Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

Considering the volume of work and care Gurgelmeyer has put into this project -- and that:

· it will be done better then the Microsoft SPs or Rollup

· it fixes things Microsoft has not

· incorporate lost and undocumented fixes

· will improve Windows 2000 compatability

· will offer some 2000/XP parity

· allows for slipstreaming just like a Service Pack

· includes SP5 hotfixes and patches

I think Gurgelmeyer should name his project "The Unofficial Windows Service Pack 5" to garner it the recognition and appreciation a project of this magnitude deserves -- and equally importantly help people correctly understand what is being offered.

I also hope Gurgelmeyer might offer some rudimentary documentation of what he's done and how he did it for the future sustainablity of the project in his absence, or in the absence of his enthusiasm.

Gurgelmeyer is offering Fans of Windows 2000 that like the simplicity and cleaner design of this iteration of Window, and those stuck with Windows 2000 for logistic or financial reasons a new lease on longevity and sustainability.  Considering the closed nature of the OS, and Microsoft's spotty support and awkward patch design we couldn't be luckier then to have someone of Gurgelmeyer's caliber working on such a project!

:)

Amen

Gurgelmeyer couldn't receive too much thanks for this.

A few questions I use Nlite is this compatable with Nlite if so does it install like service pack or hotfix? Should sp-4 be installed first or does it incorporate in sp-5 that is in sp-4.

Just wondering

He said he has not tested it with nlite yet but he plans to support it, I believe. Dont think it really would matter how it installs just that it does correctly. :P Though sure he will explain. ;)

I believe he has said that it only needs SP3 to be installed not SP4. Therefore I would be lead to believe that it includes SP4 or someting like it. :unsure:

I'm sure he will give a better anwser. :hello:

Edited by war59312

I'd like to add my thanks to Gurgelmeyer for all his time and effort on this project.

M$ rollup package is post SP4 and I think Gurgelmeyer is making this unofficial package compatible with it. As such I would expect that SP4 should already be installed.

I assume we ought to be able to slipstream the URP into an install disk? Would a slipstream program such as XPcreate or Autostreamer be appropriate? Was Nlite mentioned in the context of slipstreaming rather than for its pruning capabilities?

Edited by DanceMan

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your many kind words :)

I better do a summary (for those who have joined this thread recently).

I'm doing two projects:

- Project 1 is the unofficial Service Pack 5 for Windows 2000 - or just SP5.

SP5 is cumulative in the sense that it does not require SP4. Furthermore it fully supports slipstreaming. SP5 contains everything in SP4 and the latest versions of every single hotfix ever made for Windows 2000 with SP4 (I think) and its built-in components (such as COM+ 1.0, IIS 5, IE 5.01, etc, etc) including the "MS URP1", which is really just another hotfix. SP5 contains hundreds (!) of bugfixes which are not in the "MS URP1" and not available from Windows Update.

I started out by making a non-cumulative "Update Pack" for Windows 2000 SP4. I had several reasons: /integrate is not supported by all hotfix executables, a fully updated Windows 2000 would no longer fit on a CD if the hotfixes were integrated manually, it would take forever to install because several hundred hotfix executables would run during setup, it would be unreliable for the very same reason, the registry would grow significantly, and finally the distribution share would be a complete mess.

So the first step was to put all the hotfixes into one hotfix - the "Update Pack". This way all the hotfixes could at least be safely and conveniently installed and removed. Second step was to implement automatic slipstreaming. But the only thing that didn't seem possible with the Unofficial Rollup 1 way of doing things was slipstreaming! At least not with the built-in /integrate switch. So I finally pulled myself together and made a "Service Pack" version instead, because this way it's possible to support the /integrate switch. So now I got a SP5 (have to add five more reg-entries, but otherwise it's done).

The "Update Pack" was later renamed to "Unofficial Rollup 1" btw - or just URP1. This rename has caused much confusion. Wonder why... :whistle: Anyway, the "Unofficial Rollup 1" from last month is available for public download. Many more hotfixes have been added since then, but I've chosen not to release any new build which doesn't support the /integrate switch.

Back on topic: why don't I release SP5 then? The answer is simple: it's HUGE (almost 200MB when compressed) and the reason for this is, that it's cumulative! So I'm going to make a non-cumulative version which will require SP4. I don't expect it to be complicated at all compared to what I've already been through.

OK - enough about the SP5 project :D

- Project 2 is the unofficial Option Pack 1 for Windows 2000.

The Option Pack is the one that will only require SP3. It will contain all the usual components available for Windows 2000 SP3-SP4, such as IE6, MDAC27, MSI31, WMP9, NET11, DX9, etc etc, including all hotfixes for those. And it will support the /integrate switch! I've not worked on this project some time now, but I'm looking forward to get back to it. The packages available for download are simple repacked versions of a few of the Option Pack components. The final Option Pack will contain all these components in one, with the possible exception of IE6.

