Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

Yep ;)

Sry to keep ya all waiting, BUT I'll hold back SR-1 a few more days because I need to include some more hotfixes.

Trust me, those fixes are worth waiting for. :yes:

Once again, I'm really sorry to keep you all waiting, but I'm a perfectionist - I can't help it I'm afraid :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

USP 5.0 includes the MSURP1 too. I removed three files from MSURP1, which are intended for DRM and has never been part of W2K, because I don't think it's a wise decision from MS to introduce a new kernel mode driver in an OS only 3 days before mainstream support for that OS ends.

MSURP1 shows up on WU because MS really wants you to have those DRM-support files - but I won't push them down your throat in USP 5 :lol:

Wholly Smoke Gurgelmeyer is still going strong on this! When will the poor guy sleep!? How will he feed himself!?

Seriously Gurgelmeyer, I hope your life isn't suffering at the expense of this project; Windows 2000 has been around a while, and those of us that still need, and/or perfer it will probably still be using it for quire a while longer (thanks to you) -- so I think you have plenty of time to roll out updates; just look how long Microsoft takes...

I remember a message where you talked being in the doghouse at work because you were spending so much time on this -- I hope everything's ok, as even the smallest trouble or inconvenience is too much to suffer for one that's given so much of his time!

Chees You! And Thanks Muchly Again!

:thumbup

MS- Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, is also cumulative,

Will it shorten the list of hotfixes,

because for one reason or another, the first 20 numerbers seamned to have no active download, - im realy not sure, how to proceed in getting the downloads. :S

anyone for a hint?

I realy Am thingking of checking this list agains W2K-SP4-NL + w2k-Rollup1-rv2

and after that checking for the remaining hotfixes to get....

would that help????

@-I- That's what is special about the USP 5 - it contains >300 bugfixes which cannot be dl'ed directly. Some are cumulative, so roughly 5-700 bugs are fixed (probably closer to 700 than to 500). It also contains the publicly available fixes of course. :)

@hoak - Thanks :) Actually this is what I do for fun whenever I find the time to work on it. I find it very rewarding to do work which may benefit so many people B)

Ow my deer god, - probebly no-one ever bothered to make the fixes avail in some way,

so getting the english versions would probebly be way simpler than dutch (or any other versions) -

id almost start to think ghat - using a resource editor to translate the pack would be way easyer than - getting the files from MS (knowing Mstream support ended).

right???

<Edit:>

So in that case, I might better consider just sticking with the public avail fixes,

Taking SP4 / Rollup-rv2, / and anything else I can get my hands on, and releasing it as SP 4.5

Edited by -I-

Maybe you should try integrating IE from XP SP2 into Windows 2000.

Not possible. If it was, then MS would have done it long ago.

IE6SP2 involves huge changes to the core.

Moreover, if security is what you want, then why bother with IE, use an alternative instead!

Bah...if Security was the issue you'd remove the blasted thing altogether...

and figure out a way to replace\repair the bits that 'need' IE to work...what

I need a #### web browser for user administrator or for downloading updates

to the OS is beyond me though...

Sorry for asking this at page 57 :blushing: , maybe it's been covered a few times already, but, just to sum up...

1) Using your USP will i get the same result as installing W2K SP4 plus IE6 SP1 plus every hotfix found by Windows Update... or somehow better?

2) What's the advantage in building this USP instead of using Runonceex to apply "official" hotfixes after a plain SP4 installation?

3) Since i'm italian ;) can this all be localized? Maybe i could help somehow...

Thanks a lot, and sorry again for these probably dull questions :whistle:

Sorry for asking this at page 57  :blushing: , maybe it's been covered a few times already, but, just to sum up...

2) What's the advantage in building this USP instead of using Runonceex to apply "official" hotfixes after a plain SP4 installation?

Runonce is nowhere near as good. win2k would be installed up until the Runonce stage then it would install each update separately one after the other and we're talking hundreds of fixes - it could take hours. With Gurgelmeyer's pack, you could actually update your installation files in the i386 folder and have a proper updated windows 2000 disk. Just install Windows and you have the latest updates (as apposed to an old out of date disk with updates in a separate folder which Runonce installs).

This project Gurgelmeyer is undertaking is such a good solution for all users of windows 2000. I take my hat off to the guy. Excellent work.

Runonce is nowhere near as good. win2k would be installed up until the Runonce stage then it would install each update separately one after the other and we're talking hundreds of fixes - it could take hours. With Gurgelmeyer's pack, you could actually update your installation files in the i386 folder and have a proper updated windows 2000 disk. Just install Windows and you have the latest updates (as apposed to an old out of date disk with updates in a separate folder which Runonce installs).

This project Gurgelmeyer is undertaking is such a good solution for all users of windows 2000. I take my hat off to the guy. Excellent work.

Ok :) Just two extra questions then:

1) You're talking about hundreds of patches, but WU shows about maybe 20 of them after the rollup... where do these "hundreds" come from?

2) Any hope for non-english users? :}