disabling indexing service reg question....

zup peeps,

I usually disable the indexing serive by going into the properties of my C:\ drive and unchecking "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching".

When I run the following reg key, the check is still there but the service is disabled (which is what is supposed to do! :))

;Disable Indexing Service

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cisvc]

"Start"=dword:00000004

Do I still have to manually uncheck it?

Thanks

ceez

:thumbup

ONE MORE THING!

So I dont create a 2nd post, what is the different between a reg entry that says

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?

&

HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

thkz again!

If you set indexsrv_system=off in the [Components] section of your WINNT.SIF or UNATTEND.TXT it will never turn on.

Then you won't have to worry about disabling it manually or with .reg files.

To answer your question specifically, you will not need to uncheck the box if the service is actually disabled, though that is not the cleanest way of doing things.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE are PC or SERVER specific settings and entries.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER are settings that pertain to the current logged on user.

Hope this helps.

So dont do the reg file, instead winnt.sif?!? correct? This way it will boot up without the check mark?

in regards to the HKEY's

So If I want to make all my reg entries global to all the users that are logged into the pc then I should use HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Should I change all of my regtweaks to display HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ?

ie:

If I want to disable balloon tips for every user ever created in XP then the following key would not work cause' it's using CURRENT USER and not LOCAL MACHINE?

;Disable Balloon Tips

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000

Are some reg entries specific to only CURRENT USER or will chaging them affect them and not work?

thkz again,

ceez

No, you cannot just change all your HKCU entries to HKLM and expect them to work for all users.

The way to do it is to apply all your HKCU entries at the T13 minute stage of the UA setup, and it will apply the settings to all future users.

You can also ignore the winnt.sif advice regarding indexsrv_system=off, unless you are using Windows 2003. The reason being that this service is off by default for Windows XP, and therefore not required.

If you're sure that the service hasn't been installed, i.e by checking the following:

1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs.

2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.

3. If there clear the Indexing Service check box to remove the Indexing Service and complete the Windows Components Wizard by following the instructions on the screen.

4. Try applying this registry entry in future

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Oc Manager\Subcomponents]
"indexsrv_system"=dword:00000000

to see if that works.

I believe indexsrv_system has nothing to do with the standard Indexing Service, because:

• We all know the Indexing Service is on in XP, even though ref.chm says that indexsrv_system=off by default.
  • ref.chm says that indexsrv_system depends on iss_common, iss_inetmgr and iss_www. These are all part of IIS, which is not installed by default on XP.

So dont do the reg file, instead winnt.sif?!?  correct?  This way it will boot up without the check mark?

in regards to the HKEY's

So If I want to make all my reg entries global to all the users that are logged into the pc then I should use HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  Should I change all of my regtweaks to display HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ?

ie:

If I want to disable balloon tips for every user ever created in XP then the following key would not work cause' it's using CURRENT USER and not LOCAL MACHINE?

;Disable Balloon Tips

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000

Are some reg entries specific to only CURRENT USER or will chaging them affect them and not work?

thkz again,

ceez

to apply HKEY_CURRENT_USER tweaks to all users on your system you have to apply them at T12.

check out the guide at unattended.msfn.org as it is described there.

Thkz for the reply peeps,

yes I've been following the guide....it's evolved quite a bit since it's beginnings.

I created the cmdlines.txt and regtweak.reg files and placed it where it says on the guide. But my confusion is the following now: Will the CURRENT USER setting be applied globaly to all users at T-12 or is this part of the guide only for the LOCAL MACHINE reg entries?

Thkz again. :thumbup

Regarding the Indexing thing, if someone could try these one at a time in a VM to see what happens, it may be useful!

Least dangerous

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex\Catalogs\System\Scopes]
"C:\\"=-

More dangerous

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex\Catalogs\System\Scopes]

Most dangerous

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex\Catalogs\System]

@Yzöwl, i don't have those keys (indexing removed with nlite lol) :P

the thing that annoys me is that indexing checkbox is ticked under drives properties... and no, i'm not planning to reshack any systemfile like some1 said on another thread, i just want to untick it! :angry:

@Yzöwl, I'll give them a try sometime today, but what's up with the dangerous levels? DEFCON 5!!!!

this is what my reg entry shows, and I have it unticked on my pc (not virtual pc right now, that will be later! :))

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex\Catalogs\System\Scopes]
"C:\\Documents and Settings"=",,5"
"C:\\"=",,5"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\*\\Application Data\\*"=",,4"
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\*\\Local Settings\\*"=",,4"

@ ceez,

You don't need to bother, it will not do any harm though, as nLite apparently does it too. (the only trouble is it still will not get rid of the tick etc).

The danger thing was only cos I hadn't tried it myself, therefore wasn't wanting people doing something without thinking and then blaming me.

SiMoNsAyS hasn't got the keys therefore you can just go to the DEFCON 5.

If not and your still a 'big scaredy cat', the very least you can do is to Turn off the indexing on your Docs & Settings and C: by replacing the ",,5" with ",,4", on the appropriate lines.