Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

well as far as i understand it, there wont be any service packs (or large rollup updates i think) although I imagine they will continue to provide security hotfixes for a while longer...

...after all, 98 security hotfixes "have" been coming along for years after they stopped support for it initially.

Regards,

N.

Hi,

@JPry565 -

Mainstream support (no-charge incident support) for Windows 2000 ends June 30, 2005.

Extended support for Windows 2000 ends June 30, 2010.

Security hotfixes/updates for Windows 2000 ends March 31, 2010.

Service Pack 4 is the last Service Pack for Windows 2000.

The Update Rollup will be the last publicly availabe update which fixes any bugs that are not security related.

@soldier1st - my Option Pack will require SP3 only. My Update Pack will require SP4.

Best,

Gurgelmeyer

Thanks B)

Option Pack Beta is running a bit late - but it's coming along.

Just had to adjust the hotfix analyzer for the Update Pack a bit more, so it can auto-correct the UPDATE.INF from the MS URP. If that URP wasn't digitally signed, I wouldn't believe that MS did it - IMHO: it's a mess. :unsure:

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer

(working hard :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi -

I haven't posted for awhile, but I'm alive and working harder than ever before on the Option Pack. IE6 repacking has turned out to be complicated beyond belief - but that just makes me work even harder. :yes:

A quick recap (for those who read this for the first time):

1) I'm doing an Update Pack with all the W2k Post-SP4 hotfixes NOT included in the MS URP - I finished that a long time ago, but it is not publicly availble just yet. No security catalogs are broken, and no "hacked files" are installed. Also it may be safely uninstalled.

2) I'm doing an Option Pack with all the latest 'good' components, such as MDAC 2.7 Post-SP1, MSXML 3.0 SP5, MSI 3.0, WMP 9.0, WMP Codecs, IE 6.0 Post-SP1, MS RDP Client, Script Engines 5.6, and many more things - all hotfixes/updates are of course built-in, so you don't have to download a thing from WU. No security catalogs are broken, and no "hacked files" are installed. Also it may be safely uninstalled. (There is a more comprehensive list of components in one of my previous posts)

3) I'm going to do a slipstreamer capable of doing a "deep slipstream" of both the Update Pack and the Option Pack. (Not a "lazy slipstream" like the MS hotfix /integrate option does - yuck!)

Both the Update Pack and the Option Pack are "Type 1 hotfixes" (SFXCAB's). No more IE6SETUP.EXE, WM_SETUP.EXE, KB131233.EXE, MDAC_TYP.EXE, etc. Just one file with all hotfixes merged, and a similar one with all the optional components.

OK - gotta get back to IE6 for now - or maybe I'll relax and do DX9c or WMP9 instead - none of the other components are nearly as complicated to repack as IE6 - I've checked :yes:

Hopefully I'll have some "real news" soon - just wanted you to know that the project is alive and well B)

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :)

I finally tamed the three headed nineteen-legged IE6SP1 thingy - so here is the status on the Option Pack:

1) MDAC 2.7 Post-SP1 - done.

2) MSXML 3.0 SP5 - done.

3) JET Post-SP8 - done.

4) KB824151+Q832483 - done.

5) KB837001+KB829558 (DAO 3.60) - done.

6) JET40REPL update - done.

7) Script 5.6 - done.

8) IE6SP1+OE6SP1+WAB + hotfixes - done.

9) MSI 3.1 v2 - tbd.

10) WMP9+WMP9 Codecs + hotfixes - tbd.

11) DX9c + hotfixes - tbd.

12) .NET 1.1 + SP1 - tbd.

13) RDP Client - tbd.

14) RDP "Server" - postponed.

15) MSJVM 3810 - tbd.

16) Various runtimes (VC, VB, etc) - tbd.

17) ...all the stuff I forgot in the above list (except MDAC 2.8 SP0 + Messenger) - tbd.

18) Shell icon update - to be researched.

19) SLIPSTREAMING TOOL for "deep integration" of Update Pack and/or Option Pack - tbd.

I don't expect 9-17 to take nearly as long as IE6SP1 - so hopefully it will soon be BETA TIME B)

Best Regards,

Gurgelmeyer

Yep - June 14 - that's my current guess B)

And it even has some exciting new file system support for DRM built in (a friend of mine sent me a copy) - for those who are not as excited as Microsoft about this, I'll do a repack of the URP without it. ;)