Installation Guide for Win98 SE SP 2.0

Gape

Gape,

I'll be setting up a new system soon. I noticed your revised order and am confused.

Surely I can't wait until the last step for motherboard chipset drivers, Ethernet/modem cards and drivers, etc.

I mean, I don't think Windows would make it through step 4 without at least the motherboard drivers on there!

Wouldn't you install the videocard drivers after installing DirectX?

Previously I was installing Winzip and the motherboard chipset and via usb drivers first, then the Microsoft greater than 32GB HD's and fdisk patch's, then IE6SP1 (from the Microsoft cd by navigating to the setup file as the autorun doesn't work on the low, pre-video driver resolution). Then the Windows 98 Resource Kit and the vbrun pack. Then DirectX 9.0c, DotNet 1.1 and the dotnet service pack, the Managed DirectX update, my videocard drivers. Then the Microsoft JavaVM update. Then install all the Windows components from Add/Remove and the 98 Plus! Pack (just the fun stuff in the Plus! Pack, no utilities). Then Client For Microsoft Networks, but choose Windows Logon. Then the Microsoft WDM Audio and USB patch's. Then I would install a soundcard and drivers. Then I would uninstall cdplayer. Next install WMP 7.1, the encoder and WMP Bonus Pack, a modem and drivers, my ethernet card and drivers (but hold off on pluging in the cable modem). My printer and drivers, and scanner and drivers. Then the fax software. WorksSuite was next. Then WMP 9. Then the 98SE Service Pack. Then ZoneAlarm. Connect the net and register everything and do the Windows Updates. Then do the 98SE2ME pack. Then the native USB thing. Done. (Except for Firefox, Thunderbird, brower plugins, McAfee VirusScan, mp3's, games!)

How can one get to the net in step 8 before installing the hardware and drivers? I don't understand that change.

Also, I know the Service Pack includes the 32GB HD, WDM and USB patch's but I install the 32GB patch in case ScanDisk decides to run on its own (usually doesn't but you never can be too careful!), and the audio/usb stuff is good to install before your audio drivers even if using the vxd version. Especially for the Creative SbLive software. Their newer cd's install them as part of the setup (but don't tell you) if you install the wdm's, but sometimes I copy the cd to the hard drive and change the Audio.ini to install the vxd's by default (better dos support) and in that case Creative doesn't run the patch's. It needs the usb patch for PlayCenter to work right. And even the Santa Cruz wdm's need the wdm patch on before installing the drivers.

How does my order sound? And please explain what is mean't by moving the hardware drivers to last in your list. I don't understand how that is possible.

Wouldn't you install the videocard drivers after installing DirectX?

Previously I was installing Winzip and the motherboard chipset and via usb drivers first, then the Microsoft greater than 32GB HD's and fdisk patch's,  then IE6SP1 (from the Microsoft cd by navigating to the setup file as the autorun doesn't work on the low, pre-video driver resolution).  Then the Windows 98 Resource Kit and the vbrun pack. Then DirectX 9.0c, DotNet 1.1 and the dotnet service pack, the Managed DirectX update, my videocard drivers.  Then the Microsoft JavaVM update.  Then install all the Windows components from Add/Remove and the 98 Plus! Pack (just the fun stuff in the Plus! Pack, no utilities).  Then Client For Microsoft Networks, but choose Windows Logon.  Then the Microsoft WDM Audio and USB patch's.  Then I would install a soundcard and drivers.  Then I would uninstall cdplayer.  Next install WMP 7.1, the encoder and WMP Bonus Pack,  a modem and drivers, my ethernet card and drivers (but hold off on pluging in the cable modem).  My printer and drivers, and scanner and drivers.  Then the fax software.  WorksSuite was next.  Then WMP 9.  Then the 98SE Service Pack.  Then ZoneAlarm.  Connect the net and register everything and do the Windows Updates.  Then do the 98SE2ME pack.  Then the native USB thing.  Done.  (Except for Firefox, Thunderbird, brower plugins, McAfee VirusScan, mp3's, games!)

How can one get to the net in step 8 before installing the hardware and drivers?  I don't understand that change. 

Also, I know the Service Pack includes the 32GB HD, WDM and USB patch's but I install the 32GB patch in case ScanDisk decides to run on its own (usually doesn't but you never can be too careful!), and the audio/usb stuff is good to install before your audio drivers even if using the vxd version.  Especially for the Creative SbLive software.  Their newer cd's install them as part of the setup (but don't tell you) if you install the wdm's, but sometimes I copy the cd to the hard drive and change the Audio.ini to install the vxd's by default  (better dos support) and in that case Creative doesn't run the patch's.  It needs the usb patch for PlayCenter to work right.  And even the Santa Cruz wdm's need the wdm patch on before installing the drivers.

