Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

Hi :)

@dirtwarrior - it's hard but not impossible. Hardest part is probably to get rid of the actual NT 5.1/5.2 kernel dependencies - not all entry points are available in NT 5.0, but I'm sure there's a way around that too.

Figured out what the "Access Denied" error is all about -- it's not a file replacement that causes this, it's a registry update. It only happens if a particular update has been installed from WUv6 - but I haven't figured out which one yet.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Figured out what the "Access Denied" error is all about -- it's not a file replacement that causes this, it's a registry update.  It only happens if a particular update has been installed from WUv6 - but I haven't figured out which one yet.

I got the problem on 2 different machines with SP4 + MS URP and no other updates. I was going to uninstalled the MS URP and then try your SP5 today but I didn't have time. I'll try it later.

Gurgelmeyer

hows it going? Really havnt chatted much since I got some of those hot fixes for your project, actually I went off to help on another project"sigh" this other 1 fell through even though the intention were well. Havnt been following much on this but still interested. BTW is msconfig included with option pack?

@dirtwarrior - SP5 is now RC3, and I'm about to build the final version within a few days. Haven't done a public Option Pack yet, but I'm looking forward to it - at the moment I'm about to do a little research to see what it takes to run the themes service, since that seems to be what everyone wants the most. It has taken far longer than expected to make the unofficial SP5 - mostly because I got ambitious and did a "real" SP rather than a non-cumulative one.

For all of you wondering why it says "SP4" everywhere, the reason is very simple: Technically it's no problem to change the number, but WU detects the SP level and doesn't work properly if it's set to 5. Simple as that!

B)

BTW is msconfig included with option pack?

Actually, that would be awesome. :D What do you think, gurglemeyer, and how's buisness with System Restore for win2k?

I'm dying for system restore and msconfig in win2k. Win2k would be **THE** ultimate NT OS, right beside XP's name. ...LOL, I couldn't resist saying that. :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by mitchellovision

I'm about to make an SP5 FINAL very soon. Got some rebuilt hotfixes from one of the COOLEST guys in here - THANK YOU :thumbup:

When SP5 is final I'll repack the MSJVM 3810 in a way that supports /integrate. I won't add it to SP5 though (don't worry).

In the mean time you guys need to help me figure out what the Option Pack should contain. Maybe there should be more than one edition? Like this:

- Option Pack Basic Edition = SP5 + IE6 + BITS2 + MSI31 + Security Updates

- Option Pack Standard Edition = SP5 + IE6 + BITS2 + MSI31 + MDACxx + WMP9 + DX9C + GDIPLUS + ... (all the "native" w2k stuff, all the security updates, all the hotfixes)

- Option Pack Extreme Edition = SP5 + IE6SP2 (if possible) + MDAC + WMP10 (if possible) + SR (if possible) + Themes (if possible) ...

Just a suggestion - but please think about it, and post your thoughts. I won't include any third party software though.

Best regards

Gurgelmeyer B)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

It's looking good. I myself would use the extreme edition because it would be XP without a lot of crap.

A suggestion would be including Hearts, Spider Solitaire, and the Internet Games from ME into the Option Pack (would probably fit into the extreme category).

the_guy

Signature link for Windows 2000 USP 5.0

[url=http://www.willsdownloads.com/hotstream/hotstream.php][img=http://www.msfn.org/board/uploads/post-47483-1123010975.png][/url]

post-47483-1123010975_thumb.png

Edited by Aegis

hey gurglemeyer...

I had to reformat to WinMe again becuase Win2k SP4 glicthed on me, said something inacessable hard drive. But since I have WinME, would you like me to send you the System Resotre files with registry and WinMe's msconfig in a self-exe via e-mail? Thnx! And as a complement, I think that your project will be a heck of alot better iwth System Restore and msconfig

Edited by mitchellovision