Hope this clarifies things just a little bit B)

Btw I love the idea of doing a driver pack.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer! :D

Will you be releasing the 'full cumulative' edition of SP5 (I hope so :blushing:)? I'm sure there are many willing parties that would be willing to host it; sites like Major Geeks etc. have all the badwidth and space.

If you don't have the time to track down hosts for such sutff I'm sure there are more then a few willing parties here that would do the leg work for you (me among them)...

Also if you'd like some help writing some lucid documentation for the project I'd be willing...

:hello:

Edited by hoak

Gurgelmeyer,

what a great job you are doing here, fantastic!

How about your plans of releasing localised versions of your URP? I remember you mentioned it earlier, but I guess the whole project took much more time than previously estimated, so is there any way we can help you out, apart from grabbing all the necessary localised hotfixes from M$? By the way, will the English version at least be installable on localised versions, or will it produce errors?

If you are already collecting votes for languages, Italian and German would be my preferences ...

Good luck,

keep up the good work :thumbup !

-winguy

If there's an official one, why do you need this unofficial one? Maybe it's been brought up before, but I haven't the time to read twenty pages :D.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out ;). BTW are you sure claiming Microsoft is the publisher of the pack is legal?

We need an unofficial one because even with this new official rollup, Windows Update detects 11 Critical Updates and 4 Recommended Updates for Windows 2000. There are even more because after installing those and rebooting, it detects updates for those updates :wacko:

We also want to be able to slipstream things like Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1, DirectX 9.0, and a bunch of other stuff too. One way to do that is to "package" these components as "hotfixes" and then integrate them into an installation source tree.

BTW I don't think Gurgelmeyer is claiming that Microsoft is the publisher of this Unofficial Rollup. He may be using a similar file-naming scheme, but it is definitely labelled URP (Unofficial Rollup Package)

See the screenshot.

Hi,

Hmm - I've been giving it some thought. Releasing the full cumulative Service Pack 5 might not be such a bad idea - mostly because that's what everybody wanted in the first place, right? I'll have a chat with Will. :D

Making localized versions will probably be a walk in the park; but - like SP4 - the english SP5 will not install/integrate into a non-english W2K.

Finally it would make me really happy if anyone could test SP5 on Windows 2000 Datacenter and Windows Powered (the fifth and really rare edition of 2k) before it's released. It is already being tested on Windows 2000 Server and Advanced Server by one of the really cool guys in here.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

- Project 1 is the unofficial Service Pack 5 for Windows 2000 - or just SP5.

Perhaps Unoficial Service Pack (USP) 5.0 Wait, that would be another name change. :blushing:

Furthermore it fully supports slipstreaming. 
OOOH you say the nicest things!
So I'm going to make a non-cumulative version which will require SP4.

Fine by me! With the slipstream, it can be added easy.

Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?

The final Option Pack will contain all these components in one, with the possible exception of IE6.

What a gentleman! Catering to those who can leave the bloat behind! <envy>

If the IC pkg only had a slipstream...

Meanwhile, TommyP to the rescue.

Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?

:whistle:

Update: Unofficial SP 5 works perfectly with nLite ;)

SP5 is not yet perfect however. I'm going through a few hundred registry settings with a toothcomb to make sure everything is at least 100.7% correct.

Maybe I should look into slipstreaming the IC package (IE6) as the first thing when SP5 is done...

"Stay tuned" :rolleyes: - FINAL RELEASE BEFORE MONDAY (ouch -- my ears....)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

Been playing with the MSoft urp. the integrate replaces a bunch of files - but still puts itself in the svpack folder to run during install. Same ol same ol.

If only there was a slipstream. :}

Wonder why it creates a separate folder for WMS instead of just replacing the files?

edit:

btw: Doing it the Msoft way (updates in svcpack) removing the svpacks

that the MSurp replaced cut out 43 MB but adding the urp 31 MB.

Reduction of 12MB -HOWEVER- the "integrate" increased the I386 Dir size by

a Whopping 54 MB yeilding a CD that would be 42 MB larger.

All that and the C*** isn't even slipstreamed. YUCH.

Save us oh Gurgelmeyer - you are our only hope!

Edited by Electrician

MS URP doesn't "really" integrate like a SP. I guess the wms folder is some sort of substitute for replacing wms4.cab. This is where the files belong (part of a SP5 build log):

i386\NSCM.EXE -> I386\nscm.exe

i386\NSCM.EXE -> I386\wms4.cab\nscm.exe

i386\NSIISLOG.DLL -> I386\nsiislog.dll

i386\NSIISLOG.DLL -> I386\wms4.cab\nsiislog.dll

i386\NSISAPI.EXE -> I386\wms4.cab\nsisapi.exe

i386\NSPMON.EXE -> I386\wms4.cab\nspmon.exe

Usually NSISAPI.EXE and NSPMON.EXE only exists inside the cab.

Edited by Gurgelmeyer