Not Happy With The New Winpe 2005 (win2k3 Sp1)

TWiST

Im very upset with the new WinPE 2005 (Win2k3 SP1). So im trying to do the old add explorer to WinPE trick and its giving me a very strange error. I've attached a screenshot of the BSOD im getting. It seems like the new winpe cataloges the files its suppost to have in it and if there are extra files it dosent like that. But im really not sure it just happened and I havent had time to experiemnt with it I figured I would post about it and then do some more work.

The error is.

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Non-DLL file included in KnownDLL list. system process terminated unexpextedly with a status of 0xc000036f (oxe1174060 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down.

Any ideas ?

EDIT:

I've been playing with it a bit more and it seems to have alot of stuff allready in the registry and seems a bit more functional then the previous winpe's but Im not sure, and if thats true then why is it having such a hard time.

post-81-1107516340_thumb.jpg

Looks like an older file version or mismatch took place.

ResKit info

System file mismatch caused by partially restoring the system from backup media might cause this error (some backup programs do not restore files that they determine are in use). Always use backup software that is Windows XP Professional compatible.

Looks like an older file version or mismatch took place.

ResKit info

System file mismatch caused by partially restoring the system from backup media might cause this error (some backup programs do not restore files that they determine are in use). Always use backup software that is Windows XP Professional compatible.

Been there ... Done that...

If you are using 2005. START OVER!

I made that mistake. Save nothing from your previous version.

Generate all new files.

Chris

Well then I am really doing something wrong cause I have I have generated all new files. So now im really confused, and when I add the vb6 dll's my vb6 apps wont launch anymore that I made for my installer. or my Autorun for that matter and I have no idea why.

• 2 months later...

Edit the WinPE SYSTEM registry file (C:\winpe\i386\system32\setupreg.hiv).

Edit the hive as PESYSTEM

Edit HKLM\PESYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\KnownDLLs and delete all entries except for "DLLDirectory"

This should resolve that problem.

• 8 months later...

Had the same problem, but I had an other solution to solve it.

In my WinPE 2004 version I copied also the file NTVDM.EXE (virtual DOS machine). This file I had to remove and the bluescreen was away.

It's silly because the ntvdm.exe is not listed in the KNOWN Dll key.

• 3 weeks later...

since you guys have been able to install W2K3SP1 using WINPE 2005, here is my question

when i run the mkimg.cmd i get the following:

verifying media...

building hives...

MKIMG failed to build WinPE's registry from the 'config.inf' file.

If you have made modifications to this file, please check them for errors.

this file has not been modified at all and works fine for XPSP2, and if I try it on W2K3 i get version mismatch

Please help