you get a bit confused, so, let me try to help you...

Your gona play the newest games but also you are going to look TV with it, isn’t that right?

So, I would go for the Hauppauge like most of us advised you, BUT, go for a separate VGA card with pixel shader model 3.0 (6600GT for example). You will change your VGA some day but I think you would like to keep your TV card as these ones don’t get out-dated as a VGA card.

Other option for a TV card is Miro, they also have good ones.

;)