Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

@Randy Rhoads - You really think DX9 should be in the basic Option Pack? Well - so it shall be :)

@ghost87rulez - Let's not forget about the "new" login screen either ;) - dunno what exactly to do with Netpune - but it looks as if one could make a solid OS out of it by borrowing the latest versions of all files from W2k.

Anyway - DTC server is now supported by SP5 - it had it's quirks (especially because I havn't got it to test on myself). Install/upgrade is not supported on DTC - only /integrate. Anyone using it? :blink:

Hope MS URP1 is among todays updates on WU ;)

Gurgelmeyer!!

I have been trolling this thread for a couple of weeks and all I can say is Wow!! :thumbup

You are providing a valuable service to everyone by doing this - thank you.

Do you have a handle on the file sizes for USP5 and/or the option packs? Any idea if these can be slipstreamed onto a cd?

For what its worth, I think the basic option pack should be basic - like your original thoughts. The standard should add in DX9, WM9 or whatever the current version is, etc. The super-duper-crazy-big options pack could everything and the proverbial kitchen sink...??

Edited by The BigSabowski

@ghost87rulez - Sure, TweakUI is a "must" for most of us - myself included. How could I forget it in the first place :no: - It should be in the Extreme Edition for sure, maybe the Standrd Edition too - dunno, have to make up my mind on that :D

@janerik - No - in case USP5 is finished earlier than URP1½ I'll do a USP5a.

@The BigSabowski - Thanks - I appreciate a kind word from time to time :) - maybe the best way to define the Basic Option Pack is SP5 + "all the Critial / Required updates from WU" -- ? Would make sense wouldn't it?

All packages (except the beta components, which will disappear, and maybe the MSJVM 3810) will have slipstream capabilities. Did a little testing with my own W2K PRO:

- W2KPRO Gold: 354 MB

- W2KPRO with SP4 integrated: 367 MB

- W2KPRO wirh SP5 integrated: 361 MB

The reason that the slipstreamed SP5 image is smaller than the SP4 image is, that I remove all unreferenced drivers from DRIVER.CAB (just like nLite).

Gurgelmeyer B)

Gurgelmeyer :thumbup greart job How big will 2k be with sp5 and option pack?

I have a memory controler from 2k3 I used on xp(faster booting-less ram usage) I tried to include it as a attachment but it was to big.

If you want to check it out pm meOK

Another interesting project. I'm gonna keep an eye on this one too.

I'd vote for a package that combines the Basic + IE6 + DX9; basically, everything you got except dotNET (because I loathe it) and WMP9 (because I don't like the looks: the interface doesn't compare to 6.4, even in "Classic" mode). But if the separate packages for Basic, IE6 and DX9 can be slipstreamed together into an SP4 source that shouldn't be an issue (Is this possibility documented somewhere?).

I'm not too sure about naming it "SP5", though (and "SP3" for the XP update). Service Packs are cumulative but your updates are not. Sticking to "Full Post SP4 Rollup" would probably be more appropriate as to not confuse anyone. Although... I wouldn't mind seeing a REAL SP5 update... :w00t:

Edit:

There is a separate folder inside the SP5-RC3 package. Am I supposed to throw it on top of the existing folder in the CD? If I extract W2KSP5_EN.EXE and do a slipstream through UPDATE.EXE, I suppose nothing will be done automatically with that extra folder.

Edited by Tomcat76

I've been following this project for a while, and it's just amazing to watch. Gurgelmeyer, how you do this without an army of people delving into how Win2k works is astonishing. /bow

Here's a trivial idea...maybe a better cards.dll for us solitaire junkies? The 16-color cardbacks are pretty crummy. I don't know what newer versions of Windows use and whether 2k would start giving off smoke if it tried using them anyway (wouldn't that be hilarious if they used the same old cardbacks after all the effort of putting eyecandy into Windows?). Anyhow, I found a site that has their own cards.dll with no restrictions on use:

http://ammaxamma.com/

Unofficial SP5 is cumulative :)
I mean "cumulative" as in "containing all post-Gold hotfixes", or "installable onto Windows 2000 Gold"...

If that's what you meant, then: :w00t:

Edited by Tomcat76

@Tomcat76 - yes, that's exactly what I mean :)

@janerik - look up any patch on microsoft.com and check the file versions. You'll have real trouble finding one which is not included. That's the only way to verify unless you actually have all the patches yoursel.

Won't bother with the latest security patches until I make the Option Pack versions, because it's a never ending story, and they all support /integrate I believe.

Gurgelmeyer B)

@janerik - Because security updates often break stuff, and need hotfixes ;) - so I prefer not to include the most recent ones.

@dirtwarrior - Slipstreaming SP5 into a Gold image will give the exact same result as slipstreaming SP4 and then SP5 - I checked ;)

There is no Option Pack ready yet - lots of work need to be done. I've removed the beta components from the dl site because many confuses those with the Option Pack. The Option Pack(s) are not going to be a set of seperate components - they are going to be released as service pack 5.1a (basic), 5.1b (standard), and 5.1c (extreme). I'll still maintain service pack 5.0 as well.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Hi :)

Just realized how incredibly dull the dl page looked w/o the not-option pack components :lol: - they are back -

AND: I just had to have a little fun too, so I made a new IC.EXE. Install is much faster because all reg updates are done "directly", so the "Updating this and that and registering stuff too" box won't show up after a reboot - all the work is done during install. Only bug is that you'll need to pay a visit to WU to get the most recent updates, but I'll fix that :)

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

I hope that new week will start with USP5 :whistle:

PS: Check this out  Link

I checked that out once, 7-max memory manager, but it required you to reserve RAM for use with 7-max but you couldn't tell it to just use all RAM and start all apps using 7-max. You had to start those apps a certain way... basically it sounds to me like a good idea that needs a bit of work.

I would love to see another project of this guy added to one of the SP5.1 packs though. That is 7-zip. That app rocks and total freeware. Check out... 7-Zip.

Good to see that SP5 is moving right along. I look forward to seeing the final product. Once it goes "gold" I bet you get a million downloads. Especially if you can get a post on neowin.net or www.msfn.org or one of the other geeky pages that post this kinda thing. :hello::hello::hello:

Edited by matthiaselmo