Windows Update and SP2

RJE

Hi,

I installed SP2 yesterday tryiny to fix a problem with my comuter seing a Orange Micro USB2 card. Now when I go to Window Update I get a error message telling me that there is error in my computer time setting. The time and date are correct. Any ideas.

Thanks in advance

RJE

I installed SP2 yesterday trying to fix a problem with my computer seing a Orange Micro USB2 card.  Now when I go to Window Update I get a error message telling me that there is error in my computer time setting.  The time and date are correct.  Any ideas.

Could you write the exact message? Or a screenshot is better...

Hi: the fix your computer clock & date is only one of several possible fixes(so we need the exact error mesage, as Gape said)-- Some fixes here(scroll down): http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:xuf0A...te+errors&hl=en

MS fix(use it in conjunction w/ Scary's tips in bottom of his page):

Windows 98

Display hidden files

1. Click Start, click Settings, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Delete Temporary Internet Files

1. Close all programs and all Internet Explorer windows.

2. In Control Pane, double-click Internet Options.

3. Click the General tab.

4. Under Temporary Internet Files, click Delete Files.

5. Click OK.

6. Close Control Panel. Restart for the changes to take effect.

Delete files from the Windows Update folder

1. On the Windows desktop, double-click My Computer, double-click drive C, double-click the Program Files folder, and then double-click the WindowsUpdate folder.

2. Click the V4 folder, click Edit, click Invert Selection, and then press DELETE.

Note If you cannot find the V4 folder, click Edit, click Select All and then press DELETE. Skip steps 3 and 4.

3. Double-click the V4 folder.

4. Click the Iuhist.xml file, click Edit, click Invert Selection, and then press DELETE.

Remove the Windows Update ActiveX Controls

1. Click Start, click Find, and then click For Files or Folders. Search for the files named iuctl.dll and Iuengine.dll.

2. Delete all copies of these files.

3. Visit the Windows Update Web site to install new copies of the ActiveX controls.

Other possible causes: try testing/disabling your firewall & any real-time file protector(just get any new ones, change any settings there?)

popup blocker(did you just get a new one / enable popups there),

your java camaged/corrupted,

your ie security settings set to high, block all cookies, scripts, active x, etc.(did you just make any changes in that area?)

your MS installer is damaged:

Let us know......

Nice to see she's more important than us :P

The best thing I would recommend for you is the combo fix(from both Scary & MS-- slightly different details) of deleting the windows update, msdownload, & related folders, files & Acbive X(Windows Update will subsequently re-download & fix all that)... you won't damage anything: think of it as with Outlook Express: when your inbox gets damaged, you just delete it and a new one gets rebuilt w/ losing any data-- and btw that has happened to lots of us at one time or another. I have this app as a backup for that: BigFix it will give you all your updates in the meantime, just like windows update-- even though SESP has all of them, maybe something didn't install correctly.

And fyi: SESP has an uninstall entry in add/remove "Unofficial xxxxxxxxxx"

Though I'm not suggesting that's needed-- we all use it-- i've had no problems with all previous of its versions on several computers.

PS for the other thing, you may also find this page & site helpful: http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Error%20Codes%20Explained.htm

Thanks for all the help.

Maybe something didn't install right. The uninstall for Unofficial xxxxxxxxxx is not list in the Add/Remove or in any unstall program I have.

I can get Windows Update site to work?, but if I reboot then it doesn't work again.

I found this link that works, so I saved in my favorites.

https__V4.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com.url

Wanted to let you know.

I download another copy of 98SE 2 and reinstalled it. Now the Windows Update works and it is listed under Add/Remove programs. I must have gotten a bad download before.

Thanks to all of you. It is really nice to know people care

THANKS AGAIN

Fantastic!!

PS I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong, but if you ever think you're getting more than the usual amount of corrupted downloads-- in particular zipped archives-

I've seen this happen with : overheating(failed internal fans), ram problems, hard disk about to go.

Just call me paranoid...

Al the best to you!

Wanted to let you know.

I download another copy of 98SE 2 and reinstalled it.  Now the Windows Update works and it is listed under Add/Remove programs.  I must have gotten a bad download before.

Thanks to all of you.  It is really nice to know people care

THANKS AGAIN

Yup, you might have improperly downloaded the '98SE 2' pack meaning you only download a portion of it and not the whole thing. It happens sometimes.

You can avoid the problem of improper downloads by using third party download

manager tools such as Getright or Download Express to download 98se 2 because

these tools have a 'resume' feature. Sometimes downloads mysteriously quit for some odd reason and most web browsers can't recover and they give a 'false' impression that a download is complete when it really isn't.

Download managers, on the other hand, recognize that if a file transfer gets interrupted it will resume and continue on getting the remaining portion of a download.