Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

That's quite a few dl's :)

There might be some good news about a mirror site soon :yes:

Also, I'm now up to date with all August hotfixes (not just the WU ones) - a big thank you to you-know-who-yor-are :thumbup - only waiting for MS the reissue the URP1 before I build USP 5.0 SR-1

Hi :)

Are you absolutely sure about KB820888, KB839645, and KB890859 :blink: - those are definately part of USP 5.0, and they didn't show up on WU last time I checked.  Hmmm... if they did show up, was this before or after you installed IE6? Or both? Have anyone else experienced that those hotfixes show up?

They won't change any files -

KB820888 NTFS.SYS 5.0.2195.6753  <  USP 5.0 NTFS.SYS 5.0.2195.7049

KB839645 SHELL32.DLL 5.0.3900.6922  <  USP 5.0 SHELL32.DLL 5.0.3900.7040

KB890859 WINLOGON.EXE 5.0.2195.6970 < USP 5.0 WINLOGON.EXE 5.0.2195.7031

(etc etc etc)

It's definately an error that they show up on WU though.

The other dl's will be in USP 5.1 :yes:  (well, maybe not the dotnetfx - at least not in the USP 5.1 basic edition)

Best regards

Gurgelmeyer

Yeah these are all the hotfixes that showed up in windows update, but it was after installing ie6, which was the first thing I did once I brought up the os. I'm going to probably setup another machine this weekend, and I'll pay a little more attention about the process.

have been looking for, a txtsetup_mod so it would use the format options from win2003 / or XP but haven't actualy found out about it (yet),

and i whast thinkin, since M$ isn't incoperating new updates anyways,

wouldn't it be an idea to brand the windows lopo (resource edit) from a monitor with winlogo insite to a winlogo with - USP5.x (build nr)

that way evryone can see - the update is good...

Edited by -I-

OK anyone who is banned and cant download then PM and I will send your way. Either way sorry for the **** confusion. Tried turnning off the banning s*** and keep my own list, but no luck.

That being said it can not be many of you guys, as bandwidth just hit 100GB.

Thanks for the offer, dude! But I'll save everyone the bandwidth and wait for the next release! It sounds good with all that stuff integrated. :thumbup

@dirtwarrior - Large IDE will be in 5.1 (all editions), and any GUI enhancements will (probably) be in 5.1 "extreme edition" only. Hope to figure out how the W2k built-in application patcher works, in which case explorer.exe etc. can be patched in-memory - that would be sweet, wouldn't it :rolleyes:

@-I- - Don't think a txtsetup mod is quite enough to enable quick formatting - it seems not to be implemented in the w2k version of usetup.exe (aka system32\smss.exe - they are identical.) You can replace those with the xp ones, but that's not enough :wacko:

Btw, I'll add a proper version and build number at the bottom of the AUTORUN.HTM file ;)

Stay cool B)

If this has been answered before forgive me

With usp 5.0 or 5.1 is support for large HD enabled by default? GUI enhancements?

Seeing as large HD support was added in SP3 and this is a cumulative SP5 then it will be yes

Should I add it to USP 5.0 then? It's not complicated at all - it's just not enabled by default in SP3/4/5 :wacko:

If this has been answered before forgive me

With usp 5.0 or 5.1 is support for large HD enabled by default? GUI enhancements?

Seeing as large HD support was added in SP3 and this is a cumulative SP5 then it will be yes

Should I add it to USP 5.0 then? It's not complicated at all - it's just not enabled by default in SP3/4/5 :wacko:

As a follow up on my previous issue, I noticed that textmode setup now shows the proper size of my drives and has no partition detection issues. I added the bigLBA settings to SETUPREG.HIV, but I can't be sure it was that setting alone that fixed my problems.

I have a question and really has an alternative use besides on 2k.

If I expanded driver cab of 2k and extracted

NTKRNLMP.EXE

NTKRNLPA.EXE

NTKPAMP.EXE

NTOSKRNL.EXE

Expanded driver cab of xp and replaced the above files into it, recabbed it, And then placed it into 2k sourse cd. Would I have a modernized driver cab or a mess?

BTW what is the easiest way to recab to the same compression level?

@ Gurg

As I read it (on the MS Bulliten) if you enable the large LBA and the BIOS can't handle it - you will be screwed. Although, it would also require a drive that is bigger than 137G. If you enable it (and I am for that option) you may want to post a note warning against using larger drives if the bios is dumb - since that would be a bad thing. My test-bed system can't handle it, but It only has a 40G drive so not really a problem. Just a caveat.

BTW: BLESS YOU! Fantastic job. I am chomping at the bit waiting for the ver with IE/mdac,etc. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas - wheeeeee :thumbup

@dirtwarrior - I guess you'd end up with something very messy. You'd have to at least include the HAL's and the KERNEL32.DLL and the likes. Anyone ever tried to switch the NT kernel? :blink:

@Electrician - thanks :) - that's how I read the article too. I've decided not to add >127GB IDE to USP 5.0 (the unbloated USP), but endeed to add it to USP 5.1. Btw USP 5.1 is coming along nicely B)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

Switching the Kernel is a BAD thing, unless you are thinking of getting your selfe up to the nose in s***.

If you'd realy want to have large disks enabled youd better start with a base system Win XP and removing what you dont like -