2.0 RC1

Gape

All, I've not released RC2 yet, I'm sorry about that. (I have some exams at school). I follow all your posts, and try to fix all these problems. Hopefully, RC2 will be very stable, and I hope I'll release it asap. Thanks for your patience.

i guess the vmm32.vxd problems do happen when installing sp2rc1 from a different drive.  hopefully Gape will fix this in RC2 or whatever release before the final one.

so to make sp2rc1 work under win98se copy the SP2 RC1 pack onto the hard drive that has Win98se installed (if W98SE is on C: drive run sp2rc1 on C drive only; if W98se is on a different drive or partition like D: drive, run sp2rc1 on D drive or the partition that has the W98se OS).

good luck on the exams Gape. be sure to include Q246615/Q246817 W98se patch FixItMad got. don't include the 891711 Win98 update which was released yesterday at Windows update. it has KB891711.EXE & Q891711.DLL files and MDGx told me kb891711.exe (which was featured from the patch) hung his Win98se system. Those two files are stored in the 'Windows\System\kb891711'

folder. I have to test the Win98 kb891711 patch on my old Win98se to be sure the patch doesn't cause lockups.

I have to say this forum is great! Yes Gape, good luck with your exams. I have a general question though. I am assuming it is normal that Microsoft is telling me I have new updates after loading the SP1 program? (Aside from the newest news about Microsoft continuing support for Windows98se users until 2007? and yesterdays posting of two new Hot Fixes for issues with Icons and IE?)

I noticed that after I had updated my laptop I used the Update page and Microsoft said I had 8 items to update. My question I guess is will the newer Service Packs include these with it? :blink:

You know what, you can forgot answering this. I should not have wrote this. Apparantly I'm way too tired to think straight. Duhhhh..

Gape,

When time permits is it possible to add this niffty little util that corrects the Icon Layout problem we sometimes encounter? Occasionally windows will lose the Icon layout and I found out about this web site that has Helped a Lot.

---> http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

:thumbup

This little program is a great tool for any Windows 98se users. It is called Icon-restore. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before so I apologize if I'm repeating anyone. By right-clicking your Trash Can, My Computer, etc you can select | Save Icon Layout | Restore Icon Layout.

If you haven't checked it out, do it soon!

:w00t:

Hi Gape,

1st, wish you do well all in your exam. :thumbup

2nd, since I don have any solution to fix the little bug(bugs) in the 20rC1. I'm trhinking to uninstall it at the moment. Hopefully rc2 will fix the bug in future.

The bug I mentioned at the other post, since SMC didn't reply me when I requested for an instruction for an instruction how to manual install my bluetooth device. I guess they didn't bother to answer as I proberly the only one encountered such problems. :realmad: Also another driver that I installed, sometimes it cause my PC hang but not sure if cause by 20rc1. :wacko:

Oh yeah..I also encounter a 'blue' screen sometimes. I hit 'esc' or 'enter', sometime win98se will continue and sometime don, sort reset as a result. I didn't noted down thr error no. Also, to me it's unknow cause by what...

Just want to know; if I uninstall the 20rc1, what is the chance that I can restore back to origin 98SE? :huh:

Thx.

Hi Gape,

1st, wish you do well all in your exam.  :thumbup

2nd, since I don have any solution to fix the little bug(bugs) in the 20rC1. I'm trhinking to uninstall it at the moment. Hopefully rc2 will fix the bug in future.

The bug I mentioned at the other post, since SMC didn't reply me when I requested for an instruction for an instruction how to manual install my bluetooth device. I guess they didn't bother to answer as I proberly the only one encountered such problems. :realmad:  Also another driver that I installed, sometimes it cause my PC hang but not sure if cause by 20rc1. :wacko:

Oh yeah..I also encounter a 'blue' screen sometimes. I hit 'esc' or 'enter', sometime win98se will continue and sometime don, sort reset as a result. I didn't noted down thr error no. Also, to me it's unknow cause by what...

Just want to know; if I uninstall the 20rc1, what is the chance that I can restore back to origin 98SE? :huh:

Thx.

simon109s, removing 20rc1 shouldn't be a problem and the chances of getting back W98se to its orginal state should be good.

By the way, Bluetooth devices are NOT supported under 98se (they don't work). You'll need Windows XP with SP2 to use bluetooth devices.

erpdude, it's possible that sometime in near future that may change, as alot of pressure is being brought to bear for backwards compatability :)

nope. sorry randiroo76073. some bluetooth devices made now aren't going to be compatible with Win98/ME and they're not going to bother to make it "backward compatible", especially bluetooth devices made by Microsoft. MS Bluetooth products require XP SP1 (Sp2 is optional) as noted in MS kb article 811807.

however bluetooth devices made by companies other than Microsoft like the 3Com Wireless Bluetooth USB Adapter [3CREB96B] can be used under W98se, 2k, ME & XP as noted on the hardware's system requirements specs.

so i recommend using non-microsoft bluetooth hardware.

Hi erpdude8,

My bluetooth device is made by SMC and they claimed it will work under win98SE. SMC is not a small company and unlikely they'll buff me.

There are some uncertain condidtion that won't allow other drivers to install or drivers won't reconize. Gape mentioned some drivers chk the win98SE krnell and found it uncompatible due to patched. :angry:

I don know how to work around, so for me the easy way is to uninstall the 20rc1 and try again to see if the drivers can be installed. :}

Thx.

i guess the vmm32.vxd problems do happen when installing sp2rc1 from a different drive.  hopefully Gape will fix this in RC2 or whatever release before the final one.

so to make sp2rc1 work under win98se copy the SP2 RC1 pack onto the hard drive that has Win98se installed (if W98SE is on C: drive run sp2rc1 on C drive only; if W98se is on a different drive or partition like D: drive, run sp2rc1 on D drive or the partition that has the W98se OS).

good luck on the exams Gape. be sure to include Q246615/Q246817 W98se patch FixItMad got. don't include the 891711 Win98 update which was released yesterday at Windows update. it has KB891711.EXE & Q891711.DLL files and MDGx told me kb891711.exe (which was featured from the patch) hung his Win98se system. Those two files are stored in the 'Windows\System\kb891711'

folder. I have to test the Win98 kb891711 patch on my old Win98se to be sure the patch doesn't cause lockups.

Yeah i updated win98se with kb891711 and it locked my pc....but not right after bootup but just few minutes later...i have never seen such thing :blink: this is strange as the patch is intended for win98se...is ms tryin to stop users to use win98 :whistle::blink::)

Yeah i updated win98se with kb891711 and it locked my pc....but not right after bootup but just few minutes later...i have never seen such thing :blink: this is strange as the patch is intended for win98se...is ms tryin to stop users to use win98 :whistle::blink::)

kb891711 is an .exe that has run continously since I installed it when back when it was released. my process list shows it using 1 thread. I think my kernel32.dll used to have 5 threads but I'm not sure. now it has 4 threads. I don't know if this means anything...