Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

I see people have been making suggestions on what to borrow from other OS's and if you get anything added see if you can add the XP "Quick" format options in 2K.

Add me to the fan club of adding IE 6 into the service pack as well. By the time you do all windows updates anything you may not like about IE6 will be sneaked in through there anyway. If you hate it that bad then why are you even using IE at all? Just use Firefox if your that paranoid.

Things like MSN Messenger 7 and Direct X9 added would be nice as well. You cant even install MSN Messenger 7 untill after IE6 is installed which is just alot more to do after Windows setup. If just these 3 items were included it would save alot of time and cd space.

Edited by Randy Rhoads

I hope I'm speaking for more than merely myself, but I like 2K because it's lean. The only reason I have IE in a computer is for Win Update, and now that I know I can have Opera id itself as IE, I may not need it at all. I don't need DX9 or Messenger. My vote is to keep those components as extras, not in the base USP5.

dirtwarrior it was publcally available when it was developed

I think. (or for developers or beta testers probably) :blushing:

Anyway its beta so its not consideret to be warez

again I think :blushing:

Correct me if a i am wrong.

Like now is Vista.

Edited by ghost87rulez

@RyanVM - I made a hotfix with 331 catalogs for testing - it didn't give me any problems on 2k. Haven't tried integrating them though - is that what causes problems on XP?

@ghost87rulez - What a nice PM ;)

Generally: there will be no component "upgrades" in USP5. The only exception to this rule is msxml3®.dll, which is required by several security updates. (IE501 is not such a terrible browser I might add).

The Option Pack Basic Edition will be USP5 + the updates (incl. IE6) from WU - excl NETFX and WMP9.

The Option Pack Standard Edition will be USP5 + all the "official" component upgrades.

The Option Pack Extreme Edition will be USP5 + all the "official" and "unofficial" component upgrades + whatever seems to be able to run on 2k.

Once again: this project is not just about integrating whatever shows up on WU :lol:

True True so true,

but Gurgelmeyer, do you suppose that, this trick would (or could) be possible with Neptune itself as Core (instead of windows 2000),

not sure if nlite would take it - but i sure as hell would love to try :D

Edited by -I-

neptune does work with nlite. I made a bootable iso with it :thumbup For some reason I couldnt install video drivers, tried 2k drivers BSOD, tried xp drivers BSOD, tried 9x drivers guess what BSOD. Another mate has narrowed the problem down and I have 100% confidence he will fix it :thumbup

neptune does work with nlite. I made a bootable iso with it :thumbup For some reason I couldnt install video drivers, tried 2k drivers BSOD, tried xp drivers BSOD, tried 9x drivers guess what BSOD. Another mate has narrowed the problem down and I have 100% confidence he will fix it  :thumbup

...and it all relates with the driver.cab that was released with win2k pro, and not 2k personal (neptune), which I find quite stupid. They should have added the driver.cab to MS Neptune, then the NVIDIA drivers would have been succesfull without a stop error everytime you boot up your computer until you uninstall NVIDIA drivers from Safe Mode. That is how I believe to fix the Neptune NVIDIA Drivers problem. But you will defintely need 2k, XP drivers, though. It's a known fact. :thumbup:thumbup

Edited by mitchellovision

"The Option Pack Basic Edition will be USP5 + the updates (incl. IE6) from WU - excl NETFX and WMP9.

"The Option Pack Standard Edition will be USP5 + all the "official" component upgrades.

"

Oh, i didnt know you planned to include a IE6 inside your SP5 project ..i had thought that the IE6 and such would be single addons packs that would have to be installed after Windows setup by runonce. If you plan to make a SP5, that has IE6, and can be slipstreamed using standard M$ commands, then that is great and was my biggest need. Being able to slipstream IE6 along with the SP5 will reduce most people's cd source alot and just be a cleaner and faster install.

I would include DirectX 9 with that one as well though. Then people can exclude those during runonce and add other stuff they may need without having to do a IE upgrade beforehand and without having to turn to dvd.

Edited by Randy Rhoads