Turn off delete confirmation for Recycle Bin

kukris

Is there a way to turn off the delete confirmation for Recycle Bin AND have the Recycle Bin deactivated? Just like for Windows 2000 / XP?

Or can I replace any system files for that purpose?

That's not quite what I meant. I only wanted to turn off the delete confirmation AND have no Recycle Bin. If I have the Recycle Bin activate, I can turn off the delete confirmation.

I can go to properties, but once I activate "Do not move file to Recycle Bin" (the upper box) the lower box "Display delete confirmation" is greyed out and I can't click it anymore. It doesn't matter if I first deactive the lower box and then activate the upper box before it greys out.

But nonetheless thanks for your efforts

Let's see if i get this:

I can check in mine's properties: do not move files to recycle bin, remove immediately when deleted. Then,,,,,

I can open X-Setup and go here: Appearance\Desktop\Icons\Visible Icons\Generic Windows Icons\uncheck recycle bin..... OR--

I can hit the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E)\select & delete Recycle Bin\log off or reboot.......

is that what you meant, or am i still not getting it?

btw i can check/uncheck either delete confirmation and/or do not move files........

and neither gets grayed out......

No, no. I don't want to delete the symbol from the desktop, but configure the Recycle Bin so I can delete files in Windows Explorer without any confirmation.

Strange that your lower box isn't grayed out. Maybe you have another Windows version? Mine is Windows 98SE OEM (german). Do you have maybe Windows ME?

I also looked up for some Options in X-Setup Pro 6.6, but there are only things like changing the name, deleting the symbol from the desktop or altering the tool tip info.

I guess there is a system file responsible for that, but which one?

edit: BTW in spite of below fix, the settings won't really matter anyhow... read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q131572/

though one extra keypress aín't so bad actually.......

I did just install the 98ME replacements-- & yes, properties box looks different, but i don't think that's the answer.

Do you now / have you had any utiilities re: undelete, protected recycle bin(Norton Utilities have such a function, as well Fix-it, Nuts N Bolts Macaffee, etc..... even if you uninstall them, not all such settings get rolled back.

You can try deleting it, then windows will re-build it-- hopefully thus it will then be back to a normal state & you'll be able to do with it whatever you wish.

Boot into dos and delete your Recycled folder-- two steps / if you have more than one partition, repeat process in each one.

Type: attrib -r -s -h c:\recycled (click enter) type: deltree c:\recycled (click enter) boot into windows.

viel Glueck :)

though one extra keypress aín't so bad actually

It is annoying. Especially if you delete folders like Temporary Internet Files or other folders that have hidden / system files.

I know the trick with the shift button, but that doesn't solve my issue.

I just thought I could replace some files to get the Windows 2000 / XP functionality, but it seems there isn't any way, sad.

But again thanks for your help

• 1 month later...

@kukris I think this is what you are looking for in the form of a registry entry imported during the install:

;change Recycle Bin info
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\BitBucket]
"PurgeInfo"=hex:48,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,\
 00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,\
 0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,0a,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,68,4e,f5,\
 bf
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"ShellState"=hex:1c,00,00,00,67,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
 01,00,00,00,0a,00,00,00

Bonus: the HKLM entry reduces the size of the Bin to 4%. Make your changes to a test machine then consult these keys. You may have to reboot before the changes take effect.