Unattended Install on Laptop

I purchased a new laptop recently. Of course, it was loaded with the crap that the manufacturer installed. I dealt with it for about 2 months and finally decided to format the hard drives. Boy, am I glad I did. The laptop finally runs like it should (it have over 40 processes loaded at startup!!!), as well as three partitions. One for XP and two for protected storage (one partition hosted the restore disk and the other the drivers.. Anyway, I decided to modify my unattended install disc a little (I removed a few programs; such as Nero, AnyDVD, CloneDVD and a few others) and burned a disc for my laptop. Upon install I noticed that I never got the screen for where I get to select whether or not I want Windows Updates or not, as well as enter my usernames. It then automatically created an Administrator account and installed everything (Registry Settings, programs, etc.) under that account.

I then decided to format the hard drive again with the XP disc that came with the laptop. This did not allow me to set up user accounts either.

Does anyone have a clue on how I get it to ask me for the user account names?

If it helps, my unattended disc is a XP Pro Corp. disc. The disc that came with the laptop is a XP SP2 Home disc from Dell...

On the unattended CD you created, considering adding in the OOBE (Out of Box Experience) files. You can find more info. on this forum. Just search for it. That should do what your looking for.

On the unattended CD you created, considering adding in the OOBE (Out of Box Experience) files.  You can find more info. on this forum.  Just search for it.  That should do what your looking for.

What is this going to do for me? It works perfectly when I use the CD on the desktop. However, when I use my unattended CD OR the XP SP2 CD that came with the laptop, I get NO prompt to create the usernames, register (not activate) XP, etc.

Why is my laptop skipping over this?

Sorry to ask, but why do you need that window anyway?

Because without these screens, I cannot specify account names. It defaults to Administrator and my unattended CD tries to install everything under Administrator and this is causing some problems as on my unattended CD, I specify accounts for certain registry tweaks and other things. For example, since I have certain user profile data incorporated into my Office 2003 under my normal account name, I get errors in certain parts of Office 2003 (I get an error trying to use/create signatures in Outlook for instance). There are other problems this causes as well.

No one has any clue why an unattended CD would work flawlessly on a desktop but not a laptop???

The OOBE is what gives you the screen to add users at setup. As for the updates, it sounds like Security Center has been disabled or modified so it may not run.

Because you are using a Corp. CD you may not get the same prompts and screens as you would with the Dell factory CD.

In any case, there are regtweaks, and unattend settings that will enable automatic updates.

There are batch files and vbScripts that will add users for you.

If you can get the screens you want to come up maybe consider using these ways to achieve your goals.

Good luck.

You guys seem to be missing my point. The unattended DVD that I created works 100% correctly on my desktop (has for over a year)!!!! It gives me all the prompts to create users, and causes 0 errors.

If I needed these OOBE files then I would need them for my desktop as well.

My question is, why does my laptop skip over this portion of the install/setup and my desktop doesn't using the same exact XP cd (minus a few applications)????

tguy- I get this screen (enabling Windows Updates) on my install on my desktop even though I have a reg file that disables it later. It doesn't access the reg file until after this portion of the install, so this point is moot.

Rule number one dont shout. NO one likes to help a shouter. They get ignored for their rude behavior. Remember your the one asking for help. So if u want a solution be NICE.

You said that u hv been using the same DVD for over a year now.

Have you updated to SP2?

Have you integrated all 15 Hotfixes recently released?

Did u use Nlite?

What model is your dell Laptop be specific.

You speak of special tweaks and registry settings can u pls tell us more about that.

Have u tried to make a new fresh U.A.? and trying it out on your laptop?

Are you using Multiboot DVD?

Do you have a licence to install XP corp on your laptop?

I'd love to just laugh like crazy about that last question, I'm sure we all know what he's up to.

my suspicion is that he updated something, otherwise he'd not be having these problems

ie if he tried it on the desktop, it would do the same thing.

check the autologin script and reg file if that's what you are using for your accounts

gotta be some error there whether it's a copy error or what who knows.

do you have the oemprecopy enabled? or are you scripted to run from the D:\ drive?

I'd love to just laugh like crazy about that last question, I'm sure we all know what he's up to.

my suspicion is that he updated something, otherwise he'd not be having these problems

ie if he tried it on the desktop, it would do the same thing.

check the autologin script and reg file if that's what you are using for your accounts

gotta be some error there whether it's a copy error or what who knows.

do you have the oemprecopy enabled? or are you scripted to run from the D:\ drive?

Yes, I have a 100% valid VLK for XP Corporate so you can laugh all you want to.

Your suspicion is totally incorrect. As I have stated COUNTLESS times, it works perfectly on my desktops. No errors at all and it allows me to create all of my necessary users. I installed it on a test machine 5 minutes ago to make sure. The Unattended DVD I created specifically for my laptop works flawlessly on my desktop as well.

Rule number one dont shout. NO one likes to help a shouter. They get ignored for their rude behavior. Remember your the one asking for help. So if u want a solution be NICE.

You said that u hv been using the same DVD for over a year now.

Have you updated to SP2?

Have you integrated all 15 Hotfixes recently released?

Did u use Nlite?

What model is your dell Laptop be specific.

You speak of special tweaks and registry settings can u pls tell us more about that.

Have u tried to make a new fresh U.A.? and trying it out on your laptop?

Are you using Multiboot DVD?

Do you have a licence to install XP corp on your laptop?

I'll ignore the no shoutting comment.

Yes, it is slipstreamed with SP2.

I have RyanVM's latest pack slipstreamed as well.

No. I do not use Nlite.

Inspirin 1150 I believe.

What do registry settings matter if the setup hasn't even gotten this far.

Yes. All CDs I have made work flawlessly on my test desktops. Not on the laptop though.

Yes, I have a valid VLK for XP Corp.