2.0 RC1

Gape

I installed the SP2 RC1 on a fresh 98lite chubby install. My install order was as follows:

98lite, chubby

directx 9.0c

drivers (ati catalyst 4.10 for raedon 9600XT, dlink 530 tx rev A)

*optional shell swap to 98lite sleek

SP2 RC1

firefox (posting this with it now)

256 colour tray icons doesnt appear to be working. Used that test util soldier1st link to before. I reverted to an older image with only SP 1.6.2 and the 256 colour tray DID work on it. I also noticed that the reported cipher strength of IE changed from 40-bit to 128-bit after the SP install, but the version number did not change. Win2K desktop icons are gone :( . I checked out the windowsupdate site and two critical patches were listed. One was IE 6 so I know why it wasnt included in the SP. The other was "816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)", and Im just curious why it wasnt included in the SP. Thats all I have to report for 98lite chubby, will try a sleek install next.

256 colour tray icons doesnt appear to be working.  Used that test util soldier1st link to before.  I reverted to an older image with only SP 1.6.2 and the 256 colour tray DID work on it.  I also noticed that the reported cipher strength of IE changed from 40-bit to 128-bit after the SP install, but the version number did not change.  Win2K desktop icons are gone  :( .  I checked out the windowsupdate site and two critical patches were listed.  One was IE 6 so I know why it wasnt included in the SP.  The other was "816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)", and Im just curious why it wasnt included in the SP.  Thats all I have to report for 98lite chubby, will try a sleek install next.

Microsoft VM wasn't included, because it is a big, deprecated and IE-specific update.

Did you try the 2.0 RC1 on a freshly installed Windows 98 SE?

I edited my above post to correct the installation order

Microsoft VM wasn't included, because it is a big, deprecated and IE-specific update.
No further questions then.
Did you try the 2.0 RC1 on a freshly installed Windows 98 SE?

Not yet, that will be next up. Im just trying out sleek now. Nothing abnormal to report with the install of SP2 RC1 on sleek, but as with chubby the 256 colour tray is not working. FYI the older image I have with the 256 colour tray icons working is a 98lite chubby install w/ SP 1.6.2. I will try a plain (sans 98lite) install after I get some sleep.

Not yet, that will be next up.  Im just trying out sleek now.  Nothing abnormal to report with the install of SP2 RC1 on sleek, but as with chubby the 256 colour tray is not working.  FYI the older image I have with the 256 colour tray icons working is a 98lite chubby install w/ SP 1.6.2.  I will try a plain (sans 98lite) install after I get some sleep.

Probably this is a known problem, and it will be fixed on the final. Please, write your EXPLORER.EXE version before trying clean install.

Explorer.exe version for 98lite chubby and non-98lite is 4.72.3110.1, and for 98lite sleek the version is 4.00.950. Nothing abnormal to report for the non-98lite install w/ sp2 rc1. 256 colour tray again didnt work.

Adding a couple of suggestions to Killer Replacements, for the Service Pack also:

MDGx: ...CHANGES:

2-5-2005

* Added Copy To, Move To + Send To Windows Explorer, Desktop + Startup Menu right-click context menu options. [suggested by erpdude8]...

I also find very useful Target & Content from the w95 Power & Kernel Toys-- no problems btw on any 98 system, nor even installing after ME shell.... (for those wondering: click any folder/file shortcut/icon on desktop-anywhere, and see a cascading list of contents of its folder, start explorer open to its parent directory, etc.

Speaking of-- how about this one, which I couldn't get to work btw: http://www.pcnineoneone.com/tweaks/scripts7.html

send to quick launch bar(create shortcut)-- not just plain send to, which makes a copy of the app there; & much better than sending to desktop & then dragging down.

About the Microsoft Java VM, standard is an unpatched Java VM included with Windows 98 SE. I think either 98SE SP should provide the user the choice to remove the Java VM, or update it to the latest version.

Microsoft VM wasn't included, because it is a big, deprecated and IE-specific update. Microsoft will no longer install MSVM on my machine, it seems to have been abandoned. I have had to install Sun Java instead.

If you try to reinstall it you are taken to a Microsoft page saying it is no longer supported and suggesting you do Sun Java instead from now on