Installation Guide for Win98 SE SP 2.0

Gape

Installation Guide

PreRequites:

- Windows 98 SE English (4.10.2222A).

- 32 MB of RAM minimum.

- At least 40 MB free hard disk space.

Installation order:

*1- Install Windows 98 SE (with or without 98lite).

*2- Install IE 6.0 SP1.

ICK! Oh terrible Ick! Mozilla is a hundred times better!

3- Install all newest drivers of your hardware.

*4- Install DirectX (9.0c).

*5- Install MS Office.

*6- Install/Use 98lite to remove any features.

7- Close all open programs.

8- Install latest SE SP.

*9- Install critical updates from WindowsUpdate. 

What about a PC without any 'net access? Is there anywhere that the contesnts of the "Security Updates" CD has been archived for download? Also, is there some place at which summaries of these next three items can be found? I've not run across mention of any of them.

*10- Install MDGx's latest 982ME.

*11- Install Maximum-Decim's latest Native USB Drivers.

*12- Install Tihiy's latest Revolutions Pack.

13- Update or re-install drivers of your hardware, if you have any problem.

I set up a newly assembled PC weekend before last, used the prior version of SESP, and so far, haven't located my own copy of that Security CD. It's for a grandson, and doesn't have a modem in it, nor provision to connect to any other Inet access, until he is a little older, when/if, and/or, I can afford to pay his access fees for him.

:unsure:

Kiwi

ICK! Oh terrible Ick! Mozilla is a hundred times better!
It doesn't matter which browser u use to get on the web, IE 6.0 SP1 + *all current* security patches:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm

kill bugs + vulnerabilities which would otherwise make your OS *open* to attacks, because of MS dreaded "browser integration". This means lots of system files in %windir%\system are used by your OS to access the network/internet *no matter* which browser u use, and same files are also used by IE, no matter if u use it or not.

All users of MS Win32 OSes *must* install all current IE patches. Period.

Edit:

I meant that only for the purpose of minimizing security risks it's mandatory to install MS IE 6.0 SP1 + all its security patches.

I know SP 2.0.x doesn't need IE 5/6 nor DirectX. ;)

And why I always say that everybody should install IE 6.0 SP1 + all its security patches, is because MS stopped making patches for IE 5.0, 5.01, 5.5, 6.0 etc. Therefore all those older IE builds are unprotected, and currently MS makes patches only for IE 6.0 SP1. :(

ICK!  Oh terrible Ick! Mozilla is a hundred times better!
As I stated in the guide, it's optional. You don't require to install IE 6 or DirectX 9.
What about a PC without any 'net access?  Is there anywhere that the contesnts of the "Security Updates" CD has been archived for download?  Also, is there some place at which summaries of these next three items can be found?  I've not run across mention of any of them.

SP 2.0.1 contains all critical OS updates. However, it doesn't contain IE-related, Media Player-related, DirectX-related updates. (But it contains required updates for bundled IE 5.0 of 98 SE.)

So if you use IE 5.5+, you should install critical updates from WinUpdate.

Could an addition to this install list on the main page be made? I think a small "upgrade" section is needed. It should contain a section "What to do when a new version of X comes out." Where X is SP, RP, or 982ME. That way people know exactly what they need to do when a new 982ME comes out, or a new RP or a new SP.

I would personally like at least an answer to all 3 :)

I have a question about installation. I'm planning on getting a new computer w/ 2GB RAM, Athlon 64 FX-55 CPU, two hard drives (120GB & 160GB), and I want to install both Win98SE and WinXP Pro. I plan on using the service pack steps, but are there any immediate issues with installing Win98SE on a drive without an operating system with 2GB RAM? If so, are there any remedies I can do before I order a PC, like reduce RAM to 1GB or have additional software available?

Could an addition to this install list on the main page be made?  I think a small "upgrade" section is needed.  It should contain a section "What to do when a new version of X comes out."  Where X is SP, RP, or 982ME.  That way people know exactly what they need to do when a new 982ME comes out, or a new RP or a new SP.

I would personally like at least an answer to all 3

I can only speak for 98SE2ME, because that's the only one I develop + maintain.

Please see READ1ST.TXT [75 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

which is also part of the 98SE2ME.EXE package [2 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/4

The "FAQ" chapter explains your inquiry as far as 98SE2ME is concerned.

And if you have any other questions concerning 98SE2ME, please don't hesitate to ask in this forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

Gape is the author of SP, and this is the forum to ask.

