2.0 RC1

Gape

Hi Gape,

When do you think the 2.0 final will release? I have an old notebook with 48M ram and W98SE on it...98lite and UBDtweaks, too...

Antsy to see if your 'unoffical update' will speed anything up...but sounds like a few additions to the final....

Basically all my machines are W98, etc....I don't have ME so can't try MDGx's 98toME update....

looking to make the pc's as fast as possible....

thx! Jeff

Hello I am interested in making localized (polish) version o SP2.0. If someone is interested too please sign below.

PS. And one qustion for Gape - why don't you update yor home site exuberant.ms11.net ?? :huh::)

frees has got a point in Gape not updating his home site. but he did update his 'Needed Updates' list page.

Note to MDGx. I even tested your hhupd.exe (unofficial HH 1.41 v5.20.3790.1433) pack on my aunt's Hyperdata laptop with Win98 FE and got error message 'INF Install Failure: Reason: The INF File was not found'. I even got that same message on my neighbor's Compudyne PC (Intel P75mhz w/ 64 megs of RAM using Win98FE) and on my old NEC computer (P100mhz with 32 megs of RAM using Win98 SE). I think the HH installer tried to install the files but forgot to check first that the files were extracted to the temp folder.

Gape, forget about the vpowerd.vxd 4.10.2225 update. I requested the Q246615 hotfix several days ago but the so-called hotifx package was a FRAUD! MS only included the hotfix.txt file and not the actual 246615up.exe file! Dont know why. So you should remove Q246615 off your Needed Updates list.

I do have Q192425 rnr20.dll patch, Gape. requested it a few days ago and installed it onto my NEC machine with Win98se. Email me if you want it.

Hi Gape,

When do you think the 2.0 final will release? I have an old notebook with 48M ram and W98SE on it...98lite and UBDtweaks, too...

Antsy to see if your 'unoffical update' will speed anything up...but sounds like a few additions to the final....

Basically all my machines are W98, etc....I don't have ME so can't try MDGx's 98toME update....

looking to make the pc's as fast as possible....

thx! Jeff

How fast is your old notebook, jasinwa? I mean what's the CPU and CPU speed of your notebook computer?

Final release of 2.0 may be delayed because Gape and others are trying to add newer files onto there. The more Win98se hotfixes that are added onto 2.0 the longer it will be delayed.

How fast is your old notebook, jasinwa?  I mean what's the CPU and CPU speed of your notebook computer?

Final release of 2.0 may be delayed because Gape and others are trying to add newer files onto there.  The more Win98se hotfixes that are added onto 2.0 the longer it will be delayed.

hehehehe...it's a speed demon @ P75 with 48M RAM !!!

:whistle:

It actually runs OK as a backup to my backup at home...also with 98Lite and UBDtweaks....

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I wanted to find out if everyone is/was aware that Microsoft has the ability to download "all patches" for Windows 98 + to a directory on your hard-drive. I've been doing the downloads for quite some time and I noticed from some previous responses that Microsoft has not been sending the exe file associated with a Hotfix request.

I can check my archive CD's that I made to see if a particular Hotfix was downloaded. I have noticed that Microsoft recently will not download some older patches/fixes with the download all command.

I am Very Happy that someone is still working on Windows 98se. I was amazed to see the Unoffical Windows 98se SP1. This service pack runs great.

:D

whatever recent hotfixes I requested from MS are not added to Gape's SP v2.0 rc1, rc2 or final, just include them in SP v2.01 or v2.1.  He might want to include the dispex.dll file (5.6.0.8825) from the W2k/XP version of WSH 5.6.8825 addon.

I believe the W98/ME/NT4 version of MS's WSH 5.6.8825 addon has dispex.dll file version 5.6.0.6626 (which is wrong) instead of the newer one.

what do you think MDGx?  should gape put dispex.dll file v5.6.0.8825 in SP 2.0 instead of dispex.dll file v5.6.0.6626?

