Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

Blimey!

I just discovered this thread! :P

Gurgelmeyer - your determination and commitment are amazing!

I'm using XP SP2 at the moment, but I have an old-ish PC I might try out win2K & your new unofficial SP5. I was going to use 98SE SP2, but win 2000 is fundamentally more secure (& stable) without XP's bloat.

Great work!

I am glad to read that win 2000 unofficial SP5 will work with nlite. Will it work with litePC's XPlite (which trims win 2000 & XP)?

Keep up the excellent work. :thumbup

Ooops, so "excited" to find out about this cool project, I forgot to say that I agree with the other posters (sic):

Gurgelmeyer's unofficial win 2000 SP5 deserves its own forum

USP5 deserves more attention (IMHO)

Who can make this happen?

Please?

Pretty please?

Yet another newbie

there are so many ways to get a forum but if Gurgelmeyer,

neads a host, for a discusion forum, or image-galery (for sceenshots),

id be hapy to set it up, just PM me and ill gladly discuse options...

Cool :thumbup: - this thread is getting rather long.... :wacko:

I'll just make a final SP5 and have a word with the board admins B)

hey gurgelmeyer, I have a question for ya...

WHen your sub-forum opens up...can I start a new thread in there, from what Windows Me components may be needed to go to Win2k SP5? It's up to you, but I was jw. Thnx! :thumbup

Yep - I've had three problems:

1 - In the very first update pack I gave all cat's the same timestamp. That turned out to be a very bad idea when slipstreaming the update pack manually, because somehow the timestamps are important. So all cat's have their original timestamp now.

2 - When integrating USP5 Windows Setup leaves a lot of SET*.TMP files in %systemroot%, because it appears to install the .cat files twice - first at the beginning of GUI setup, and later just before or after it processes the [setupHotfixesToRun] section. That's either an 'error by design' in Setup I believe - or it serves some strange purpose.

3 - Copying the .cat files to the CatRoot\{GUID} subdir directly using txtsetup (I tried that once) doesn't install them. Only "proper" (=no hacks allowed) way still seems to be svcpack.inf - or RunOnce reg entries, but I haven't tried that method yet.

Other than that I've not had any trouble with the .cat's. Could be fun to make a setup for your update pack too (hotstream v2) :rolleyes:

neptune huh, i was realy looking for it but couldn't get / find a decent download, - anyone has it by chance???

lol would love to see what features of it could be intergrated / (or ported) to win 2K -

always wanted a home user version of 2K

I wonder if win 2k could be made into neptune? Neptune was faster booting (single user by default) had a nicer front end but not like xp (xp=yek).

If someone could find an old beta of neptune to look at it just to see what could be done to 2k.

Neptune actually was ahead of its time. It was going to be windows 2k personal edtion. It used some of the features that are in vista but wasnt used in xp. Better memory usage(tweaks) among other things.

Neptune actually was ahead of its time. It was going to be ...

Sounds awfully familiar with the new Longhorn/Vista. I think this is MS's way of introducinf/overhyping things: making promesses but not living up to them: all good things that were going to be in Longhorn are already stripped. It will be another cosmetic upgrade I'm afraid.

Zl.

Yep - I've had three problems:

1 - In the very first update pack I gave all cat's the same timestamp. That turned out to be a very bad idea when slipstreaming the update pack manually, because somehow the timestamps are important.  So all cat's have their original timestamp now.

2 - When integrating USP5 Windows Setup leaves a lot of SET*.TMP files in %systemroot%, because it appears to install the .cat files twice - first at the beginning of GUI setup, and later just before or after it processes the [setupHotfixesToRun] section.  That's either an 'error by design' in Setup I believe - or it serves some strange purpose.

3 - Copying the .cat files to the CatRoot\{GUID} subdir directly using txtsetup (I tried that once) doesn't install them. Only "proper" (=no hacks allowed) way still seems to be svcpack.inf - or RunOnce reg entries, but I haven't tried that method yet.

Other than that I've not had any trouble with the .cat's.  Could be fun to make a setup for your update pack too (hotstream v2) :rolleyes:

The problem I've run into seems to lie with the number of CAT files installed. It hits a brick wall of sorts and won't install anymore. I think it's actually not tied to the number of CAT files, but the hashes stored in the database. I'd be curious to see if you run into similar problems with Win2K.