Pay Rate Question for Webmasters....

dankbud42o

How much do you webmasters usually charge as an hourly fee for websites? i just got offered a job to build a website for a company and not sure how much to charge for an hourly rate.... i was thinking around $15 or so an hour?? is that reasonable or what? thanks.

You have to take into consideration how long the creation of the site will be, how long you plan to spend on it each day, how difficult it is to code, what it will feature, etc.

Working from home, plan about 20 hours per week - say you have other jobs to do, it makes you seem in demand. If employed solely by them in an office, double this to 40 (a full working week).

It also depends on how your client is willing to pay you - ask what they would be willing to pay and how they will pay you.

Some companies are very rigid when it comes to paying out - you have to be on their payroll earning a wage, rather than recieving a final payment.

Recently, I quoted £500 for a job, but was offered only £350 (US conversion about $650), as they didn't have the funds.

In the end I actually got my £500, but thats only because I fiddled them as they had put me on their payroll with £5/hour and I had signed for 100 hours over the projects 4 weeks.

Had they agreed a fixed payment on completion I would have lost out, but thats the way the company wanted to do business, so their loss.

BTW - the job took only 50 hours, so I would have recieved less than they offered me anyway (£250 - half my quote and £100 less than they offered me).

First, you should base it on their needs. If it's just a simple website in HTML then you would certainly charge less than a PHP site that allows for MySQL access. Will it be a one time creation or are they going to want you to admin and maintain it? Now, I like to get my name out so a lot of times a first time job I will charge less so that you get a recommendation. Let them know up front that it's a one time offer and that your rates do go up after completion. You will find before you know it you will be getting calls "I was recommended to call you. They said you could help me create a web page..."

Good luck!

It depends who is your market. If you have lawyers that make 1000.00 an hour. For them to pay 100.00 /hr is nothing.

I once worked for a lawyer, i couldn't fix his computer. He still paid me.

For my time. He said win or lose son, I get paid.

Pretty nice guy.

I believe that you should charge depending on the work and time required.

You can't charge someone a flat rate.

It depends who is your market. If you have lawyers that make 1000.00 an hour. For them to pay 100.00 /hr is nothing.

I once worked for a lawyer, i couldn't fix his computer. He still paid me.

For my time. He said win or lose son, I get paid.

Pretty nice guy.

I believe that you should charge depending on the work and time required.

You can't charge someone a flat rate.

I like that lawyer :D

Can you give me his address? :P

This may seem 'odd', but I think it's fairly reasonable! Even a plumber gets paid for the time he worked, not for WHAT he did...