Deploy software with server 03

The obvious answer is using Group Policy (W2k Domain required).

But before we go to GPO part, 1st of all u need to create the application msi file. What I maen is for u to install the application to certain PC while the installation process (from begin to end) is captured and saved as msi file.

When u do have a worked msi file, then u create the GPO to deploy the application. Run the Active Directory User and Computer in your DC. Click on View menu and make sure the advance button is ticked. Right Click on the particular OU that contains those 4 PCs. Click on Group Policy tab. To create a new GPO, simply click the new button and named your GPO (i.e. Soft Deployment GPO). Then edit the GPO by click Edit button.

Once you are on Group Policy Editor, go to Computer Cofiguration. There is a Software Deployment Policy there. All u need to do is create the new policy for your software. Make sure u attach the msi file to the policy.

Have fun... :hello:

The obvious answer is using Group Policy (W2k Domain required).
thank you - i have server 2003 i guess this shud be fine. Or i dont know why i need a W2k domain :o
But before we go to GPO part, 1st of all u need to create the application msi file. What I maen is for u to install the application to certain PC while the installation process (from begin to end) is captured and saved as msi file.

how do i create a msi file? :wacko::blink:

thx

Well not sure if you have active directory installed but GPO software distribution as well as SUS (WUS) is AD dependant.

Creating an msi file is rather easy, you have to create a snapshot of a clean computer using Winstall LE (supplied on Windows server CD, you have to run it from the server using UNC path and not mapped drive), then you install windows update (or whatever), and then run winstall again creating a after install snapshot, so winstall can collect all the changes that occured since the last snapshot. The disadvantage with this method is that you have to have reference machine (installed only with windows and updates). If you have i.e. MS office, nero, adobe installed on reference machine, but not on target machine, msi will be created with reference to the missing programs ...

Better solution is to update your computers using SUS (WUS) server. It's free program you can dl from MS. SUS (WUS) can't run on domain controller, but MUST run on member server. If you don't have that (as I think you don't) then there is a third solutioin, also using GPO, creating ZAP file. In order for ZAP file to be installed, user on the target computer MUST have admin rights.

Application]
; Only FriendlyName and SetupCommand are required,
; everything else is optional.

; FriendlyName is the name of the program that
; will appear in the software installation snap-in
; and the Add/Remove Programs tool.
; REQUIRED
FriendlyName = "Microsoft Excel 97"

; SetupCommand is the command line used to
; Run the program's Setup. If it is a relative
; path, it is assumed to be relative to the
; location of the .zap file.
; Long file name paths need to be quoted. For example:
; SetupCommand = "long folder\setup.exe" /unattend
; or
; SetupCommand = "\\server\share\long _
; folder\setup.exe" /unattend
; REQUIRED

SetupCommand = "setup.exe"

; Version of the program that will appear
; in the software installation snap-in and the
; Add/Remove Programs tool.
; OPTIONAL
DisplayVersion = 8.0

; Version of the program that will appear
; in the software installation snap-in and the
; Add/Remove Programs tool.
; OPTIONAL
Publisher = Microsoft

save it as *.zap file, and the use Software installation dialog from gpo to publish windows update (note that users must start installation themselfs using Add/Remove Programs as zap files can't be assigned)

For more detailed manual on how install something using zap files, click here

hope this helps ...

thank you - i have server 2003 i guess this shud be fine. Or i dont know why i need a W2k domain  :o

Sorry, perhaps i should rephrase from "W2K Domain required" to "W2K Domain minimum.. ". It is because GPO are only available in Active Directory in which only exist in W2K Domain and W2K3 Domain.

And I fully agree to what Klasika said, which already explain how to create msi file. :thumbup

i have nero installed on my server along with another dozen programs so does thaat mean ill have to use WUS

Better solution is to update your computers using SUS (WUS) server. It's free program you can dl from MS. SUS (WUS) can't run on domain controller, but MUST run on member server.

What kind of member server would you recommend or that are available for this. I presume i can install it alongside my current server 2003

Thank you all kindly for your help

When I said member server, I mean that you can't use WUS on domain controller but you MUST use it on the server that is member of a AD domain. SO basically you would need another computer with Windows Server 2003 installed (minimum standard edition) and the just join it to the domain as you do with workstations and then install WUS. But since you've said you have only 4 computers, I don't think installing another server would pay off unless you use unlicensed software :)