Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

Update:  Unofficial SP 5 works perfectly with nLite ;)

SP5 is not yet perfect however.  I'm going through a few hundred registry settings with a toothcomb to make sure everything is at least 100.7% correct.

Maybe I should look into slipstreaming the IC package (IE6) as the first thing when SP5 is done...

"Stay tuned" :rolleyes: - FINAL RELEASE BEFORE MONDAY (ouch -- my ears....)

Did you do it as a Service Pack or as a Hotfix? If I'm not mistaken nLite will do it either way.

"Stay tuned"  - FINAL RELEASE BEFORE MONDAY (ouch -- my ears....)

I for one can wait; I know how tedious and fussy all this stuff is (more then enough work for one person), and would much rather it was released "when it's ready" then see a frazzled and burned out Gurgelmeyer rush to please everyone, and then have to deal with annoying and silly issues after the fact.

Remember it's Microsoft not Gurgelmeyer that was dragging it's heels, has broken promises, and not only made all this necessery, but has repeatedly missed release dates.

Don't pressure the Gurgelmeyer -- he is your "Fwend"!

:hello:

Hi,

Hmm - I've been giving it some thought.  Releasing the full cumulative Service Pack 5 might not be such a bad idea - mostly because that's what everybody wanted in the first place, right?  I'll have a chat with Will.  :D

Making localized versions will probably be a walk in the park; but - like SP4 - the english SP5 will not install/integrate into a non-english W2K.

Finally it would make me really happy if anyone could test SP5 on Windows 2000 Datacenter and Windows Powered (the fifth and really rare edition of 2k) before it's released.  It is already being tested on Windows 2000 Server and Advanced Server by one of the really cool guys in here.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer

I was sure that Microsoft scrapped Windows Powered, which is Windows 2000 Embedded.

@slippykillsticks - I didn't do that test myself - a friend of mine did. I'll ask him :yes:

@hoak - WISH YOU WERE MY BOSS ;) - I'm not releasing anything until it's done. And I don't even take my own word for it - some really cool guys are helping me with the testing. If anything whatsoever seems wrong I'll postpone the release for as long as it takes to get it 100% right - because less just won't do. Anyway, I'll put on my favourite CD, sit back with a nice cup of coffee and do something completely different for the rest of the day. I do need to unwind a bit.

@Aegis - they might have officially discontinued "Powered;" but SP4 and every hotfix I've seen (which is quite a lot) support "Powered." So I imagine it might still be out there somewhere - then again I do have quite a vivid imagination at times ... :lol:

Gurgelmeyer, I haven't seen 'Powered but I've played with Windows 2000 embedded, and I have absolutely no idea how you'd roll SP4 or even slipstream it considering how this version of Windows works...

The Embedded edition of Windows uses a sort of Lego/Tinker-Toy like 'Target Designer' that manually creates a Windows image file, it's nothing like the install images we see for NT, 2000, XP, or Server 2003... The images you create can be so feature barren that installer based products can't even be installed to them...

Perhaps you're supposed to manually extract SP4 and individually replace files? Haven't really played with Windows embedded enough to know, one way or another... There are feature complete and fully functional demos around however...

On a totally unrelated note there is a Polish guy that created a patch that replaces the Windows XP memory manager with the Server 2003 memory manager that apparently improved XP boot time and applicaton performance... I wonder if this same method would work on Windows 2000 and offer similar performance improvement. The files were taken from an SP or hotfix apparently but all the documentation is in Polish so it's pretty hard to see what he's actually doing but there were some favorable fourm posts about it.

:}

Edited by hoak

2fdv

On your site you recommend to change ntdetect.com and ntldr from W2k to WinXP files in order W2k loads faster. Would it be better to change them to the same files from W2k3? And does this really work?

Regards,

Oleg 2

Gurgelmeyer,

On a totally unrelated note there is a Polish guy that created a patch that replaces the Windows XP memory manager with the Server 2003 memory manager that apparently improved XP boot time and applicaton performance... I wonder if this same method would work on Windows 2000 and offer similar performance improvement.  The files were taken from an SP or hotfix apparently but all the documentation is in Polish so it's pretty hard to see what he's actually doing but there were some favorable fourm posts about it.

Where is that? Come on, does that really do a good tweaking?

On a totally unrelated note there is a Polish guy that created a patch that replaces the Windows XP memory manager with the Server 2003 memory manager that apparently improved XP boot time and applicaton performance... I wonder if this same method would work on Windows 2000 and offer similar performance improvement.  The files were taken from an SP or hotfix apparently but all the documentation is in Polish so it's pretty hard to see what he's actually doing but there were some favorable fourm posts about it.

Link?

Link?

I am pretty sure he is talking about the Mindows Project, which started out as Minxp, but stemmed from a thread concerning the minimization of the System32 folder to a very small size.

Link: Mindows Project

I'm sorry I just assumed you guys would know more about it then I do. The name of the project is: Windows XP POWER LiTE 1.74, subtitled: with memory controler from Windows 2k3 Server... It's definately not the "Mindows Project"... :rolleyes:

The guys web site here was dead for a while but now doesn't appear to be the original site... :unsure: I found the file on bittorrent, the actual file name is Windows_XP_PLD_1.74.exe (335.79Kb) it's a RAR installer that contains NTLDR, a reg file, and some other stuff (can't remember what all)...

I didn't have Windows XP installed at the time I downloaded it, don't read Polish, thought what little there was in English sounded very compelling but didn't trust the whole affair and deleted the thing... I've since learned the same guy made something called Windows 2002 Optimizer...

And that folks is all I know...

Edited by hoak