msblaster but no msblaster

BombaTwist

hi i have a problem with my xp, whenever i connect to the internet like 30 min later the thing shows up to restart my computer and counts down from 1 min. then i cant do anything, i just did a fresh reinstall of my windows xp and it happened, i scanned my computer and no msblaster virus or anything and i havent even downloaded anything. so it acts like an msblaster but i dont have the virus. can someone help me?

hi i have a problem with my xp, whenever i connect to the internet like 30 min later the thing shows up to restart my computer and counts down from 1 min. then i cant do anything, i just did a fresh reinstall of my windows xp and it happened, i scanned my computer and no msblaster virus or anything and i havent even downloaded anything. so it acts like an msblaster but i dont have the virus. can someone help me?

To stop the countdown:

Go to Run and type shutdown -a

Did you use the latest virusdefinition updates?

Also; you don't need to download anything to get infected by a virus!

how do i disable it from happening ever again?

Have you tried a second antivirus (e.g. f-prot for DOS, which is free)?

You should also scan your harddrive using ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Off course downloading the latest updates from windowsupdate is also a must ;)

Edited by bucketbuster

I would sudgest getting a firewall program, say zone alarm, keep it handy like on a cd or thumb drive. Disconect your computer from the internet. Reformat and reinstall Windows XP, then install the firewall program before you plug yourself into the internet again. Then do all your windows updates, and get an antivirus solution before you start downloading things again.

The viruses your getting are comming in through your internet connection and getting on your system through secutiry holes. The firewall program will stop these infections so you can get your system patched up. Then I would sudgest slipstreaming Service Pack 2 into your windows cd, just so the update process isn't so much for you to do the next reinstall.

gah my computer wouldnt let me connect thru the internet when i restarted it, so then i had to reformat AGAIN. plus that "activate windows" thingy is hella annoying the crap out of me. whats another good firewall program cause i dont really like to use firewalls cause they screw up the games i like to play.

gah my computer wouldnt let me connect thru the internet when i restarted it, so then i had to reformat AGAIN. plus that "activate windows" thingy is hella annoying the crap out of me. whats another good firewall program cause i dont really like to use firewalls cause they screw up the games i like to play.

Nowadays firewalls are a must!

Other firewalls are e.g from kerio or sygate.