How do you get KB890830 and KB 873374 to install?

Sgt_Strider

I added this to my regtweaks.reg

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f

Are you sure that's not suppose to go into RunOnceEx.cmd or some other file? The command seems a bit different from most registry commands.

Sorry, got 890830 mixed up with another one.  I iexpress 890830 up and put it in SVC-EXE.

lol I'm not sure if I understand that last sentence of yours. Just dump the patch in the svc-exe folder then?

Download the patch. From the Run line, type in iexpress and hit Enter.

1. Click Next.

2. Click Next.

3. Type in a package title.

4. Click Next.

5. Click Next.

6. Click Next.

7. Click Add and navigate to the location you saved the patch.

8. Click the down arrow in the Install Program box. Select the patch. Then, at the end of the patch name, enter /Q.

9. Click Next.

10. Click Next.

11. Click Next.

12. Specify a location to the save the new file. I would use SVC-EXE. Check both boxes and click Yes.

13. Click Next.

14. Select No Restart and click Next.

15. Select Don't Save and click Next.

16. Click Next.

The program will create the new file and save it in the location you specified. Click Finish when it is complete.

Sorry, got 890830 mixed up with another one.  I iexpress 890830 up and put it in SVC-EXE.

lol I'm not sure if I understand that last sentence of yours. Just dump the patch in the svc-exe folder then?

Download the patch. From the Run line, type in iexpress and hit Enter.

1. Click Next.

2. Click Next.

3. Type in a package title.

4. Click Next.

5. Click Next.

6. Click Next.

7. Click Add and navigate to the location you saved the patch.

8. Click the down arrow in the Install Program box. Select the patch. Then, at the end of the patch name, enter /Q.

9. Click Next.

10. Click Next.

11. Click Next.

12. Specify a location to the save the new file. I would use SVC-EXE. Check both boxes and click Yes.

13. Click Next.

14. Select No Restart and click Next.

15. Select Don't Save and click Next.

16. Click Next.

The program will create the new file and save it in the location you specified. Click Finish when it is complete.

Thanks for the very detailed information.

Regarding step #8

"8. Click the down arrow in the Install Program box. Select the patch. Then, at the end of the patch name, enter /Q."

Is this what you want? I kept the filename of the original file and then it appears like this gdidettool.EXE /Q. Is that it? Is the forward slash suppose to be one space after the e? Thanks.

890830 is not the GDITool you are referring to. That is covered as the following registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool]

"GDITool"=dword:00000001

Incorporate that into the registry with any reg tweaks. All the GDI+ Tool does is take you to a MS site to start the tool.

The program I am referring to is the Malware Removal Tool.

890830 is not the GDITool you are referring to.  That is covered as the following registry entry:

Incorporate that into the registry with any reg tweaks.  All the GDI+ Tool does is take you to a MS site to start the tool.

just curious then, why did the hotfixes thread in the unattended forum listed this:

"REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f"

Your registry entry is different from that.

Also when entering the /Q command that you mentioned, should I leave a space after the filename to enter it or tie it in together?

890830 is not the GDITool you are referring to.  That is covered as the following registry entry:

Incorporate that into the registry with any reg tweaks.  All the GDI+ Tool does is take you to a MS site to start the tool.

just curious then, why did the hotfixes thread in the unattended forum listed this:

"REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f"

Your registry entry is different from that.

Also when entering the /Q command that you mentioned, should I leave a space after the filename to enter it or tie it in together?

Yes, add a space after the filename before adding the /Q. The REG ADD was addressed in the post above.

EDIT: I ran an image last night in VMWare just using the registry key for the Malware Removal Tool. I did not install the software, and WindowsUpdate reported it as installed.

Based on the MS article, the program will install, look for the specific malware, remove it, then remove itself. It will make an entry in the registry. That's it. So, 890830 can be addressed in the same fashion as the GDI+ tool by using the registry to tell WU that the patch/program is installed.

Registry Key for Malware Removal Tool:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemovalTools\MRT

"Version"="805647C6-E5ED-4F07-9E21-327592D40E83"