Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

Hi everyone :)

I'm dealing with the legal aspects of my Unofficial SP5, because I've been advised to do so. These things need to be cleared up before I proceed to public release. I'm considering to just give Microsoft a call and ask their opinion, because I honestly can't make much sense of their EULA's.

But don't worry - things will work out somehow. They always do B)

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

Well, I'm chosing TommyP's method of slipstreaming hotfixes - it works with Rollup now! Go here

Gurgelmeyer did a great job, hope he'll revial some of his secrets how it was done in future. But frankly speaking I had feelings that we are not going to have this SP5 anyway.

Regards,

Oleg 2

Hi everyone :)

I'm dealing with the legal aspects of my Unofficial SP5, because I've been advised to do so.  These things need to be cleared up before I proceed to public release.  I'm considering to just give Microsoft a call and ask their opinion, because I honestly can't make much sense of their EULA's.

But don't worry - things will work out somehow.  They always do B)

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer

You might try emailing Bart Lagerweij of BartPE fame. He ran into some EULA type issues as he was developing BartPE so he may have some suggestions on who to contact or places to start.

www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

www.nu2.nu/contact/bart/

Edited by matthiaselmo

Hi everyone,

I won't need to call Microsoft it seems, because someone has offered his assistance. Thanx to you-know-who-you-are (and you probably saved this project!!!)

I remember the problems Bart ran into, and it might be a very good idea to have his story too. I'll get in touch with him.

Anyway: First RC of Unofficial SP5 is being tested right now - just finished it a few hours ago. :D

(I might just make myself a nice cup of coffee to celebrate :lol: )

Hi everyone,

I won't need to call Microsoft it seems, because someone has offered his assistance.  Thanx to you-know-who-you-are (and you probably saved this project!!!)

I remember the problems Bart ran into, and it might be a very good idea to have his story too.  I'll get in touch with him.

Anyway:  First RC of Unofficial SP5 is being tested right now - just finished it a few hours ago. :D

(I might just make myself a nice cup of coffee to celebrate :lol: )

Well, great news -- and we all know who distributes Microsoft files around here -- but will not be named.

But frankly speaking I had feelings that we are not going to have this SP5 anyway.

Dude, that is cold - and uncalled for. This project is not vaporware, Gurgelmeyer

has released product to beta testers as he saw fit. The man has dedicated a LOT of time to this cause. <inflamitory remark removed>

@Gurgelmeyer

I am glad you are not caving to the evil forces of the dark side!

Stay the course. We all look forward to the final release candidate!

Thanks, again.

Edited by Electrician

I was not trying to give offence to anybody. If it looks so with my English I'm sorry. I was just expressing my thoughts about the future of this project.

And I'm agree that Gurgelmeyer did a great job, nobody blames him because it doesn't depend on him.

But I'm also won't sit and wait if there are some other methods to make my Windows better right now.

Regards,

Oleg 2

I don't think that remark was meant for you :lol:

Anyway: got some great feedback from testers - only unexpected issue (so far :rolleyes:) seems to be that the MSURP sometimes shows up on WU.

MSURP1/WU is strange. I had to set up a testpc with w2ksp4 at work yesterday - had to install the MSURP1 twice from WU. :wacko: Also, when I dl'ed and installed it manually on another workstation, it still showed up on WU. :blink:

Well - I'll get to the bottom of that. Still got a few theories on this.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer

(Alive and well - lol)

Hey Gurgelmeyer, TommyP and I ran into this same dilemma a few days back.

The new Windows Update checks more than just reg entries now... Great. :angry:

It's checking for several dlls to be copied over to system32.

A simple slipstream we made wouldn't do this (at first) but the EXE did. So, we adapted the command. The files that you need to be sure of are dummy.cat, oem6.cat, authz.dll, fltlib.dll, fltmc.exe, fltmgr.sys, and the files in the windows media server subdirectory in system32. Worked for us.

As an aside, if applying the download is still not causing WU to see that it's on your system, there are major problems, because WU is no longer an applet like it used to be at all, it is now totally an ActiveX control run within IE. If WU isn't seeing it applied, then perhaps it's a Power User account and not an Admin. Can't think of what else it might be offhand right now, but then again, I need some sleep.

Make an up-to-date Win2k SP5 manually

"honey, mommy doesn't know what that means, but it's dinner time,

and you've got to stop crying and come out of the bathroom now."

Woof. The following has been an inside joke.

Interesting. Very interesting actually. I deliberately removed the FLT*.* files, because I know what they do and why they are there. I can easily add those files - but I'm not sure I want to, since the new behaviour of WU just substantiates the speculations I had which made me remove them in the first place. In plain English: this file system filter driver is intended for DRM, and Microsoft wants to make REALLY sure you installed it, and that it is in proper working condition.

Now - I don't mind DRM. From a professional point of view I think the technologi is brilliant. But I do mind that new kernel mode drivers are introduced two days before mainstream support is ended, and I do think people are entitled to know what they install. This filter driver is not even mentioned at microsoft.com.

But I'll consider adding it anyway - maybe I'll wrap them up as a seperate hotfix. First I'll have a closer look at the wms\* files though.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

I don't think that remark was meant for you :lol:

Well it should be. :unsure:

Seeing as I released a pack of over 100 winxp sp2 microsoft hotfixes together. Ryan releases just the files. I release the installers themseleves. lol I've stoped now though for obvious reasons.

:whistle:

I love warez! :thumbup

In that case, I'm sure it was endeed meant for you, Will :)

SP5 RC2 (=final?) will be a PUBLIC release as soon as it's ready :yes: - have to add two more minor security updates and the root certs update, write an EULA and that's about it. At the moment I'm still looking into the MSURP/WU issue.

When SP5 is done I'll take a small break and then do the Option Pack (the one with IE6, WMP9 etc etc).

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)