How does my order sound?  And please explain what is mean't by moving the hardware drivers to last in your list.  I don't understand how that is possible.

Eck, some users have problems with drivers after installing the SP. This is the reason of the revision of the installation guide.

I revised it again. If you need, you can install your drivers on the early steps (especially mainboard drivers). Some mainboard suppliers recommend that you should install your video card drivers twice, before DirectX, and after DirectX.

In short, install your drivers as your order, but if you have any problem (i.e. performance), reinstall your drivers again.

Thanks.

ok very sorry if i'm wasting anyone's time here but:

Gape posted a way to install HiS service pack 2, then

all these people tripped out, then Gape you revised it:

where? in this thread? the first post?

.. how should it be installed then ??!

no offense but i mean to say the least i'm cornfused :/

AND --------------------------------------------------------- !!!!

Slipstreaming Guide

3- Extract all hotfixed files into D:\WIN98 from SP2.CAB.

Is that ALL the files in SP2.CAB?

seriously, what the heck do you mean man? ..................

Gape posted a way to install HiS service pack 2, then

all these people tripped out, then Gape you revised it:

where? in this thread? the first post?

.. how should it be installed then ??!

no offense but i mean to say the least i'm cornfused :/

AND --------------------------------------------------------- !!!!

seriously, what the heck do you mean man? ..................

Confused or angry? :(

You should look at the first post for the latest version of the installation guide. Based on users' experience, I try to improve the installation guide. For example, after bizzybody's comment, I deleted "hotfixed" word.

Heh, heh. It's kind of tricky to make operating system's happy , eh?

As a matter of fact, when I was playing around with a really old (Sis5598) board I found that I couldn't install the USB D-Link DCM-202 cable modem driver once I had installed the service pack and the 98SE2ME. It wouldn't do it automatically after pointing out where the drivers were, as it kept telling me it couldn't find a driver there for it. When I tried forcing them on, at the point where it told me to choose the device for it it had a blank box instead of a list of devices! I couldn't proceed further, as it would pop up a message telling me that I must choose a device first. But, it wouldn't list any!

If I install the driver before the service pack and 98SE2ME modifications, it installs fine. However it loses the driver after applying the service pack! But, in this case, I can update driver and, after pointing it to the right place, it will find all the correct stuff. It looks as though this particular driver at least must be installed early, before the service packs. Then, even though it loses it, it will find it again with a little help!

The only reason I waited the first time was I accessed the internet through dialup first. Since I didn't have an available PCI slot on the old board I was trying to see if I could stand the dialup speed. Yuuch! I couldn't take it any longer. (I've got dialup as a backup for when Comcast goes down.) No slot for an ethernet card, but that modem also runs through USB. Driver only installs early, before service pack.

What're the modifications doing to Windows driver installation processes? I mean, these updates (Service Pack, 98SE2ME) should only make things better, right? (And, they do actually. Thanks, thanks, thanks!) But, this is a little bug, isn't it?

Do you think you'll be able to find out why driver stuff is having problems like this after these updates are used? I know it's too tough for me to figure out!

... installed the service pack and the 98SE2ME.

Are you able to specify if the problem is with the service pack or with 98SE2ME?

These packages have different authors so it is necessary to know who should try to sollve your problem.

AFAIK there si nothing in the service pack what could cause the behavior.

I don't know 98SE2ME so I cannot guess if the cause could be there.

Petr

Installation Guide

...snip...

Installation order:

*1- Install Windows 98 SE (with or without 98lite).

*2- Install IE 6.0 SP1.

3- Install/Update all latest drivers of your hardware.

*4- Install DirectX (9.0c).

*5- Install MS Office.

*6- Install/Use 98lite to remove any features.

7- Close all open programs.

8- Install latest SE SP.

*9- Install critical updates from WindowsUpdate.

*10- Install MDGx's latest 982ME.

*11- Install Maximum-Decim's latest Native USB Drivers.

*12- Install Tihiy's latest Revolutions Pack.

13- Install/Update all latest drivers of your hardware, if you have any problem.

A freshly installed Windows 98 SE is highly recommended. If Windows asks for rebooting on any step, don't accept it. You should reboot only after "Installation is now complete" message.

...snip...

Question: "If Windows asks for rebooting on any step,..."

Does "any step" refer to steps 1 - 13, or step 8 only?

I think it means step 8 only, but just want to be sure as I am new to Unofficial Service Pack.

Thank you,

Lilla

Petr,

I sure wish I knew what caused the problem. All I do know is I can either use the Service Pack and 98SE2ME and do without updating MDAC, or I can update MDAC and do without the Service Pack and 98SE2ME. I choose to do without MDAC updates!

