2.0 RC1

Gape

so far it worked ok on my HP computer with WinME. I have yet

to try it out on my neighbor's Compudyne PC with Win98fe.

I will try out the updated hhupd.exe pack there later in the week

since it has been pouring out here in LA. bad rainy weather.

mdgx, if you need the Q192425 patch ask Gape. I gave it to him.

Gape:

Install is on a real machine - separate bootable partition (my "test bed").

Boots to dos command prompt with the following message:

"VMM32.VXD is required to run Windows. If this file is not in your PATH you may need to reinstall Windows". (Note: system path is the deault Windows sets up during install - c:\windows;c:\windows\command)

VMM32.VXD does not exist within my copy of your sp; either in the main file SP20RC1.EXE file or the SP2.CAB file. A VMM.VXD does exist in the SUPP.CAB file. I extracted this file and used it just to see - tried various combinations (including your suggestion) - directories and renaming it to vmm32.vxd - no success - error message at dos prompt "Quit one or more applications to increase ....". Cannot boot in safe made either unsurprisingly.

My copy of sp downloaded from MDGx site on 15 Feb 2005 - could not get it from Softpedia.

Curious :blink: mmmmm.....

Your version which you downloaded, did it come up with any crc errors while extracting? Mine did, I downloaded both from MDGX's mirror, and softpedia's mirror, but they both gave me crc errors... Remedy:

either try this link:

http://download.betanews.com/download/1083...0/sesp20rc1.exe

or try this if you can't get the file from that link directly:

1) Go to www.filemirrors.com

2) Search "sesp" (without the "")

3) Download from the 2nd betanews mirror

this one does not have crc errors (i verified that fact by extracting the files with winrar)

I hope this solve's your problem B)

MDGX your site rocks!! I've been a fan ever since it was still hosted over at AOL!!! :thumbup But just one suggestion, which I'm sure would make a great addition to your site, could you also host a batch programming tutorial on your site? Cause I don't understand diddly squat when it comes to batch files...

in your killer replacements guide you tell us to install the media player updates and the windows xp sp2 files in conjunction with our me file replacements, does the 982me program automatically install these files? or should we install them manually? Thanks in advanced...

Gape this project you're working on rocks :thumbup (sesp I mean) keep up the good work!! When will the final version be out? (I know this kind of question starts to get old after a while, right...)

Just a minor note, I used to have problems with the 1.6.2 version of the service pack cause of the 512 mb ram fix, had to change the setting to 256 (i think that it was in the win.ini or system.ini can't remeber) cause it was slowing down the computer... I only have 256megs of RAM... Did you fix that problem in any of the versions that followed the 1.6.2 version of the service pack? I haven't installed the 2.0 rc1 version yet to know...

StateS:

There was no download integrity problems (crc). I was able to run and extract files from this download. I downloaded the sp from the site you gave anyway and the exact same issues apply. Thanks for trying :)

About batch programming please check:

MDGx DOS Secrets: "www.mdgx.com/secrets.htm" for links to this subject.

This is a pretty good site:

Rob van der Woude's Scripting Pages: http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html

Hope this helps.

cheers :)

Gape:

Install is on a real machine - separate bootable partition (my "test bed").

Boots to dos command prompt with the following message:

"VMM32.VXD is required to run Windows. If this file is not in your PATH you may need to reinstall Windows". (Note: system path is the deault Windows sets up during install - c:\windows;c:\windows\command)

VMM32.VXD does not exist within my copy of your sp; either in the main file SP20RC1.EXE file or the SP2.CAB file. A VMM.VXD does exist in the SUPP.CAB file. I extracted this file and used it just to see - tried various combinations (including your suggestion) - directories and renaming it to vmm32.vxd - no success - error message at dos prompt "Quit one or more applications to increase ....". Cannot boot in safe made either unsurprisingly.

My copy of sp downloaded from MDGx site on 15 Feb 2005 - could not get it from Softpedia.

Curious  :blink: mmmmm.....

