2.0 RC1

Gape

Um, I'll let Gape answer your question.  I'm still not comfortable in mixing system files with different languages.  Gape might have a better response than what I have.

In general, mixing DLL files with different languages is not a problem. But, SP (and some hot-fixes) is not just DLL files. It has some registry settings, some directory locations and some other files (VXD/SYS etc.) that can cause problems on different languages.

In general, mixing DLL files with different languages is not a problem. But, SP (and some hot-fixes) is not just DLL files. It has some registry settings, some directory locations and some other files (VXD/SYS etc.) that can cause problems on different languages.

I've installed it on a Hungarian Win98SE, so far no compatible problems.

The only difference is that after installing SP, it overwrites the "desktop", and the "start menu". In other words it creates a new english folder instead of the old local (hungarian) folders. But I simply copied the shortcuts from the old folders to the new ones, and now everything is fine. And of course several menu changed from local to english language but its also normal.

But unfortunetly the general USB driver doesnt work :(

Could be the language difference the cause?

What can be the solution for a working driver?

The errror was the following:

After installed the SP I've started my PC with inserted USB device.

Win98 recognised the "USB Mass Storage Driver" and installed it correctly, afterwards it recognised the "USB Mass Storage Device" and it frooze.

After 10 minutes still no change only the installing the usb mass storage device sign. In the Task Manager no response on installing new hardware.

Please if anyone know a solution tell me, I will be grateful :)

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay or lack of responses. I've been very busy and then I had to get my password reset because I misplaced my information. ( I know.... Lame). Anyway, I have those two files from Microsoft and I can sent them to you. I originally emailed them to alper@wolke7.net. So I assume this email is correct?

Please let me know. I'll stay online for awhile while I'm at work.

Thanks. :)

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay or lack of responses. I've been very busy and then I had to get my password reset because I misplaced my information. ( I know....  Lame).  Anyway, I have those two files from Microsoft and I can sent them to you.  I originally emailed them to alper@wolke7.net. So I assume this email is correct?

Thanks.  :)

Yes, it's correct. I got your emails.

Thanks.

I have a strange question regarding the complete and utter removal of IE 4 from Windows 98se. I had to email Symantec to find out why Norton Anti-Virus Professional 2002 would not show the "normal" screens. Apparantly symantec needs something from IE inorder for the Anti-Virus screens to show? Does anyone know what these "files" are that Norton Anti-virus Professional needs? Symantec was not forthcoming in regards to this, just that I "need" to have Internet Explorer installed on my PC "before" I installed the NAV Pro 2002 version.

Is there a way to get Norton to work without putting IE on my PC? I prefer Netscape and the new Firefox.

Thanks. :angry:

FixitMad, that way OT :P , however if its a dll etc it wants, you can use "dependency walker" from M$ to find what it is trying to load. You probably have it somewhere, but you can download it here: http://www.dependencywalker.com/. Open NAVPs main executable in it and profile (if necassary), that will tell you anything it tries to open and fails.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay or lack of responses. I've been very busy and then I had to get my password reset because I misplaced my information. ( I know....  Lame).  Anyway, I have those two files from Microsoft and I can sent them to you.  I originally emailed them to alper@wolke7.net. So I assume this email is correct?

Thanks.  :)

that's understandable, FixitMad. so have you gotten the Q246615 patch from Microsoft? if so, can you email it to me. Click on my username to send me email.

I only need that one.

Off the top, I have an investment data subscription site that wants us to use Sun only-- likely to avoid spending time w/ tech support issues-- funny because  I remember 3-5 years ago only MS Java worked at that same site.

Broadband Reports seems to favor Sun: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5160

follow up on MS Java and Sun Java: the Yahoo! Games web site can work with either MS Java VM or Sun Java plugin. Either one is required to play online games at Yahoo Games. see this help page on installing or enabling Java:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/games/games-09.html

Just tried SP2RC1 on a clean install and Windows would not boot - VMM32.VXD was missing from the windows system directory!  Scanning this forum didn't reveal anything on this - any clues/suggestions? (don't want to either put all required vxd's in system dir; rebuild vmm32 or replace with saved version prior to sp install).

Same thing happened to me. Reinstalled windows and it happened again. I copied vmm32.vxd to a different location, ran the installer, when it asked if I wanted to restart my computer I chose not to. vmm32.vxd was now gone from the system folder. before restarting i moved the copied vmm32.vxd into the system folder. this time it worked fine. i'm not sure if everthing installed correctly though.

could launching SP2RC1 from a different drive than the one windows is installed in cause this problem?

what information can I give that would be helpful in solving this problem?

But unfortunetly the general USB driver doesnt work  :(

Could be the language difference the cause?

What can be the solution for a working driver?

The errror was the following:

After installed the SP I've started my PC with inserted USB device.

Win98 recognised the "USB Mass Storage Driver" and installed it correctly, afterwards it recognised the "USB Mass Storage Device" and it frooze.

After 10 minutes still no change only the installing the usb mass storage device sign. In the Task Manager no response on installing new hardware.

Please if anyone know a solution tell me, I will be grateful :)

Same problem to me. Some USB Sticks work some don't (and freeze after installing them with "USB Mass Storage Driver") :(

Any solution?