I will however try Maximus's MDAC update whenever he finishes testing and posts it. Perhaps if someone who knows exactly what and in exactly what order the thing should be done I won't get the problem.

I'm certain ZoneAlarm has something to do with it as well. I just don't know when exactly to prevent it from running at startup, except for after installing RealPlayer. Now, that's a definate disable the ethernet and uncheck ZoneAlarm's "run at startup" if ever there was! If I don't do that after installing and running RealPlayer for the first time, Windows is destroyed beyond repair upon restart. Only on 9x/Me, not XP.

Computer bugs are weird.

uestion: "If Windows asks for rebooting on any step,..."

Does "any step" refer to steps 1 - 13, or step 8 only?

I think it means step 8 only, but just want to be sure as I am new to Unofficial Service Pack.

Yes, it's for only step 8. Thanks for the correction.

Heh, heh.  It's kind of tricky to make operating system's happy , eh?

As a matter of fact, when I was playing around with a really old (Sis5598) board I found that I couldn't install the USB D-Link DCM-202 cable modem driver once I had installed the service pack and the 98SE2ME.  It wouldn't do it automatically after pointing out where the drivers were, as it kept telling me it couldn't find a driver there for it.  When I tried forcing them on, at the point where it told me to choose the device for it it had a blank box instead of a list of devices!  I couldn't proceed further, as it would pop up a message telling me that I must choose a device first.  But, it wouldn't list any!

If I install the driver before the service pack and 98SE2ME modifications, it installs fine.  However it loses the driver after applying the service pack!  But, in this case, I can update driver and, after pointing it to the right place, it will find all the correct stuff.  It looks as though this particular driver at least must be installed early, before the service packs.  Then, even though it loses it, it will find it again with a little help!

The only reason I waited the first time was I accessed the internet through dialup first.  Since I didn't have an available PCI slot on the old board I was trying to see if I could stand the dialup speed.  Yuuch!  I couldn't take it any longer.  (I've got dialup as a backup for when Comcast goes down.)  No slot for an ethernet card, but that modem also runs through USB.  Driver only installs early, before service pack.

What're the modifications doing to Windows driver installation processes?  I mean, these updates (Service Pack, 98SE2ME) should only make things better, right?  (And, they do actually.  Thanks, thanks, thanks!)  But, this is a little bug, isn't it?

Do you think you'll be able to find out why driver stuff is having problems like this after these updates are used?  I know it's too tough for me to figure out!

I can't say anything about SP 2.0, best to ask Gape, its author.

As far as 98SE2ME is concerned:

I'm the person to ask, and the forum is here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

For starters, I need more details from you, to narrow down the issue to a particular installation/change/etc you've made to your OS.

Please try this:

1. if u kept a backup of your 98SE OS from before installing 98se2me, restore it.

98se2me prompts u to back up your OS into C:\W98SEOLD before installing any system files from WinME.

If u don't have such backup, I'm afraid the only way is to reinstall 98SE fresh, eventually in a new directory [rename the old one from a boot disk/floppy/native MS-DOS if u don't want to install into another directory].

2. install your cable modem driver.

3. see if your cable modem driver works.

4. if your cable modem driver works, install 98se2me.

5. check your modem driver again.

6. if it doesn't work anymore, please post in this forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

a detailed bug report, containing everything you think appropriate/relevant so I can "disect"/reproduce it if possible, and try to pinpoint the problem, if it is related in any way to 98se2me.

Hope this helps.

Confused or angry? :(

You should look at the first post for the latest version of the installation guide. Based on users' experience, I try to improve the installation guide. For example, after bizzybody's comment, I deleted "hotfixed" word.

roger that, thanks for clearing that up :) err.. confused.. sry if it sounded differently -

I'm about to install Unofficial Win98SE SP 2.0.1 over my exisiting install.

Please let me know if my procedure as described below is OK.

To assure that my Antivirus, Firewall, etc. do not interfere,

I plan to do a "clean boot" as outlined below before installing the SP.

Run MSCONFIG.exe,

choose "Selective Startup" mode

uncheck ALL boxes under "Selective Startup"

Click Apply, OK

Restart the computer

then install the Unofficial Service Pack.

When done,

Run MSCONFIG.exe

choose "Normal Startup" mode

Click Apply, OK

Restart the computer

---

Thank you,

Lilla

Lilla,

I don't know if the programmers are gonna get back to you but I'll give you my 2 cents.

I'd rather not mess with msconfig, as that's one of the things updated.

I've taken to disabling the Ethernet card in Device Manager, telling ZoneAlarm not to load on startup, and unchecking all the options in McAfee VirusScan. Then I reboot and use the Close Program box (ctrl-alt-delete) to close out the rest except for Explorer and Systray.

Works for me!