Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

Sorry, it was over two hundred not dozens; and they were impossible and not merely hard to find updates! :blushing:

Having tinkered with what you're actually doing in a professional and results oriented manner I well know what an enormous chore, and how detail oriented such a project is, not to mention the headaches in reconciling all the issues and conflicts under all the circumstances you intend this SP to work -- then there's all the Microsoft SP install script and and configuration issues you've addressed and fixed as well.

I also agree emphatically and compeltely with the epistomology of keeping features and especially 3rd party 'extras' out of the service pack; and am very gald you're doing it that way.

Few may appreciate the scale of your project and the sheer volume of work involved Gurgelmeyer, but I understand it first hand and know how fortunate we are to have you, and know how lucky we are.

Cheers You!

:D

what about the /update command,

will NLite be able to remove components after,

using this method, ( want do remove drivers / MS-OE / MS-MPlayer / and perhaps 1 or 2 aditional options, and maybe even IExplorer. and ofcource ANY remaining MSjvm files on the system...

Hoak, you misread my post. What I am saying is that the reason no one else is doing it is precisely because Gurglemeyer has already done the work, gone to the trouble of obtaining non-regression tested nonpublic fixes and put them in, etc, and that is the reason why no one else did it. Why would I trivialize or disparage his work?

Gurglemeyer - in the non-regression tested fixes you have seen are there new kernel files? The rollup has a bug that eliminated the STOP instruction so that the CPU never goes idle when it should (source is in this forum, posted a few weeks ago?) Wondering if MS issued a quiet fix for this?

So if the patches are not for publicity avaible, it will be impossible to get localized versions, right ?

------

thats right, - you should try to optain the localized versions yourself and

rebuilt the project on your own files, G will probebly hapely share on how to do so, but the prob is, - if MS hasn't released them publicly, they probebly also havent translated them. :LOL ... i wonder, if Reshacking the files would work LOL... probebly would take you severall days... though..

Edited by -I-

@-I- - yes, you may nLite your slipstreamed image.

@fdv - yes, kernel32.dll and ntdll.dll are post-urp1.

@hoak - some of these problems might very well be related to the FS filter driver introduced in the msurp1, and/or the configuration of the tcpip.sys. I'll have to test to be sure of course.

@janerik - In general the hotfixes can be obtained from Microsoft in most languages, and localizing the remaining files - if necessary at all - with a resource editor is not complicated. Most are language neutral. I'll be happy to offer my assistance. :)

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

OK - I've checked.  The most recent kernel files still have the CPU HALT flaw.  Does anyone know exactly which file has this flaw?

B)

Most likely ntoskrnl.exe? If it's not located there, then it would be in kernel32.dll.

About the localization issue...it would be a total burden and waste of time to obtain every hotfix in different languages. I'm not sure if it would work or not, but why not compare an English unpatched version with a patched one, then apply the differences to an unpatched localized version?

This is a really good idea. If you need another beta tester on windows 2000 pro with sp4 slipstreamed in, i will be able to test it out for you. Good luck. I just wish that microsoft released service pack 5 (i'm probably not alone) instead of a rollup pack and a lot of hotfixes. Good luck in finishing up Gurgelmeyer.

Thanks :) -- yep, RC2 of SP5 is ready for public release - I'm just testing it myself at the moment.

I THINK I "solved" the CPU HALT problem by rolling back halmacpi.dll to build 6801 - tested this on a pc today, and it didn't heat up when I left it alone. That's the same build number as the other HAL's btw. Anyway, halmacpi.dll is the only HAL in URP1, so it has to be that one I guess. I do have to check all the hotfixes to see if build 7006 of halmacpi.dll from December 2004 is "required". Also, this HAL is only for P4 HT or multiprocessor architectures (same thing as far as W2K is conserned), so a lot of people shouldn't experience any problems.

Other than that, I've chosen NOT to include the FLT*.* files from the URP1, so URP1 now shows up on WU again - as it should. You won't need it though, unless you want the kernel mode FS Filter driver installed.

Well - gotta finish my testing - anyone who've tested RC1 will know where to find RC2 ;) - but it will be public in one or two days from now.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Unofficial SP5 for Microsoft Windows 2000 Release Candidate 3 is now available for download at http://www.willsdownloads.com/hotstream/hotstream.php

Known issues:

1) The MSURP1 shows up on WU. You don't want it (trust me)

2) Before integrating the latest hotfixes and or security updates please expand the SVCPACK.IN_ integrated by SP5. It's not empty. I'm working on removing the silly little sp5-upd.exe however.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)