Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

[q]Anyway, it would be cool to do a driver pack for 2k[/q]

So true, but the thing is, - on thuis files al sorts of new entries have been added, - for things like IE 6 Win-Security Centre and lots of those kind of stuf.

so IF you desided to switch, - you allso MUST ensure that windows-update will be made imposible by harder means than just the reg-edit... or youd absolutely risk a system-meltdown

therefor id suggest also changing the build nr. to ensure MS-update will fail the compatibillity test...

in any case - id (more than) love to help testing this...

I like the idea of a driver pack being released seperately. I also like the direction Gurgelmeyer has been taking this project in releasing an "extreme" edition or Option Packs, etc.. However, when we start talking about replacing the kernel and trying to turn W2K into XP, I think that is taking it a bit too far.

I hope Gurgelmeyer decides to continue as he has been doing and keep W2K as W2Kish as can be.

There must be a way to enable large drive support (not that I need it) without switching the kernel or doing anything so drastic.

In addition, I think the very concept of adding XP-only features such as Security Center, System Restore, or Visual Styles is ludicrous, and, in terms of the philosophy of what Gurgelmeyer has been trying to achieve here (a fully-updated Windows 2000), outrageous.

BTW Gurgelmeyer, thank you for your hard work on this project. I have enjoyed using your USPs since I beta-tested the first full compilation a while back, and enjoyed using your Update Rollup prior to Microsoft's release of an official version. Keep up the good work. :)

Edited by slippykillsticks

@dirtwarrior - I posted my initial conserns in your thread. Actually, I'll encourage anyone who knows about this to lend a hand to dirtwarrior, because he's doing a very special project ;)

Here is the thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=55494

@slippykillsticks - Yep - that's why I moved all the "XP-ish" stuff to USP 5.1 Extreme Edition (EE). It will be fun to make EE when the time comes, but I don't wanna include too much XP stuff, because Microsoft will definately not like that. I respect Microsofts intellectual property, copyright, and stuff like that very much. But don't worry - there's plenty of cool stuff for the EE.

Status on Basic edition:

- Large IDE available from text mode setup - some folks have been doing some tests for me, and the "EnableBigLBA" setting makes it behave exactly like XP does, so it doesn't seem to have caveats.

- IE6/OE6/WAB/SE56 are fully integrated (haven't done the update.inf yet, so it only slipstreams atm - but I'll do that later on). Moving on to

- MDAC 2.8 SP1 / XML2,3,4 etc. (hope MSSQL runs on MDAC 2.8 SP1)

- MSI 3.1, BITS 2.0, WUv6 active X

Best regards

Gurgelmeyer B)

@dirtwarrior - I apologize, I thought you were trying to nudge this project in a different direction and I didn't realize you had a seperate project going. Good luck with your other project :). (Is there a link to it BTW?) EDIT: Nevermind, just saw the link :blushing:

@Gurgelmeyer - No need to rush -- get it done at your own pace. I think everyone here would rather you release a finished (or at least mostly finished) version than rush to release what you have. As to the EE, I didn't mean to imply that I am banking on it or anything, just that I like that you have the generosity to continue working on this project to such a degree. Thank you again for the work that you're doing :).

Edited by slippykillsticks

@ Gurgelmeyer >>>

What about Translations, for the Win2k SP5(.1 / EE),

Could you please explane how to do it,

so I could try and start building a Dutch version (NL).

Thanks...

@dirtwarior >>>>

I have installed (neptune on a AMD- Duron system (vith via chipset) Sucsessfuly, (without any mods) and i must say that i didn't find to mutch diference in the build (compared to win2K Pro), like i had thought windows networking (domains) to be disabled but it whasn't (yet?),

also so much of the logon stuf (and such) should be improve (if possible),

But, all these challenges look a lot of fun to me, so i will try and help with it as much as i can...

Gurgelmeyer you are a hero!!!

Congratulations!!!

I have just a few suggestions/questions about your forcomming OptionPack:

will it contain/will u add TweakUI

msconfig

MS RegClean

PolEdit (maybe from OfficeXP Reskit)

better editor

MS MovieMaker 2.1 (I have miniDV Camera)

AktiveSync ( I have PPC 2003 GPS Navigation)

XP icons

MS IntelliPoint 5.3 and/or 4.1

MSN Explorer (it could add popup blocker and tabbed browsing to ie6.0sp1)

Replace org. Executive Software Defrag with better O&O Defrag 2000 Freeware Edition

BTW: Is there an ISORecorderPowerToy for 2000 like the one for XP?

Regards

Seppl

@Seppl - I do agrea with you that better looking icons would be nice fox windows 2000, but i realy must dis-agree with you anyways.

I think that if you realy want a betterlooking windows 2000, you should ask the poeple of XPize to make it, (or make them yourself,

I realy dont think we should be asking thi, to the guys building it,

but rater, take to fille from the SP and Res-edit them ourselves,

-----------------

also i realy wouldn't go for MSNexplorer. but go for IE7, opera, (or better yet, mozilla Firefox) instead.

-----------------

For the rest of your questions, most of them could be done i guess though i dont actualy remember seeing a navite windows burnin toof for 2000, but the are probebly tons of Freeware or OSS tools to go with it instead (if it indeads doesn't exists).

@Gurgelmeyer

what is BTW gooing to happen about MS-JVM, is it still availible, or are you guys going to get rid of anything - having something to do with it.

id realy say ... GO for the total eradication of MSJVM- and leave no traces behind... for it is junk noth even worth of beeing on the same cdrom as your windows files...

Hi everyone :)

Thanks for your many kind words - much appreciated :thumbup

Here's the plan:

- I compiled USP 5.0 SR-1 (Service Release 1) two days ago, and I'm in the process of testing it. 10-12 brand new or rebuilt hotfixes - plus the msurp1-v2 - have been added. I'll have to cover the upgrade scenario from USP 5.0 as well. It should be ready some time next week.

- MS already properly removed the MSJVM from W2K - and I'm not going to add it to any USP. However I intend to wrap up MSJVM 3810 in a separate package, which may be installed or slipstreamed.

- I do not intend to include any third party software in USP 5.1 - only possible exception might be the Extreme Edition, but it's not likely. I'll work my way through this whole thread and collect all the suggested components and have a look at them.

- When USP 5.0 SR-1 has been released, I'll finish USP 5.1 Basic Edition and publish USP 5.1 RC1 for testing. It should be ready later this month. Hope you guys will do me the honer of testing it ;)

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)