2.0 RC1

Gape

Horsecharles,

Flamish is same as Dutch (officialy). But yes, there is Dutch(Netherlands) and Dutch(Belgium) in the Windows'languages.

Poeple will instinctively clic on their native country, but these differences are stupid since the alphabets are rigorousely the same.

Ok, I have downloaded and installed the french update pack: 2.0RC1b

It was not the language! :blink: + When I ran the install, I got dozen of warning reading "the language of this file is no that of w98 (or something of that effect) - do you want to keep the file (recommanded)" and "Your language: English U.S." :w00t:

Now, I remember, I have an english version with a french character set, but the messages boxes are in english.

So, not only the english pack was the one I had to use, but now I have a system that talk to me one time in english, one time in french, depending if the file the message is from was replaced or not.

Also my computer didn't freeze because of a language missmatch.

A program called mps.exe (that I always had on my machine since day 1) is the cause.

This is the data of the start up task displayed in CodeStuff Starter:

[mps] [C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mps.exe /s] [Registry - Machine Run]

I don't know what this exe file is for. I think it's CPU monitoring utility that slow down the processor (to save power or whatever) when there is no demand for cpu usage. I'm not sure, :} but I think it's that. Before the upgrade, when I disabled this program, CodeStuff Starter displayed the CPU usage correctly, when msp.exe ran, it showed always 100%.

Now I'm obliged to disable it...

I'm amlost sure that this mps.exe come from the motherboard installation. I should check this out seriousely.

I don't see why a troyan would freeze my PC after messing up with SP2.0.

Two confronting utilities doing the same job, mps and some SP2.0 tweak, could do that. Makes sens to me.

New question: is there a CPU tweak included in the SP 2.0RC1b?

Gape:

Updated unofficial Windows NT4/98/ME HTML Help v1.41 [673 KB, English]:

HHSETUP.DLL, ITIRCL.DLL, ITSS.DLL, HH.EXE + HHCTRL.OCX Update build 5.2.3790.1433 from Windows 2003 SP1 RC2.

Maybe you would like to include them in SP 2.0 RC2 or final.

I've tested these files on my system with 98SE, ME + XP SP2 and they work great.

FYI:

How to install HTML Help 1.41 on Windows ME:

1. You MUST disable System Restore: open Control Panel -> System -> Performance Tab -> File System -> Troubleshooting area -> check the "Disable System Restore" box -> click OK -> reboot.

2. Download + install CoolKill [797 KB, freeware]:

http://www.prowebsitemanagement.com/downloads/coolkill.zip

3. Run COOLKILL.EXE -> right-click on the CoolKill icon in Taskbar Tray -> highlight STMGR.EXE -> left-click on it to terminate this process.

4. Download + install HHUPD.EXE (see above).

5. You may want to reenable System Restore: open Control Panel -> System -> Performance Tab -> File System -> Troubleshooting area -> uncheck the "Disable System Restore" box -> click OK -> reboot.

this is a nice alternative than installing the 890175 hhctrl.ocx MS05-001 security updates, which have side effects. the unofficial HTML Help 1.41 pack Mdgx created doesn't have those side effects.

and speaking of MS security updates, Microsoft unleashed a major thunderstorm of security updates on Tuesday, February 8. I have to spend time downloading a lot of updates for my brother's XP home edition machine.

Note to Gape: be sure to update your 'Needed Updates' list at the exuberant software web site when you have time. Changes I mention next paragraph:

remove Q243220 rpcltccm.dll patch as you have already included it in the latest 2.0 RC. I did request the Q246615 vpowerd.vxd patch but the 'hotfix package' MS sent me a few days ago was a ripoff! The hotfix pack didn't even include the actual vpowerd.vxd patch and only the hotfix.txt file. You could try requesting the Q246817 patch but I don't know if it'll be in english or japanese because MS article 246817 says it is for japanese version. So you might want to remove vpowerd.vxd off the Needed Updates list. Also can you add the Q240896 opengl32.dll patch, the Q242941 serenum.vxd patch and Q319571 keyb.com patch on the Needed Updates list. I may try to obtain some or all of these from MS.

erpdude8:

Also can you add the Q240896 opengl32.dll patch

The Opengl32.dll patch is not actually necessary for 98SE, you can use the newer 1 from WinME instead, which has been fixed:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=240896

Opengl32.dll from WinME installs as part of 98SE2ME:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=37302

If u want to install it yourself from WinME Setup CD:

pop in your CD [letter D used here, change if necessary], and then run this as batch file [saved in Notepad]:

