Problems installing XP... so many problems

Exodia

Hey folks,

I recently bought a new Soltek Qbic EQ3109 along with a new ati 9600 video card, 512meg of ram and a 120 gig sata hard drive. From day one ive had nothing but problems with this system. Even had problems right of the bat from a fresh installation. Ive tried installing from different CDs time and time again and still the same batch of problems. So, i ran memtest last night and it turned up a fair amount of errors in my BRAND NEW ram! :realmad:

So, could it be the ram thats the root of all my problems? The failing of programs to start, the random program crashes, the freezing. Ive also noticed some other strange things... a scsi drive appeared once yet i have no scsi devices or even scsi controllers. Other devices that i do not have also have appeared. could this all be due to bad memory??

Astala,

Its a little too late for me to send the ram back. I was planning on upgrading to 2x512megs in another month or so but it looks like i'll be doin that sooner now. Oh, and Dell can go to hell.:lol:

Punto,

I figured it was the ram, i just like to get opinions before i make an costly changes. I'll have to check the compatibility of the ram with my system, its muskin black which should be fine but i'll check anyway so i know what not to get when i buy again. And yes, i meant 3901 :D

Could be that the DIMMs are asking a bit more power, so rise the voltage on them (if there is an option for them in the BIOS). Also try to set CAS/RAS/C2R settings by hand in the BIOS (higher is slower but more stable (most of the times)). ;)

exodia do u live in the united states?

honestly i wish i could distribute dell. the number one selling PC in china.

imagine w/ over 1.3 billion how much money i could.

$1250 off and free shipping on the loaded top of the line Dimension XPS Generation 3 Desktop P4 550 3.4Ghz, 1GB ddr2-533 Memory/250GB Serial ATA HD, 16x DVD, 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer, ATI X300 PCI Express video card, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, XP Home SP2, 3 yr warranty $2446 - $1250 off coupon = $1196 shipped free.

i love dell. but i also purchase sony vaio z series notebooks. cuz they are lighter .

more expensive but lighter. i hv a bad back. so carrying a 8 lbs laptop is a no no for me.

Question: What is the wattage of your power supply? If you have a TON of power-consuming compenents in your system, I would suggest a 400watt or above power supply. A poor power supply can cause those problems, so check there first, then the memory.

My Opinion of Store Bought PCs: BURN THEM, BURN THEM ALLL MUHA HA HA HA!

(Sorry, but I've always had problems with store bought systems, so I build my own instead. That way you get exactly what you want for a lot less.)

Astalavista,

I live in Bermuda... i have all my stuff shipped to an address in the states then forwarded to me. And no, i dont need a Dell. :D

arablizzard2413

I have a 300w psu, it should be more than enough to run a cheap video card on my mobo with 1 HD and 1 optical drive. I have nothing much in this machine.

Im convinced theres a problem with the memory, ive run Memtest and it turned up a bunch of errors. I'll be replacing the memory next week.