The Cell microprocessor!

DigeratiPrime

Ive been following the Cell for the last 2 years when I initially heard about it, this is very, very exciting news.

Another article more more on the specs.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1761407,00.asp

Intel has been touting 'Dual Core' Processors, this has Eight! Several Times the bandwidth of the GeForce 6800 Ultra, can run multiple OS simultaneously?! ****!

There's rumours going around that the Playstation 3 will have 4 of these microprocessors... Imagine that!! 16GHz!!! :D

And one of these chips is supposed to be "10 to 20 times faster than the fastest graphics and computer chips" They'll be able to get game characters to sweat from individual pores.

DL

Yahh this is cool. I too have been reading about it off and on throughout the last 3 years. The process of making the wafers/cells are made under water.

The best way I can explain it is:

You ever look at your Water Glass? Get a Clear Glass Bottle or Cup. (Works better if it is not different size at bottom), Fill it with clean water. Place a spoon or object inside the glass of water. Now look thru the glass - the Spoon/object looks bent and smaller. But really it is a refection of light that bends from bouncing off the molecule on the waters surface. Thus making things seem smaller in water. This technique is used to etch more "Lines" /cells into the same wafer. I don't have the Original report. It was first reported to have been working on the project 10 years ago. Sorry I don't have a link, as I read this 3 years ago, and forgot most of the info... :}

Imagine your desktop... now look at the current size, and weight, and heat gerated by the current 3.xx GHz processors...

.... If there is 8 in 1 case... How much cooling is gonna be needed ! :w00t:

I still want one tho.... Multi player games on the same pc with diferent interface and screen for each player!!

I like the idea of that ! A new kind of VR! :D

I must say that I find it a bit unlikely that neither IBM, Sony or Toshiba are going to revolutionize anything ... Sure it sounds great, but don't you think Intel, AMD, ATI and Nvidia have something up their sleeves that top this several times over??? ... Although, its gonna be pretty darn nasty to compete thou ... 20 times faster in one generation, jesus ...