-------cut+paste-------

@ECHO OFF

D:

CD\WIN9X

EXTRACT WIN_14.CAB /Y /L %windir%\SYSTEM OPENGL32.DLL

EXTRACT WIN_11.CAB /Y /L %windir%\SYSTEM GLU32.DLL

CLS

EXIT

-------cut+paste-------

thanks MDGx.

if you view the file version details of opengl32.dll in WinME Explorer it has

version 4.0.1381.4. guess it's best to use that one.

your unofficial HH 1.41 package worked ok though I ran to some problems. When I ran this on some of my machines I got some error messages. You may want to add a 'time delay' to your pack to ensure that ALL the files are properly extracted to a temp folder, meaning the pack should check first if all the files have been extracted and if they are not the pack should wait first, and when all the files have been extracted, then the pack should install them.

thanks MDGx.

version 4.0.1381.4.  guess it's best to use that one.

your unofficial HH 1.41 package worked ok though I ran to some problems.  When I ran this on some of my machines I got some error messages.  You may want to add a 'time delay' to your pack to ensure that ALL the files are properly extracted to a temp folder, meaning the pack should check first if all the files have been extracted and if they are not the pack should wait first, and when all the files have been extracted, then the pack should install them.

The error message I got in one PC (intel pentium 1 -75mhz- with 64 megs of RAM) is that it could not find the INF file. I think your html help pack tried to run the hh.bat file but the hh.inf file was not really extracted yet. You need to give it some time (like a few seconds) to check whether or not all the files from the HH pack are properly extracted and then let the pack run the hh.bat file.

whatever recent hotfixes I requested from MS are not added to Gape's SP v2.0 rc1, rc2 or final, just include them in SP v2.01 or v2.1. He might want to include the dispex.dll file (5.6.0.8825) from the W2k/XP version of WSH 5.6.8825 addon.

I believe the W98/ME/NT4 version of MS's WSH 5.6.8825 addon has dispex.dll file version 5.6.0.6626 (which is wrong) instead of the newer one.

what do you think MDGx? should gape put dispex.dll file v5.6.0.8825 in SP 2.0 instead of dispex.dll file v5.6.0.6626?

thanks MDGx.

version 4.0.1381.4.  guess it's best to use that one.

your unofficial HH 1.41 package worked ok though I ran to some problems.  When I ran this on some of my machines I got some error messages.  You may want to add a 'time delay' to your pack to ensure that ALL the files are properly extracted to a temp folder, meaning the pack should check first if all the files have been extracted and if they are not the pack should wait first, and when all the files have been extracted, then the pack should install them.

The error message I got in one PC (intel pentium 1 -75mhz- with 64 megs of RAM) is that it could not find the INF file. I think your html help pack tried to run the hh.bat file but the hh.inf file was not really extracted yet. You need to give it some time (like a few seconds) to check whether or not all the files from the HH pack are properly extracted and then let the pack run the hh.bat file.

whatever recent hotfixes I requested from MS are not added to Gape's SP v2.0 rc1, rc2 or final, just include them in SP v2.01 or v2.1. He might want to include the dispex.dll file (5.6.0.8825) from the W2k/XP version of WSH 5.6.8825 addon.

I believe the W98/ME/NT4 version of MS's WSH 5.6.8825 addon has dispex.dll file version 5.6.0.6626 (which is wrong) instead of the newer one.

what do you think MDGx? should gape put dispex.dll file v5.6.0.8825 in SP 2.0 instead of dispex.dll file v5.6.0.6626?

I'll get soon on HHUPD.EXE and see why those install errors happen. I've tried it on my 98SE system and worked ok.

I think it's a good idea to use the newer dispex.dll, I'm using it since the day MS relased it [installed it also on a friend's PC], and never had problems.

hey mdgx if i were to get that explorer.exe and comdlg.dll and shell32.dll from another windows 98 pc that is setup similar would it fix the find files and folders problem or would it be impossible to do it?

Yes. Or restore them from 98 CD. After repalcing them back, run

regsvr32 shdoc401.dll

regsvr32 shell32.dll

regsvr32 /i /n shdoc401.dll

regsvr32 /i /n shell32.dll

how would i go about doing that?either getting them from a similar setup 98 pc(laptop)or a 98 cd(those files would be older than the one on the laptop)i've already uninstalled option 3,before doing that all worked fine,after i uninstalled option 3 i would be unable to search for files or folders.