Tihiy is the author of RP, and this is the forum to ask:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=39333

Hope this helps.

I have a question about installation. I'm planning on getting a new computer w/ 2GB RAM, Athlon 64 FX-55 CPU, two hard drives (120GB & 160GB), and I want to install both Win98SE and WinXP Pro. I plan on using the service pack steps, but are there any immediate issues with installing Win98SE on a drive without an operating system with 2GB RAM? If so, are there any remedies I can do before I order a PC, like reduce RAM to 1GB or have additional software available?
If you plan on installing both 98SE + XP Pro, you can install 98SE after XP, so you don't need to worry about installing 98SE [probably upgrade] on a "virgin" PC with no OS.

If u want to install 98SE first [also upgrade], and if it prompts u for a "qualifying upgrade", u can always pop in the XP CD or point to the where the I386 folder resides on your HD *if* u copied it there [which I strongly recommend for faster install], and it should allow u to install 98SE afterwards.

98SE SETUP.EXE [even upgrade] works from native MS-DOS, if u boot from a 95/98/98SE boot floppy, unless u had already installed 98SE before.

And if u install 98SE from MS-DOS, make sure u load SMARTDRV in memory first, to speed up installing from the CD [or better, copy the WIN98 folder onto your HD]:

SMARTDRV 12288 16 C+ D+ /N

Add D+ only if u have 2 HDs/partitions.

To my knowledge, after u install Gape's SP, you shouldn't need to lower your RAM amount to 1 GB or less, should work ok as is.

If it doesn't, then u can add/modify the MaxPhysPage= SYSTEM.INI line, even from native MS-DOS [using EDIT.COM] if won't allow u to load Windows GUI:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip8.htm#BADMEM

See also this:

http://www.mdgx.com/lastweek.htm#SYSINI

The only problem I'm aware of [and I know Gape + Petr are working to fix it] is that you may encounter errors with your large 160 GB HD, because there is no [free] fix [yet] for 98SE ESDI_506.PDR to handle HDs > 134 GB ["big LBA"], *unless* your mobo has a VIA chipset, in which case installing the VIA 4-in-1 drivers solves this issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks MDGx. I will print out those steps for my installation. About the hard disks, I was planning on installing Win98SE on the 120GB-FAT32 and WinXP Pro/SP2 on the 160GB-NTFS. I only want Win98SE to see only its drive.

MGDx:

Shouldnt the answer be relatively simple?

Installing new SP:

install sp, install 982me, install RP

Installing new 982me:

install 982me, install RP

Installing new RP:

Just install RP?

Is that basically correct?

Thanks MDGx. I will print out those steps for my installation. About the hard disks, I was planning on installing Win98SE on the 120GB-FAT32 and WinXP Pro/SP2 on the 160GB-NTFS. I only want Win98SE to see only its drive.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I *think* that windows 98SE must be installed on the "C" drive which is typically the first partition on your primary drive. Windows XP will install to any partition on any drive.

So given your hardware, I'd set up the 120GB as the primary drive ©, the 160 as the secondary drive (D), then install Windows 98SE to the C drive first, then install XP to the D drive.

Installation Guide

Slipstreaming Guide

2.0 supports a special slipstreaming method. Only hotfixes can be integrated into your Windows 98 SE Setup from the start. Other features like TweakUI cannot be integrated.

1- Copy \WIN98 directory with its contents from CD into your hard drive (like D:\WIN98).

2- With Winzip, Winrar or PowerArchiver, extract SP2.CAB from SESP20.EXE into a temporary directory.

3- Extract all files into D:\WIN98 from SP2.CAB. (For example, you should see D:\WIN98\ACPI.SYS file after extracting SP2.CAB).

4- Use D:\WIN98\SETUP.EXE for starting Windows 98 Setup. Windows 98 Setup will use these hotfixed files automatically during installation.

I had an error come up on the slipstreaming, here it is:

error Code = 5001

message SU0350

"Setup was unable to display the Nondisclosure agreement. Setup will now close."

@_@'

Any ideas for a way to fix this? I my copy of SE is an upgrade

(full retail) version...not the MS Upgrade cd that Axcel216 talks about

on his site which was more or less worthless due to a crippled no dos

setup routine.

Thanks!

Edited by iWindoze

I my copy of SE is an upgrade

(full retail) version...not the MS Upgrade cd that Axcel216 talks about

on his site which was more or less worthless due to a crippled no dos

setup routine.

Could you elaborate what exactly you read at my site, eventually with a small quote and/or URL, please?

Thanks.