Instal MSI without switches

IcemanND

This came about when I was having problems getting Roxio CD & DVD Creator to install and run properly after a silent install.

After spending a few hours at it I thought I would try my hand at editing the MSI using ORCA. Here are the results and since I don't want to have to say I wasted 6 hours on one project I am planning on doing this for other apps and posting the info here for others. It may be slow going. If others want to take on an app or two PM the instructions to me and I'll and them to this page. Changes are in red. No switches required just run the MSI.

Roxio Easy cd & DVD Creator 6

extract the ecdc6.MSI and Data.cab

using ORCA open the MSI

TABLE                      PROPERTY                                  VALUE

CheckBox                  LAUNCHREADME                        0

CheckBox                  LAUNCHREGISTRATION              0

Property                    LAUNCHREADME                        0

Property                    LAUNCHREGISTRATION              0

Property                    AgreeToLicense                          Yes

Property                    USINTERAC                            ZERO

Property                    ROX_KEYTEXT                          xx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (replace with your serial number)

Property                    REBOOT                                    ReallySuppress

Property                    REBOOTPROMPT                    Suppress

Condition                      varies                                    change YES to NO to not install components

ControlCondition        CustomerInformation            SerialNumber        Hide        1

ControlCondition        CustomerInformation            SerialLabel            Hide        1

• 4 years later...

Hi, thanks for the instructions!

only prob i have is when i get it to run the uninstaller i get an error saying it cannot complete setup due to a lack of space, any clues?

Cheers!

.. two PM the instructions to me and I'll and them to this page.
Thank you for posting the INSTRUCTIONS to how to do this stuff. All too often in this forum (and elsewhere on the net) people post their pre-packaged switchless stuff and don't indicate HOW they did it.

Although the convenience of pre-packaged installers are nice, I prefer to do it myself for mainly four reasons:

1. Trust - There's no mystery to what's getting installed when I do it
  2. Flexibility - All too often some strip out stuff assuming others don't want the extras. I can include the extras I wish to keep.
  3. Timeliness - If a newer version comes out, I can redo my installer without waiting (I could be waiting forever if the "project" gets abandoned).
  4. Extrapolation - I can apply this knowledge to other things I would like to install

Edited by JoeMSFN

well i got this workin in the end! was my script causin errors!

but completely agree its best to them yourself! i love goin thru this stuff, cos its interestin & i feel like i've accomplished somert!

:thumbup