Eh, I take it back in the inclusion of dispex.dll file version 5.6.0.8825.

When I used this version and I try to print something in Internet Explorer, I get a scripting error message and the Print dialog box will not show up. darn.

Restored dispex.dll file to version 5.6.0.6626 and the Print & Print Preview IE functions started working again. Dispex.dll file v5.6.0.8825 is for Win2000, XP & 2003 systems only and won't work well under Win9x, ME & NT4 systems.

so let's just stick with the dispex.dll file (5.6.0.6626) that won't break IE's Print and Print Preview features on Win9x/ME/NT4.

Just tried SP2RC1 on a clean install and Windows would not boot - VMM32.VXD was missing from the windows system directory! Scanning this forum didn't reveal anything on this - any clues/suggestions? (don't want to either put all required vxd's in system dir; rebuild vmm32 or replace with saved version prior to sp install).

By the way - my appreciation to Gape (and others who help him) for this sp. I only recently stumbled across Gape's site and this forum. To find an integrated sp for se is a wonderfull find.

I have been installing/reinstalling/tweaking/breaking/.. my 98se system for years and have always patched/updated manually (ie downloading patches, archiving to cd-rom and install each manually). Actually I keep archived system images at different stages of system builds so I can reduce time & effort whem I'm playing/testing/breaking/yelling at my system.

Gape, I've had a look and I don't have/didn't keep those missing patches your looking for. sorry mate.

PS. Hi MDGx. I saw you posting in this forum and I would like to say you have a fantastic tweak/info site. In my years I have seen/read/investigated many, many tweak sites. I have an old system (ppro 200mhz 96mb 440fx) and always looking for ways to improve system performance. I run multi boot systems optimised in different ways for different major tasks. I'm currently investigating an optimisation set for video playback (newer codecs, directx in an old system don't mix very well)

Anyway, cheers.

:wacko: VMM32.VXD problem is interesting. I'll fix it, if it is a bug. Clean install on a real machine or on VMWare/VirtualPC? Can you write the exact error message?

You should try that: In the SP's setup EXE, there is a SP2.CAB file, and it has VMM32.VXD. Extract it, and copy it as VMM.VXD into your installation (SYSTEM\VMM32 directory).

Note to MDGx. I even tested your hhupd.exe (unofficial HH 1.41 v5.20.3790.1433) pack on my aunt's Hyperdata laptop with Win98 FE and got error message 'INF Install Failure: Reason: The INF File was not found'. I even got that same message on my neighbor's Compudyne PC (Intel P75mhz w/ 64 megs of RAM using Win98FE) and on my old NEC computer (P100mhz with 32 megs of RAM using Win98 SE). I think the HH installer tried to install the files but forgot to check first that the files were extracted to the temp folder.
I have revised HHUPD.EXE to avoid "file not found" error on slower PCs.

Here is the new batch file [HH.BAT]:

@ECHO OFF

VER | FIND.EXE/I "Windows">NUL

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO NO!

VER | FIND.EXE/I "Windows 95">NUL

IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO NO!

IF Windows_NT == %OS% GOTO NTX

IF EXIST %windir%\INF\*.INF DIR/-P %windir%\INF\*.INF>NUL

START/W RUNDLL32.EXE ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection HH.INF,DefaultInstall

GOTO NO!

:NTX

IF EXIST %windir%\INF\*.INF DIR/-P %windir%\INF\*.INF>NUL

START/W RUNDLL32.EXE ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection HH.INF,NTx

:NO!

CLS

EXIT

All necessary files: ADVPACK.DLL, EXTRAC32.EXE, REGSVR32.EXE, START.EXE, W95INF16.DLL + W95INF32.DLL are contained into HHUPD.EXE.

I didn't add RUNDLL32.EXE because it exists on all Win32 systems.

Please d/l HTML Help Update [677 KB]:

http://ftp.mdgx.com/files/HHUPD.EXE

Please let me know if it works ok.