I think you'll have to re-install Win98 jaberwock. The vmm32.vxd file gets modified during Win98 setup (not in Unofficial Win98se SP 2.0 setup) so that the vmm32.vxd file can specifically work under your computer.

The vmm.vxd file is far different than the vmm32.vxd file. If the vmm32.vxd file is missing or damaged you'll have to fix it only by re-installing Windows.

MDGX, I've found the disk where I stored the Q192425 win98 patch and Q290831 winme patch. let me know if you need the patches. these will be the last ones I give to you.

I think you'll have to re-install Win98 jaberwock.  The vmm32.vxd file gets modified during Win98 setup (not in Unofficial Win98se SP 2.0 setup) so that the vmm32.vxd file can specifically work under your computer.

The vmm.vxd file is far different than the vmm32.vxd file.  If the vmm32.vxd file is missing or damaged you'll have to fix it only by re-installing Windows.

MDGX, I've found the disk where I stored the Q192425 win98 patch and Q290831 winme patch.  let me know if you need the patches.  these will be the last ones I give to you.

You're right. VMM.VXD is the loader part of the VMM32.VXD. SP has a special installation method for it (RPLCLDR.EXE). But probably it's not related with jaberwock's problem.

I sent Q192425 patch to MDGx.

Gape, since you no longer mention the Q265528 vnetbios.vxd patch on your

Needed Updates list page I wonder if you have this patch. I've tried at

least 3 times requesting the Q265528 hotfix from Microsoft and MS hasn't

given me the patch with their responses.

If you have it, can you send me Q265528 patch?

Sybesma was right. Some of those Microsoft support reps are stupid to

even acknowledge I have problem and I need the patch to fix the problem.

see Sybesma's latest post on 'recommended way to obtain M$ hotfixes'

forum thread.

erpdude8:

Please send me the Q290831 WinME patch. Many thanks in advance.

Gape:

Got the Q192425 patch. Many thanks.

BTW:

I compared SP 2.0 RC1 file from my site with the 1 from BetaNews, they are identical.

And I don't get CRC errors on any.

Must be somebody has an unreliable connection, which may drop packets.

Needed Updates list page I wonder if you have this patch.  I've tried at

I don't have it. Different Microsoft employers said that this patch is only for 98 GOLD (FE). It isn't for 98 SE.

Hi,

I just finished sending you the requested Q246615 patch today and yesterday I sent you the Q192425 patch both from Microsoft. Please let me know if you received the files ok. ( I wanted to vefify the files open ok on your side)

Thanks,

FixitMad. :hello:

Needed Updates list page I wonder if you have this patch.  I've tried at

I don't have it. Different Microsoft employers said that this patch is only for 98 GOLD (FE). It isn't for 98 SE.

Note to MDGx:

Already sent you the WinME Q290831 patch.

Note to Gape:

If the Q265528 is for Win98 FE only, the updated vnetbios.vxd file should be listed

as ver. 4.10.1999 and NOT 4.10.2223. So those MS employers are WRONG in

their assessment and WRONG in the MS article.

SO I think the Q265528 update applies to BOTH Win98 FE AND Win98 SE if the patch

really contains v4.10.2223 of vnetbios.vxd file.

I'm not going to bother getting the Q246615 vpowerd.vxd patch again. I asked for that

patch from MS and I got ripped off. The 'hotfix package' I got didn't have the

actual patch and only the hotfix.txt file. Might as well include that in V2.1 of Win98se SP

(and not in V2.0) if somebody else is brave enough to request the Q246615 patch

from Microsoft.

erpdude8,

I just received the Q246615 patch directly from Microsoft. I used my work email so I'm hoping that is why I received both of the requested files so quickly. Yesterday I noticed their email system was down so I could not request the Q246615 patch. Instead I replied to one of the emails I received from M$ and I got a response today! Hopefully those are the only two files needed. I'm sure M$ will start to wonder how many of these "files" my Company really needs.

FixitMad. :yes: