Can XP 64 be multi booted?

alkmie

I just got some 64-Bits hardware at hand to begin my test. I beleive it is the same process as the "regular" Windows. Just follow the guide HERE

I will report my results in a few days... the only thing bothering me is that I see 2 folders on the root of the CD:

1- AMD64

2- I386

And for now, I don't know how to deal with them.

First of all you need the Boot- and Installfiles.

Follow Flyakite´s Guide.

Now copy "AMD64" and "i368" from "$WIN_NT$.~LS" in your AIO-Root. (I know it isn´t nice, but it works.)

Now copy the content of "$WIN_NT$.~BT" into "AMD64".

Don´t create a new Bootfolder.

Delete or edit your winnt.sif, else the setup will searche the installfiles from harddrive!!!

And don´t edit "txtsetup.sif".

At last you need the bootsector from the original CD/Image.

You can extract it with IsoBuster.

Don´t edit it.

Only copy and rename (for example: XP64.DAT) the bootsector in your root.

And copy "WIN51" and "WIN51AP" in your root.

Now you can link the bootsector in your bootmenu (like cdshell).

Your AIO-ROOT:

- AMD43 (install- and bootfiles)

- i386 (installfiles)

- XP64.DAT (bootsector)

- WIN51

- WIN51AP

In german:

Als erstes benötigen wir die Installationsdatein und die Datein, die zum Booten nötig sind.

Zunächst muss man WinXP x64 ganz normal installieren.

Also am besten auf einer anderen Partition oder Festplatte, da VMware keine 64-bit unterstützt.

Nun geht man auf Start | Ausführen (hab mir nicht gemerkt, wie das englisch heißt): CDROM:\AMD64\winnt32.exe /noreboot

Somit wird das Setup gestartet, womit wir die erforderlichen Datein auf die Festplatte kopieren können.

"/noreboot" ist wichtig, damit der PC nicht neustartet und die Installation anfängt.

Im Setup wählen wir nun "New Installation" (nicht Update), geben die Seriennummer ein und wählen, dass wir keine Updates downloaden wollen.

Die Datein werden nun kopiert.

Wenn das Setup fertig ist, befinden sich auf C: zwei versteckte Ordner.

$WIN_NT$.~BT - Boot-Datein

$WIN_NT$.~LS - Installations-Datein

Wichtig: Den schreibschutz der Boot.ini (auch auf C: versteckt) deaktivieren und öffnen.

Jetzt die leste Zeile löschen (sollte irgendwas mit "Setup" sein), damit die Installation nach dem nächsten Neustart nicht beginnt.

Nun öffnen wir den Ordner mit den Installationsdatein.

Dort befinden sich die Beiden Ordner "AMD64" und "I386".

Diese kopieren wir ins Hauptverzeichnis unserer MultiBoot-CD/DVD.

Zur Sicherheit habe ich auch "WIN51" und "WIN51AP" kopiert. Kann nicht schaden. biggrin.gif

Jetzt die Boot-Datein in den AMD64-Ordner kopieren.

Wichtig: Die WInnt.sif löschen oder bearbeiten, da die Installation im jetzigen Zustand die Installationsdatein von der Festplatte suchen würde.

Zum Abschluss müssen wir nurnoch den Bootsektor zB mit IsoBuster von der CD extrahieren und als XP64.DAT im Heuptverzeichnis der CD/DVD speichern.

Nun reicht es im Bootmenü (CDShell, diskmenu, ...) wie gewohnt den Bootsektor anzugeben.

• 7 months later...

I followed your instructions exactly, but it is still not working right. All the installs from the multiboot dvd (made following flyakite's guide) become XP installs that do not work. But if i rename the AMD64 folder to something else, anything else, then the other installations will work fine, but the XP x64 wont work....

The x64 edition doesn't multi-boot very well because of that AMD64 directory...

The CLOSEST thing I was able to do was work around it...

As someone else mentioned I basically added Multiboot ability to me x64 CD, I copied the root of the 64-bit CD to the root of the DVD, left all the names intact and boot the XP64.dat bootsector I got from the CD, made the appropriate entries into the CDshell.ini menu system and it worked...

It's not the most desirable method, but it works...

what other operating systems do have on your multiboot cd? i did that as well, and the XP x64 installed just fine, but none of the other OS i had on there would install. if i renamed the 'AMD64' folder, then the other ones would work, but XP x64 wouldnt... can you try to install the other ones and see if you had the same problem as me?

did you copy the entire root of the xp64 cd to the root of your aio dvd? or just the amd64 and i386 folders? if you did copy the entire contents, did you overwrite any files that were the same (like the WIN51 file)? lastly, did you use the XP64.DAT, or chain it to the boot.bin file?

Nothing got overwritten, so you can leave any like files the same...

I used nLite to slim it down and slipstream hotfixes, then whatever was left I copied to the root of the AIO-DVD that you're makin'... I had it trigger an X64.DAT which was the bootsector of the CD... Ran like a charm... Hell, even the two PE's I've got worked...

It was something I toyed with, I removed it from my AIO because it's not that well used and you're limited to one install options... I had created a test chamber, but since i've not yet fine tuned my AIO-DVD it's been put on the back burner, I just know I did it.... I use DVD-RW's so I've even lost my original....

Hard to do this when you've got only 40GB of work space... I keep alot of clutter around for originals, generics, things like that....

AIO-DVD's are a side project for me....