Associations

troycicle

My mp3s are defaulted to play with PowerDVD 6.0, and my mp4s play with Nero Showtime. I want my mp3s to play with Media Player Classic that's included with the Kazaa Lite Mega Codec pack. The icon I want the mp3s to use is located in C:\Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack\codecs.ico. I want my mp4s to play with PowerDVD 6.0. I want my mp4s to use the icon everything associated with PowerDVD uses. I know there's a lot of registry changes to be made, and I need some help with this.

Try this, save it as mpassoc.inf or something similar:

[Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=Reg.Settings

[Reg.Settings]
HKCR,.mp3
HKCR,.mp4
HKCR,mp3file,,,"MPEG Layer 3 Audio"
HKCR,mp3file\DefaultIcon,,,"%MP3ICON%"
HKCR,mp3file\shell,,,"open"
HKCR,mp3file\shell\open
HKCR,mp3file\shell\open\command,,,"""%MPCPATH%"" ""%L"""
HKCR,mp4file,,,"MPEG4 Video"
HKCR,mp4file\DefaultIcon,,,"%MP4ICON%"
HKCR,mp4file\shell,,,"open"
HKCR,mp4file\shell\open
HKCR,mp4file\shell\open\command,,,"""%PDVDPATH%"" ""%L"""
HKCU,%SMWCEF%\.mp3,Progid,,"mp3file"
HKCU,%SMWCEF%\.mp4,Progid,,"mp4file"

[Strings]
SMWCEF="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts"

;Editable Strings
MPCPATH="%16422%\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe"
MP3ICON="%16422%\K-Lite Codec Pack\codecs.ico"
PDVDPATH="%16422%\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PowerDVD.exe"
MP4ICON="%16422%\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PowerDVD.exe,0"

Just check that the path locations are correct in the four editable strings at the bottom, (%16422% means Program Files). Then all you need to do is Right Click on the saved file and choose Install

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took out WMP and WMP 6.4. Then I used this.

[Version]

Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]

AddReg=Reg.Settings

[Reg.Settings]

HKCR,.mp3

HKCR,mp3file,,,"MPEG Layer 3 Audio"

HKCR,mp3file\DefaultIcon,,,"C:\Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack\codecs.ico"

HKCR,mp3file\shell,,,"open"

HKCR,mp3file\shell\open

HKCR,mp3file\shell\open\command,,,"""C:\Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe"" ""%L"""

HKCU,%SMWCEF%\.mp3,Progid,,"mp3file"

HKCR,.wav

HKCR,wavfile,,,"WAV File"

HKCR,wavfile\DefaultIcon,,,"C:\Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack\codecs.ico"

HKCR,wavfile\shell,,,"open"

HKCR,wavfile\shell\open

HKCR,wavfile\shell\open\command,,,"""C:\Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe"" ""%L"""

HKCU,%SMWCEF%\.wav,Progid,,"wavfile"

[strings]

SMWCEF="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts"

The wave files play with classic, but the mp3's don't. Also how do I get this extensions to show up in my computer, tools, folder options, file types?

• 4 weeks later...

When I go into Media Player Classic, and associate mp3's with it, it makes these changes.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mp3file\shell]

"mplayerc.exe.bak"="open"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mp3file\shell\open]

"LegacyDisable"=-

"LegacyDisable.bak"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mp3file\shell\open\command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\K-Lite Codec Pack\\Media Player Classic\\mplayerc.exe\" \"%1\""

"mplayerc.exe.bak"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" /prefetch:6 /Play \"%L\""

This works, and all my mp3's play with it. When I install PowerDVD 6.0, a bunch of associations get changed. MP3's are now associated with MPEG files. All MPEG files are associated with PowerDVD. If you change one association, like mp3's, all of the other associations for PowerDVD get erased. I want my avi's and mpeg's to play with PowerDVD, just not my mp3's. Please help!

• 1 month later...

Here is all I use in a reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf]
"Application"="fox.exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithList]
"a"="fox.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wmv]
"Application"="mpc.exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wmv\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wmv\OpenWithList]
"a"="mpc.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.asf]
"Application"="mpc.exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.asf\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.asf\OpenWithList]
"a"="mpc.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mpg]
"Application"="mpc.exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mpg\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mpg\OpenWithList]
"a"="mpc.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mpeg]
"Application"="mpc.exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mpeg\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mpeg\OpenWithList]
"a"="mpc.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.avi]
"Application"="mpc.exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.avi\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.avi\OpenWithList]
"a"="mpc.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nfo]
"Application"="nfo.exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nfo\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nfo\OpenWithList]
"a"="nfo.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3]
"Application"="winamp.exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3\OpenWithList]
"a"="winamp.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wav]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wav\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wav\OpenWithList]
"a"="winamp.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.midi]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.midi\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.midi\OpenWithList]
"a"="winamp.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.m3u]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.m3u\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.m3u\OpenWithList]
"a"="winamp.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pls]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pls\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pls\OpenWithList]
"a"="winamp.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\winamp.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\winamp.exe\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\winamp.exe\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\winamp.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\winamp.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\mpc.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\mpc.exe\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\mpc.exe\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\mpc.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\mpc.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\nfo.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\nfo.exe\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\nfo.exe\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\nfo.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\nfo.exe\" \"%1\""

I need to do an install of winamp soon and get the regkey for the context menu of a sound file to put it enqueue. Also, does anyone know if programs in windows folder will run quicker than typical programs installed in program files etc.? Thanks